Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
they organised a High Tea at The Plaza Hotel in NYC for my daughter's Sweet 16 birthday celebration
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Tried to get limited edition Adidas sneakers, and they offered to assist in signing me up for the Adidas email newsletter. =/

I then found them on eBay, but clearly that might be too "out of the box" for them =/
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:23 pm

I asked for restaurant recommendations in San Diego and I got these.

Double Standard
695 6th Ave, San Diego, CA 92101

Amaya at The Grand Del Mar
5300 Grand Del Mar Ct, San Diego, CA 92130

Común Kitchen & Tavern
935 J St, San Diego, CA 92101

Wow... none of them sound interesting or appetizing to say the least. I used to get better recommendations from them before.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
I asked for restaurant recommendations...
What guidelines did you give them in terms of cuisine, ambiance, cost, dress, etc?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:12 am

How to proceed?

Curious how you all think I should react here.

As I've mentioned upthread, I firmly believe you need to manage expectations with Concierge - it's more delegation, not miracle working. Especially restaurant reservations.

Here's the situation from yesterday: on Wednesday, I emailed them that we had friends in town, I'd checked OpenTable on 4 restaurants for a table for 4 Saturday night and flexible for time (7-930) but nothing available. I listed the 4 in priority and asked them just to call and see if anything could be done. Again, low expectations given OpenTable results.

They came back with the same, however our #1 wasn't taking reservations during prime time hours, but they would add us to some "priority" "jump to front o ft he list" list and to mention that upon arrival. Sounded weird , but OK. Our friends and us joked about it but we decided to go there over a different place because , hey, Amex came through.

I think you know where this is going... Showed up. The restaurant of course had no idea of this other "list priority" and without trying to pull DYKWIA we even politely just asked maybe if the manager knew anything.... The manager AND owner were there that night and in a nice way laughed and said they'd never heard of this and would call Amex on Monday to tell them as such.

We waited at the bar 45 mins and enjoyed our night anyway.

Question: how do we give strong, pointed feedback here? We were OK getting a drink and not in a rush, but I feel this new concierge really over promised and misled expectations here - pretty much what a concierge is NOT supposed to do. It *could* have been an embarrassing situation or ruined an evening if timing was crucial, and as I mentioned, we already suspected it sounded weird, but I'm curious what the crowd here thinks my reaction should be?

Datapoint: this was done all via email, no phone calls, not sure if that impacts anything.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:50 pm

I've actually had moderate success w/these guys.

They get tables that I can't get with OpenTable or directly. They aren't great times, but more than I can get otherwise.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Had the same experience where we couldn't get reservations at a restaurant a few weeks out. I called concierge and they were able to get us an opening, although not at an ideal hour. But getting in definitely beats what we were expecting before, which was being SOL.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
What guidelines did you give them in terms of cuisine, ambiance, cost, dress, etc?
Well this is the email request I sent word for word...

I'll be in San Diego between March XXst - March YYth (two full days on Sunday and Monday) and I was hoping you can provide me with some suggestions on restaurants. I'm looking to experience the best food in San Diego (whether it's a hole-in-the-wall or fine dining, doesn't matter). What's more important is that it's characteristic of San Diego (they don't need to be restaurants that take reservations, though it could be). As for types of food, I'm really open to any suggestions. Generally I eat most kinds... I like French, New American, Mexican, Japanese, Thai, Malaysian, most ethnic food... not interested in Indian or Italian or primarily vegetarian options.

I'll have a car so driving 10-20 minutes is not a problem.

There is no urgency on this, but I appreciate it if you can get the suggestions to me at least a week or so before departure.
I guess maybe this is not the kind of request to place with Amex, but I need to research myself.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
Canadian Centurion Concierge

They got me a reservation for 4 at Eleven Madison Park on a Friday evening with 3 weeks notice.

The reservation was for 5:45pm, and I said that was a little early, but we'd go with it. When my party arrived, we were initially told they had no record of the booking. After some investigation they told us that Amex had changed the reservation to 10pm. No one contacted me to let me know.

EMP told us we could either return at 10pm, or have a cocktail in the bar and wait for a few minutes while they sorted out a table for us. We waited, were seated promptly, and had an excellent meal.

I was with friends, but it could have been very embarrassing if I'd been with business clients I was trying to impress. Still, EMP handled the situation perfectly and with great charm.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by antirealist
They got me a reservation for 4 at Eleven Madison Park on a Friday evening with 3 weeks notice.

The reservation was for 5:45pm, and I said that was a little early, but we'd go with it. When my party arrived, we were initially told they had no record of the booking. After some investigation they told us that Amex had changed the reservation to 10pm. No one contacted me to let me know.

EMP told us we could either return at 10pm, or have a cocktail in the bar and wait for a few minutes while they sorted out a table for us. We waited, were seated promptly, and had an excellent meal.

I was with friends, but it could have been very embarrassing if I'd been with business clients I was trying to impress. Still, EMP handled the situation perfectly and with great charm.
It seems the switch in providers (the US Concierge is based in Canada - I know this because I was trying to speak to a manager there after a mix up on a restaurant reservation quite similar in DC and her return phone number to call was Canadian) leave just a bit of a gap. There seem to be these small things, like no notification of a switch (they _were_ trying to help, but missed the crucial part of that.. LETTING YOU KNOW)... in 2 situations with restaurant reservations for me in the last 3 weeks, there were crucial bits on the reservations not communicated. Both were with friends, as you say, and we had a drink and rolled with it. Could have been much more embarrassing with different company.

I will say, when I escalated one of them - their response was quite impressive - listened to phone calls, calling the restaurant general manager and reporting back.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Had success in Orlando recently. Restaurant we wanted that night was no longer taking reservations on OpenTable, so I SMS'd Amex Concierge to see what they could do for our group of 8. We were at the pool and I didn't feel like calling myself (either the restaurant or Concierge). It was not a Fine Dining participant.

Concierge called me back about 20 minutes later saying they had called the restaurant and while there was no reservation, the manager had a note that we would jump the line upon arrival and get the next available table (they had an approximate time we wanted to be there).

Fast forward about three hours. We show up, hostess says it's a 45 min wait. I mention that we had called ahead, she says they don't do call aheads. I mention manager's name (which Amex had given me) and that she should have left a note for us. Hostess flips through her clipboard, scribbles something, waves someone over, and takes us straight to a table as it is being cleared.

Had a great dinner at a very fun establishment!
ubiquitous1984 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Had success in Orlando recently. Restaurant we wanted that night was no longer taking reservations on OpenTable, so I SMS'd Amex Concierge to see what they could do for our group of 8. We were at the pool and I didn't feel like calling myself (either the restaurant or Concierge). It was not a Fine Dining participant.

Concierge called me back about 20 minutes later saying they had called the restaurant and while there was no reservation, the manager had a note that we would jump the line upon arrival and get the next available table (they had an approximate time we wanted to be there).

Fast forward about three hours. We show up, hostess says it's a 45 min wait. I mention that we had called ahead, she says they don't do call aheads. I mention manager's name (which Amex had given me) and that she should have left a note for us. Hostess flips through her clipboard, scribbles something, waves someone over, and takes us straight to a table as it is being cleared.

Had a great dinner at a very fun establishment!
Goose - this is precisely what was SUPPOSED to happen for 1 of our issues - but basically post your confirmation callback, our stories were the exact opposite
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:39 am
Used to be hamajicky

I asked them to make a restaurant reservation in Paris. They told me they couldn't do it because the restaurant doesn't take "third-party" reservations. I did a little research and found out that that is only true on the weekends. I texted them and said try again, the rule against third-party reservations is only on the weekends. Two days later, I had the reservation.

Glad I got it, but I kind of feel like they wanted to take the easy way out and say "sorry, can't help."
Old Mar 20, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold; Hyatt Exp.; Hilton/Marriott Gold; CSR; Citi Prestige; Amex Plat, EDP, Gold, etc.
I called several days before the reservation window opened for June and asked for help securing a reservation at noma on any of 3 consecutive dates. They wrote me a few hours after reservations opened to tell me they tried and were unsuccessful. In all fairness, Visa Signature concierge also failed to deliver. Fortunately, I got up in the middle of the night to take a whack on my own and was able to get a reservation. Seems all they did was have 1 person log in at the appointed hour like anyone else.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:51 pm

Haven't had great luck recently.

Went to Japan and asked for Sushi Jiro or Sushi Saito for any day within the 2 weeks that we would be there (this was over a month in advance). No luck (not really surprised). Asked for recommendations of similar quality and got recommendations that didn't seem great (both from reading reviews and from speaking to friends who live in Tokyo). So that was disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.