Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX vs Chase Cards - difference in how they post Airline charges not made directly

AMEX vs Chase Cards - difference in how they post Airline charges not made directly

Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry

Ive noticed that AMEX and Chase cards post airline charges differently when made through a travel agent (not made directly through the airline).

This was an interesting fact when using the cards for the purposes of getting more then 1X points....when you do not book directly with the airline....as there are some situations for some where you might be unable to.

In this case it was 2 separate UA flights in 2014

AMEX posted by the name of the Travel Agency - in the details said "Doing business as United Airlines" - no 2x points

Chase card posted as United Airlines. - received 2x points
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:00 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Same travel agency?

Was the Chase card MasterCard or VISA network?

Both transactions were airfare only, flights marketed and operated by UA? (No complications such as codeshares, package tours, etc.)
Old Oct 29, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Same travel agency?

Was the Chase card MasterCard or VISA network?

Both transactions were airfare only, flights marketed and operated by UA? (No complications such as codeshares, package tours, etc.)
Yes, same travel agency

Chase Visa.....(on both Hyatt and United Cards over past couple of years)

And yes airfare only....Chase last done in Feb.....the Amex was done beginning of this month.... And it was the same UA flight route (different dates of course): EWR-HKG
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:17 pm

I've also seen the difference on Orbitz. I thought Orbitz usually posts directly as the airline, but this time on my Amex gold it didn't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.