Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Membership Rewards (USA) 50% bonus to SPG 10.16.2014 - 11.30.2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
It appears that this Starwood offer is available only to USA cardholders who hold a Centurion or Platinum card.

If your account does not show this offer you may instead be eligible for the Hilton transfer bonus.

The standard SPG transfer ratio is 1000:333.
The promotional transfer ratio is 1000:500.
Print Wikipost

Targeted: Membership Rewards (USA) 50% bonus to SPG 10.16.2014 - 11.30.2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:37 am
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Thumbs up Targeted: Membership Rewards (USA) 50% bonus to SPG 10.16.2014 - 11.30.2014

Get 50% more Starpoints® when you transfer Membership Rewards® points to your SPG® account by 11/30/2014. Terms apply.
The standard transfer rate is 1000:333.

The promotional transfer rate is 1000:500.

Typically this deal is offered only once per year.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:24 am

So essentially can transfer to most airline partners of SPG for a 1 to .625 rate at 20,000 SPG points. (40k AmEx to 20k SPG to 25k Airline)

Last edited by nrdk; Oct 16, 2014 at 9:03 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:35 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrdk
...any airline partner of SPG ...
Notable exception would be UA.

• 40000 Membership Rewards
  • 20000 Starpoints
  • 12500 MileagePlus
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mia
Notable exception would be UA.

• 40000 Membership Rewards
  • 20000 Starpoints
  • 12500 MileagePlus
Edited.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Centurian and Platinum Cards only?

Just noticed when looking further....

Through November 30, 2014, Membership Rewards is offering a 50% bonus on points transfers to SPG. This offer is available exclusively for US Platinum and Centurion cardmembers.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UA, Avios
My other option is Avios.. and it's really tough for me to compare the two programs since I never used hotel points on my vacations in the past. Any thoughts on this?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:43 am
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJLandsverk
...offer is available exclusively for US Platinum and Centurion cardmembers.
Possible. I do not have access to an account without an associated Platinum card, but when I look at membershiprewards.com using an incognito browser window I find two differences:

• 50% Starwood bonus is missing
  • 30% Hilton bonus is shown, mentioned in THIS post

This suggests the Starwood bonus may be targeted, though not necessarily by card type. Not sure what to make of the Hilton bonus showing on the public site, but not when logged in. It could be that Everyday, Green and Gold accounts are eligible for the Hilton bonus, and only Platinum and Centurion for the Starwood bonus, but I do not recall a previous offer which excluded Platinum and Centurion.

Last edited by mia; Oct 16, 2014 at 11:48 am
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
FYI -

I logged in on my Platinum account, it had the Starwood offer and not the Hilton. Then, I logged in my wife's Gold account. It had Hilton and not Starwood.

Interesting. Not sure I'd avail myself of either offer, but just things that make you go hmmm.....
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Under my US Centurion, I have the SPG special offer, and the Hilton standard offer.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS GOLD
I only have Everyday card - I received Hilton offer but NOT SPG. I also have VS offer.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta FO
I have an AMEX Biz Platinum OPEN card. Can someone clue me in on where I can find the promotion and use it? Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:17 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
...where I can find the promotion and use it? Thanks.
Go to membershiprewards.com
Login using the GREEN button
Click: Travel > Transfer points [Get Started]
Click the Hotels tab
Click the Starwood tile
You should see:

500 Starpoints =
1,000 Membership Rewards® Points

Last edited by mia; Oct 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm Reason: Corrected to SPG
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk
My other option is Avios.. and it's really tough for me to compare the two programs since I never used hotel points on my vacations in the past. Any thoughts on this?
Last year when they had the 20% bonus for Avios I converted to MR to Avios and my wife and I used them to fly multiple short haul AA domestic trips for very few miles. Avios are worth 2-3 cents a mile when used in this fashion when saver fares are available. However if you plan a European vacation SPG points can be worth 3.5 to 4 cents a point at some of the hotels. Since I have a stash of UR points from Chase that also can be converted to Avios I think I may take advantage of this offer. I got free SPG gold status with my Platinum card and wife and I are planning a trip to Italy. A stay at the Westin Excelsior Florence is almost $1000/night but only 25,000 SPG points. Of course the counter argument is that if i were paying cash I would opt for the many well reviewed cheaper hotels in Florence.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta FO
Originally Posted by mia
Go to membershiprewards.com
Login using the GREEN button
Thank you!

I did a little math for our upcoming trip to Dubai. A $130ish night room costs 7000 points a night. I have 53,000 AMEX MR points to transfer, which nets me 26,500 SPG Points using this special. That's good for say, 4 nights, or a savings of $520 vs paying cash for 4 nights at the hotel. For those same 53,000 MR points, I can transfer to Delta 1:1 and earn a coach Europe trip, which is worth more like $1,000 or even more. Now, before you say "good luck" to finding that award on Delta, I have had very good luck in the past finding them.

Am I missing something here? I'm a noob with this stuff, but was under the impression that MR points were valuable, and it was foolish to transfer to Delta.

Last edited by mia; Oct 23, 2014 at 12:00 pm Reason: Prune quotation
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
... I can transfer to Delta 1:1 and earn a coach Europe trip, which is worth more like $1,000 or even more. Now, before you say "good luck" to finding that award on Delta, I have had very good luck in the past finding them
1. Sorry for the confusion, I gave you instructions for finding the Virgin Atlantic offer rather than the Starwood offer, but I see that you found it.

2. You aren't missing anything. The downside of Skymiles is the poor availability of award seats at the lowest redemption level. I think this pertains more to finding business class awards than economy class, but if you are able to find award seats for your route and dates it doesn't matter. Bear in mind that you can transfer to Delta during the booking process after you have confirmed availability. No need to transfer in advance on speculation.

3. Transfer to Starwood is generally not good value. The negative comments about Delta are in comparison to other airline partners, not versus any hotel partner. If you want to earn Starpoints, use the SPG credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.