Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Whoops, I cancelled my Canadian Amex before my bonus points posted!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG

So I have made an amateur churning mistake and in a hurry getting ready to leave for vacation cancelled my business gold before the 40000 points have posted. I made the $5000 spend about 6 weeks ago and recently sent them a message, getting the 8-10 weeks response. I cancelled it yesterday during a mini-churn to get the biz platinum(50000 sign up), which I have been approved for and also currently hold a personal platinum. Can I still get my points? What should I di?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:40 pm

My points posted immediately once I crossed the $5k threshold, mid billing cycle, no waits. If it's been 6 weeks, I wonder if you were ever going to get it anyways.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine went into the pending bucket when I crossed the threshold, but did not become available until the rest of my points in the pending bucket moved to available (ie, they moved over along with the previous cycle's points)

As for who to call, the number on the back of your card is a good start. The fact that you are a personal platinum member is probably a good thing.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
Usually they post quickly for me too, which is why I emailed last week. I called this morning and after explaining what I did, the agent has put in a request for me and says I should have an answer within 3-5 days, and that if posted they would go to my platinum mr account now.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I hope Amex will soon put a stop to this nonsense.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
It's their fault for someone cancelling the card within a couple months of getting it?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

If it makes you feels better, I did have the card over 3 months and put about $10000.00 on it ( more on my platinum ) and only cancelled because I am leaving for 6 week vacation and not bringing it with me. I have now upgraded to biz plat for points earning ability and will pay $399 a year instead of $0, so I'm pretty sure they don't mind. The ultimate consequence of amex giving me the ability to try these cards for free, is that I am now happy to pay for their premium products and use them regularly unlike many "churners", I just like to be getting some points if I have to pay the fee.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kay sedia
... I have now upgraded to biz plat for points earning ability and will pay $399 a year
I assume your cards are issued in Canada, is that correct?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I assume your cards are issued in Canada, is that correct?
Yes they are.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Thank you. It's best to mention the card's nationality, otherwise Americans assume it is American .
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Update

I finally got my40000 points! I called in and was told they would reinstate my biz ^MR account and post to my gold card and waited the 10 weeks then called again. Posted same day. Very lucky I think.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Agree. Churning should be eliminated. Keep it or lose it for a year or two. We all pay higher fees because of churners. Not to mention raising the mileage required for flight awards because the number of bonus miles devalues normally earned miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.