Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Say goodbye to 15k point threshold annual bonus on AMEX Premier Rewards Gold (USA).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Say goodbye to 15k point threshold annual bonus on AMEX Premier Rewards Gold (USA).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Various
I called to complain about this removal of the benefit without it being replaced by something else or a reduction in fee, and they gave me 25k MR points.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

How long have you had the card?

I signed up in August for the card, hoping to take advantage of the 15k pts, and now that's not even an option for me. I hope they don't refuse to offer me a bonus on the premise that I wouldn't have hit my bonus to begin with, even though that was my goal for 2015.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: Various
Just over a year (Sept 2013 if I recall) - but I do put through a reasonable amount of spend, in particular an international business class flights on a regular basis.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:26 am

When did the 15k bonus hit for *this* year - for those who have gotten it? In the past, it calculates the $30k based on gross spend (not net after credits and returns). I wonder if its the same this year or not. Need to account for it accordingly.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vrbaba
When did the 15k bonus hit for *this* year - for those who have gotten it? .
I believe ours hit in August of this year.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:53 pm

I called to complain about this, and was offered 25K MR points. Took it with no hesitation.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 8:44 pm

Going to online chat and see if I can get the 25k first.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by winsteven13
Going to online chat and see if I can get the 25k first.

Interested in hearing their response! Please update us when you hear back.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 12:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by troyhouse
I called to complain about this, and was offered 25K MR points. Took it with no hesitation.
That's great... I thought of it and forgot. Just upgraded to a Plat last week. Why oh why did I not phone Amex first???
Old Dec 27, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Thefirst
Interested in hearing their response! Please update us when you hear back.
They just gave me a number to the retention department lol
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

I called today and apparently if you have your card before jan 1 2015 you are grandfathered in. I didn't ask if you needed to hit the bonus to be grandfathered in since we did. But this is good news to us.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:00 pm

That's contrary to every communication I've seen thusfar on the topic.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: National Executive, HH Silver, A-List WN
It's unfortunate that if they are grandfathering in some people they haven't communicated it. I called a couple of weeks ago and they never mentioned it, even when specifically asked.

My annual fee doesn't post until April and I am currently debating if I should start putting my spend on another card because there's no incentive to keep doing so.

I guess I have a day or so to decide...lol.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jft3
That's contrary to every communication I've seen thusfar on the topic.
So I called back this morning the this representative said we (the public) are correct in that the spend bonus is going away for everyone. She apologized for the previous rep giving out wrong info. I asked if there is anything they can offer us to stay with AMEX and b/c our account is so new (jan 2014) there isn't.

Any advice to get some points from them? Been reading the retention thread and our spending is much higher than some of the FF'ers who are receiving points to stay with the gold card.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:54 pm

Data point: My AF hit in December. I called in late November to complain about the 15k benefit being taken away, threaten to cancel, etc. Got nowhere with a retention offer. Called this evening and was offered the 25k bonus points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.