Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Plainum vs. American Express Cathay Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Hi there,
I'm new to collecting miles. I will be living in Shanghai and probably traveling most extensively with Cathay. I was reading that with American Express, you can convert points to Avios or Asiamiles. If I was happy with an upgrade to business, from HKG to YYZ, Avios cost 70000 where was Asiamiles cost 85000.

However, the great thing is that the Cathay card earns 2 Asia Miles per 2 dollar overseas. As I will mostly be living in SH, this card maybe beneficial in this sense. I notice on the Platinum card, it mentions "Platinum 10 times Bonus Partners : Every HK$1 spent = 10 Membership Rewards points"

Can someone share their two cent which card they think would be best?

Thanks!

----------------------

Two cents on which is better? I will be working in Shanghai but fly annually once to Toronto.

I can convert the points from the Platinum to Avios and fly business from HKG to YYZ with 70000 but it would be 85000 points with Asiamiles. What I like about the Cathay card is that for every 8HKD spent overseas, I collect 2 asiamiles and earn 2 points for every 8HKD spent booking tickets via their website. for With the Platinum, it says 10 points for every 1HKD spent with Bonus Partners. Any ideas who they are?

Which card do you guys think would be best?

Last edited by mia; Jul 30, 2014 at 10:20 am Reason: Combine overlapping posts
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:01 am

Which Amex Cathay card are you talking about?

Besides flying PVG-YYZ once or twice a year, where else and how often will you be flying from Shanghai and the most likely airline to use?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
It sounds to me like you answered your own question. If you're looking for overall point value, it looks like Amex PLT is the way to go.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Which Amex Cathay card are you talking about?

Besides flying PVG-YYZ once or twice a year, where else and how often will you be flying from Shanghai and the most likely airline to use?
I usually take on average 3 trips internationally (Taiwan, and Thailand) and in that case, I fly Cathay consistently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.