Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Corporate Platinum seems to have an MR account on it??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

So I don't really use my corporate amex because I like earning points on a combination of a few other cards. However my company was willing to get me a platinum card for the lounge benefits. So I just got it (upgrade from the gold I had) I activated it and can see the account online including a MR account. I thought I would have to have a personal amex with MR for that to work?? The only personal amex I currently have is an SPG. Although I did have MR many years ago. What is the story on that will I earn MR points or not??
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
When I had a Corporate Amex (green) I had to pay an annual fee of $90 to earn MR points, and since I already had a personal MR stash I linked the two cards. Maybe what the website is doing is linking your card to your old account, but the card won't accrue any points if you don't pay the fee. Or maybe Platinum Corporate Cards don't need to pay the fee? Hopefully somebody else can answer for you.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The employer's contract with American Express determines whether Corporate accounts are eligible to earn points. See the chart here:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/.../catalog/tandc

• Card/Product Name: Corporate Platinum CardŽ from American Express
  • Automatically Enrolled?: Maybe**
  • Additional Cost to Enroll?: None

** If a company has not blocked Membership Rewards, the Cards will be automatically enrolled in the Membership Rewards program.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
At my old job we all had the green corporate card, but I was upgraded to the platinum card which had membership rewards included for free, rather than the fee to enroll the green card in the program (it was still 75 bucks at the time). It also included the lounge access, just like you, so perhaps that's the same benefit you're getting. You don't need a personal card to get MR if your corporate card is eligible; I've been accumulating them since 2006 and I just got my first personal amex last year.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:00 pm

Does your company have a true corporate card? You are probably seeing the MR account for the primary amex card holder. You can find out some very private information about that person if Amex has not fixed the problem . Amex attempted a fix years ago but it was only a partial fix. Prior you could access any hotel airline FF program number linked. So you could easily keep an eye on your boss

Originally Posted by SF1K
I activated it and can see the account online including a MR account.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
... You are probably seeing the MR account for the primary amex card holder.
This would only apply if it were a Business account, rather than a Corporate account. It's pretty easy to distinguish the products by looking at the front of the card. One says "Business" and the other says "Corporate".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.