Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AmEx [USA] Small Biz Saturday 2014: Nov 29, $10 per transaction, $30 per card.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
A. Overview
1. What is Small Business Saturday (SBS)?
SBS is an annual promotion run by American Express to encourage use of its cards at small/local businesses. 2014 is the fifth year of the promotion. (FT threads for prior years: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.)

2. When is Small Business Saturday 2014?
SBS always takes place on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. In 2014, that falls on Nov. 29.

3. What's the 2014 SBS bonus? How does SBS 2014 differ from prior years?
In 2014, you can earn up to a $30 bonus (3 x $10) per card. See part C below for details.
B. Registration & Eligibility
1. Do I need to pre-register for the promotion?
Yes, you must pre-register each eligible card (see below) on or after Nov. 16. Although the promotion is not targeted, Amex does impose a global limit on enrollments, so early registration is advisable.

2. Where do register?
At the official SBS enrollment page. (You may also be able to register using the "My Offers" section of your Amex online account, but this will usually not work for additional user cards & is completely inapplicable to Amex-branded cards from other issuers, such as Macy's.)

3. Can I register additional-user (AU) cards as well as primary accountholder cards?
Yes. In previous years, any AU card with a unique card number -- i.e., a number different from the primary user's card -- could be registered and used to earn the SBS bonus.

Note: Amex-branded cards from other issuers (such as the Macy's Amex, older Citi AA Amex, etc.) use a single card number for all users on an account. As a result, only one SBS bonus can be earned for these accounts regardless of the number of AU cards.

4. What happens if I fail to register a card in advance?
You will not earn an SBS bonus on that card. Pre-registration is mandatory.

5. Are any Amex cards ineligible for SBS?
Per the terms of the offer, Corporate Cards and all prepaid Card products (other than American Express Serve and Bluebird) are not eligible.
C. Participating in SBS/Earning the Bonus
1. How do I earn the SBS bonus?
Earn the SBS bonus by
  • making one or more in-person transactions of at least $10/transaction
  • on Saturday, Nov. 29
  • using a registered Amex card
  • at a qualifying small business

2. How do I know whether a merchant is a qualifying small business?
A business must be listed on the map at ShopSmallNow.com to qualify.

Note: In prior years, the map has been extremely overinclusive, listing numerous merchants that do not qualify (including political campaigns/PACs and gas/service stations, all of which are excluded from the offer). Thus, the map should only be used as an initial check: if a merchant is not listed on the map, it is not SBS-eligible. (Tip: to locate a merchant, search by name, not by examining the street map. In past years, pinpoints for many merchants have been badly mislocated.)

3. How many times can I earn a bonus per card?
SBS 2014 allows each registered card to earn three $10 bonuses, including 3 qualifying transactions from the same merchant (i.e., buy 3 $10 gift cards from the same merchant in separate transactions).

4. Can I earn the bonus by purchasing gift cards instead of merchandise/food/drink/services?
Yes. Veteran SBS participants often look to minimize their out-of-pocket costs by buying gift cards at qualifying stores/restaurants in the minimum required amount (this year, $10).

5. When will the credit(s) post to my account?
The offer terms state that a credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after Nov 29, 2014. In prior years, credits usually appeared much sooner, either within a week or two or, in some cases, within a few hours after the transaction. UPDATE: Credits for many members began posting on 12/3/14.

6. What if my transaction posts on the following day (Sunday) and not with a date of Nov. 29? Am I out of luck?
Your credit will not post automatically. However, this year (as in past years) members have been able to obtain a manual credit by calling Amex; if necessary, point out to the CSR the Nov. 29 authorization date for the transaction.

7. Are there any other potential pitfalls?
In most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.

In addition, American Express may not receive information that identifies your transaction as a qualifying transaction if the items from your purchase are not all provided to you on Nov 29, 2014. For example, if you purchase an item that is not available until after Nov 29, 2014, that item will not count towards determining whether your transaction qualifies for the offer.
D. Additional Information
1. Where can I find more information about SBS 2014?
See these additional resources:
Print Wikipost

AmEx [USA] Small Biz Saturday 2014: Nov 29, $10 per transaction, $30 per card.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG
Good to know! I can get some really good deals this way.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Any documentation that AU will also get the credit, other than the fact that they have in previous years?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Any documentation that AU will also get the credit, other than the fact that they have in previous years?
During registration I think this will become clear.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
Yea I have the same problem. Now should I leave the card at home and give it to my wife so she can get me $30 back and spend $300 at each merchant? Serious question!
Leaving the cards with your wife is virtually guaranteed to be NPV-negative.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:39 pm

My statement for my AMEX Gold is going to close on Nov 19th and I'm expecting the annual fee to post. I've heard I have 30 days to close the account and get the annual fee back, but is that 30 days based upon the account opening date (which was 10/22 for me) or the date the annual fee was charged? Would be nice to get another $60 before closing the account.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by nic3456
My statement for my AMEX Gold is going to close on Nov 19th and I'm expecting the annual fee to post. I've heard I have 30 days to close the account and get the annual fee back, but is that 30 days based upon the account opening date (which was 10/22 for me) or the date the annual fee was charged? Would be nice to get another $60 before closing the account.
30 days from the date the annual fee was charged. Some credit card companies even give 60 days, but I believe that all give at least 30.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by nic3456
Note that IME Amex prorates the annual fee refund, so if you keep your account open for 30 days after the fee is applied, they will refund ~92% of the annual fee.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 6:02 am

on serve and bb do i need to have $$$ loaded on there or can i just swipe and credit will post?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by edubsmann
on serve and bb do i need to have $$$ loaded on there or can i just swipe and credit will post?
Ummm. Pretty sure the transaction would be declined if you have no money on the card. You have to purchase something first and the credit gets posted a few days later.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
30 days from the date the annual fee was charged. Some credit card companies even give 60 days, but I believe that all give at least 30.
I think it's 30 days from the closing date of the statement where the fee appears.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:18 pm

How do u add au on bb and serve?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Can you have 3 transactions at the same merchant on Saturday or do they have to be different locations?

Thank you
Old Nov 7, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
Anyone have luck ordering online from a small biz?

checked last year's forum no real data points.

though i did see someone say it had to be "in store"
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by explorer84
Anyone have luck ordering online from a small biz?

checked last year's forum no real data points.

though i did see someone say it had to be "in store"
In this vain, has anyone tried receiving an SBS credit by making a purchase with a qualifying merchant by phone? The T&Cs state it must be an "in-store purchase," but as we all know, the T&Cs may sometimes be less restrictive than stated. For those of us who will be out of town over Thanksgiving weekend, it would be nice to be able to make purchases with local businesses back home.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:09 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by I can see for miles
In this vain, has anyone tried receiving an SBS credit by making a purchase with a qualifying merchant by phone? The T&Cs state it must be an "in-store purchase," but as we all know, the T&Cs may sometimes be less restrictive than stated. For those of us who will be out of town over Thanksgiving weekend, it would be nice to be able to make purchases with local businesses back home.
If you call the store and they ring it up at the same register, how would Amex know if you called in or were physically there?

I know that Amex can tell that the card wasn't swiped, but I don't think that is a prerequisite for the SBS credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.