Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand AMEX Platinum Charge Card benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:07 am
Original Poster

New Zealand AMEX Platinum Charge Card benefits?

Hi,

Does anyone here have one of these? There is not a lot of detail on the benefits on the AMEX NZ website.

What is included in the Airline Privileges Programme and what are the Platinum Privilege benefits when booking your accommodation?

Cheers
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I am interested to know as well - hard to compare benefits as they are vaguely detailed on their website
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
One of the posters above contacted me via PM and asked a few questions (quoted below). I thought I'd answer in the thread so that it's here for everyone.

The Amex website is quite vague about the benefits such as:
- access to the Airline Privileges Programme
- Enjoy Platinum's exceptional by invitation only programme
- Receive Platinum Privilege benefits when booking your accommodation

Would you be able to comment on any of the above or just your experience in general with the Platinum Charge Card during the time you had it? If you don't have it anymore, what made you decide to leave and would you have any recommendations?
Background: I have held NZ, Australian, Singaporean, and USA Amex Platinum cards over the past 12 years. I currently only hold a US-issued card, and my knowledge of the NZ card is now a bit out of date - I had that card from 2003 to 2007. At the time the Platinum card was invite only in NZ, and IIRC I was told at the time of issuance there were <80 in NZ.

The annual fee hasn't changed - it was NZD1250 then and is still NZD1250 now according to the Amex website.

In general the benefits are very poor in terms of value on the annual fee, especially when compared to the Platinum benefits in other countries (e.g. no SPG Gold benefit in NZ - although you might be able to make it work anyway).

The main aspect that I valued was the NZ Concierge team. I don't know if there is still a dedicated NZ team based in Auckland, but they were truly excellent and in my case sufficed as a PA-replacement. Email responses were prompt and they did a very good job with a number of things (organizing house moves, etc) that I did not have time or interest to manage myself.

To answer OPs specific questions:
Airline Privileges Program - at the time it was access to companion airfares on NZ, EK and SQ (maybe QF - I don't remember). It did have some value, but you had to buy full C fares on NZ and if discount fares were available it didn't work out. On the other hand, if C fares were all that was available then it did work nicely. Since then the AU and other Platinum cards have been extended to offer "deals" for single travelers as well, but I've never found them particularly useful (ex-AU there were some decent WTP deals on BA for a while).

Invitation Only program - they did do some neat, Auckland centric, events for Platinum cardholders. Mostly fashion related stuff which my girlfriend appreciated but some other things with BMW and...Lexus? I think. I did often get sent invites for various "VIP"/"See and be seen" type events that you'd find covered in the Herald's gossip section.

Platinum Privilege Benefits - this as far as I know is FHR, as documented fairly well elsewhere. I've never taken advantage of it as my employer's corporate rates are usually fairly decent in most places.

Primarily, I ditched the NZ Platinum card because I moved countries. It isn't particularly good value although it does have *some* benefits that could be valuable. If the NZ concierge team is around (not the AU based team) then it could still be valuable if that is a service of value to you and they are still as good as they were years ago.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:14 pm

Thanks for the detailed response. Still on the fence as I would like decent concierge service. Does Amex NZ negotiate the benefits?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by dadig
Thanks for the detailed response. Still on the fence as I would like decent concierge service. Does Amex NZ negotiate the benefits?
In terms of what they offer directly to a cardholder, or the overall benefit portfolio for the card?

Former- I don't know
Latter- I assume it's done by Amex A/NZ.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: AA-1MM
Poor value for money.....

I have lived in various countries (US, Ireland, UK and NZ) and have had a relationship with American Express since 1989.

Do not know about their charge card today, but I had one when I first moved here in 2006 and switched to the credit card in 2009 due to the poor value for money. I cut up my Platinum Rewards Credit card last week simply because it is now even worse value and not worth any annual fee IMHO. Lots of things from the NZ customer service team led me to this point, but the final straw was the poor quality travel insurance. You will likely need another policy from elsewhere (and will need to pay for it), because there are now so many exclusions in the AmEx one. Lots of long stories about problems with AmEx NZ while I was VERY satisfied elsewhere.

As for the other travel benefits, NZ cards do not get SPG Gold, lounge access (anywhere), or even the same level of emergency assistance. It is my understanding that charge card customers these days get close to the same level of benefits as credit card customers, but more Reward Points and a few events / wine tastings. Basically, the benefits are worthless except for the Membership Rewards points. It is the best credit card loyalty program in NZ, bar none. However, it is a mere shadow of what is offered overseas on Rewards.

Here is the link for the partner transfer chart on Membership Rewards: http://www.americanexpress.com/newze...partners.shtml

They used to have IHG (Priority Club) as a partner, but they are gone now. SPG is the only halfway decent transfer partner and the rate is still quite bad.

If you want a AmEx Membership Rewards card, go for the cheap card with Membership Rewards as an optional fee (I think they have one at a $59 fee + $59 for Membership Rewards). If it offers nothing but points as a benefit and a low rate (12.9%), then it might be worth it.

Me? They have had the third strike in as many years and they are out of my wallet here......unless I move to another country.

Last edited by AKLDUBFlyer; Mar 16, 2015 at 5:03 am
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AKLDUBFlyer
I have lived in various countries (US, Ireland, UK and NZ) and have had a relationship with American Express since 1989.

Do not know about their charge card today, but I had one when I first moved here in 2006 and switched to the credit card in 2009 due to the poor value for money. I cut up my Platinum Rewards Credit card last week simply because it is now even worse value and not worth any annual fee IMHO. Lots of things from the NZ customer service team led me to this point, but the final straw was the poor quality travel insurance. You will likely need another policy from elsewhere (and will need to pay for it), because there are now so many exclusions in the AmEx one. Lots of long stories about problems with AmEx NZ while I was VERY satisfied elsewhere.

As for the other travel benefits, NZ cards do not get SPG Gold, lounge access (anywhere), or even the same level of emergency assistance. It is my understanding that charge card customers these days get close to the same level of benefits as credit card customers, but more Reward Points and a few events / wine tastings. Basically, the benefits are worthless except for the Membership Rewards points. It is the best credit card loyalty program in NZ, bar none. However, it is a mere shadow of what is offered overseas on Rewards.

Here is the link for the partner transfer chart on Membership Rewards: http://www.americanexpress.com/newze...partners.shtml

They used to have IHG (Priority Club) as a partner, but they are gone now. SPG is the only halfway decent transfer partner and the rate is still quite bad.

If you want a AmEx Membership Rewards card, go for the cheap card with Membership Rewards as an optional fee (I think they have one at a $59 fee + $59 for Membership Rewards). If it offers nothing but points as a benefit and a low rate (12.9%), then it might be worth it.

Me? They have had the third strike in as many years and they are out of my wallet here......unless I move to another country.
Out of interest, as someone who may be moving to NZ shortly, what is American Express acceptance like in NZ? Do most places take it or is it like some European countries like Spain, where you can use it for petrol and thats about it?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA-1MM
Many places do not take it. Outside of AKL, HLZ, WLG, CHC, DUD, ZQN you will be hard pressed to find many takers except for supermarket chains and the large petrol chains. Larger hotel operators accept it as do rental car companies. Most of the mom-and-pop hotels/motels throughout the country do not take it, which is the majority of accommodation. Many restaurants outside of the cities listed above do not take it. Other retailers who accept it are fairly rare except for higher end operators. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Many places do not take it. Outside of AKL, HLZ, WLG, CHC, DUD, ZQN you will be hard pressed to find many takers except for supermarket chains and the large petrol chains. Larger hotel operators accept it as do rental car companies. Most of the mom-and-pop hotels/motels throughout the country do not take it, which is the majority of accommodation. Many restaurants outside of the cities listed above do not take it. Other retailers who accept it are fairly rare except for higher end operators. Hope this helps.
Thanks. It seems like it hasn't reached the level of acceptance like in the UK or Australia then.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
SPG is the only halfway decent transfer partner and the rate is still quite bad.
What is the problem with transferring to the airline partners?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I've been looking into these cards as I thought the 1,250 was good for 80,000 points but because I couldn't see the benefits - in particular the platinum privilege stuff I wasn't going to go through with it. Also looked the rental vehicle excess cover but it looks like that operates the same as others ie you need to buy the rental car insurance first (stupid).

Just called the contact number for AMEX and ended up talking to someone in the US (Syd overflow) and they're going to send out a brochure. I'm interested in the airline stuff (esp if companion tickets are involved - then I'd have to compare what's better value, points or companion tickets), but also accommodation and car hire benefits. The website does say 38% off airline tickets regardless of class, presumably that's companion tickets mentioned above and presumably with the same airline transfer reward partners. I'd like to know the restrictions on this.

(Edit: Actually I think the accommodation is just what they list - accor plus (from memory I think they were offering platinum earlier in the year), which gets you silver and I think access to red hot room deals which look to be 40-50% off, which are great IF you're going to that destination and IF it's during selected dates ie a bit hit and miss. Great for the leisure traveller though if you can make your dates work around the accommodation. But I don't think it's anything more than this. Accor plus gives you 15% off europcar, and I think you can get 1000pts for going through accor. And you get a free nights accommodation? This is worth 294NZD if you buy it straight. I think I got that $ figure off another FT thread)

I've noticed Air NZ now offers rental cover for $15 a day for NZ and Oz and I tried this for the first time maybe last week. Easy to sign up on the spot (I'd forgotten to do it prior to trip - but obviously was asked at the avis counter and declined but went straight to the car and signed up online to include that day and the duration). Received 1APD (somethings better than nothing!) But it was soooooo much cheaper than what I had paid previously with a car for a week from BNE. The insurance cost the same as the damn car for a week when I got it from Avis last time!!! So I'm going with Air NZ policy from now on. It's just so easy to sign up and cheaper. And if you put your FF # in you'll get 2.5APD back so... takes it down to $12.50/day.

I'm also curious if the Airpoints platinum card for $395 has access to the platinum privileges or not. I think we would use the return domestic flights for AKL-ZQN every yr. I'm sure I saw a post somewhere regarding how you go about booking these. I don't think it's as easy as calling up and booking on the spot.

(Edit: Has to be a grabaseat booking class ie good luck with that and I probably won't be getting AKL-ZQN. We can generally book ZQN far enough in advance where its $70-120 or so. It did say you could pay the fare difference though, but not with APD. Grabaseats occurring over weekends where you can get a good price BOTH directions just isn't going to happen and the prices seem to be higher on the return. I think I'd view that as being too much hassle.)

The 800APD is obviously good too. 800x$75 = $60,000 spend normally. Tempted to go for this one at the moment. Apparently they credit to your account 8-10 wks after you've met the spend requirement.

The Westpac Mastercard World card you can look up benefits for hotels easily. It looks like it gets you gold/plat type privileges for upmarket hotels mostly outside the main chains but some hotels included eg early/late checkout, breakfast for 2, upgraded rooms. Priority pass but not for 2 people I think it's only 1. SPG gold after you use the card for 1 night, receive gold 4-6wks afterwards.

If anyone else has dived into the AMEX cards this year for NZ then would appreciate your input/experiences to date.

I think the 800APD is worth the card fee $395. If we got to use the grabaseat then great and if not then... I'd lose the card just before the next annual fee.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Nov 14, 2015 at 7:45 pm Reason: more info
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:13 pm

Amex has upped the offer for NZ. Check out the benefits - it is very attractive however I would anticipate Accor to drop off as AU has removed this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.