Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HookemHorns
Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to airline and hotel accounts in the name of the primary cardholder -or- the name of a supplementary cardholder on any card account linked to the same Membership Rewards account. You only need to request a supplementary card. It need not ever be given to the cardholder, nor used for any purchases. American Express will not issue cards for children under age 13.

Bear in mind that American Express (USA) generally limits customers to four credit cards, plus an unspecified number of charge cards. Most of the cards which can be used to add free supplementary cardholders are credit cards, choose one that you actually want to use,

These products allow you to add free Supplementary cardholders:

PERSONAL CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Premier Rewards Gold charge card. $175 fee for primary card, up to five free supplementary cards.
  • Mercedes-Benz credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday Preferred credit card. $95 fee for primary card, free supplementary cards.
  • Everyday credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards.
  • Blue from American Express credit card. No fee for primary or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. Caution: Blue Cash, Blue Cash Everyday, Blue Cash Preferred, Blue Sky and Blue Sky Preferred do not participate in Membership Rewards, and supplementary cardholders are not eligible to receive transfers.

SMALL BUSINESS CARD ACCOUNTS
  • Business Gold Rewards charge card. $175 fee for the primary card, $50 for the first supplementary card, but additional supplementary cards are free.
  • Blue for Business credit card. No fee for primary card or supplementary cards, but this card participates in Membership Rewards Express. Express points are not eligible for transfer unless you also hold a card participating in the full Membership Rewards program. This is the best Membership Rewards card for general spending because it earns a 30% annual bonus on all spending.
Print Wikipost

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is this related to the Amex glitch that today keeps booting me out when trying to re-login after choosing to transfer MR points from Amex to my airline accounts?

For hours now, I can't transfer anything online. Now I'm going to have to use the phone, as much as I would rather have avoided that while out of the country.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
You can still easily transfer points to spouses, relatives and friends, people you know well enough to request a supplementary card on your American Express account. The people who are affected are those who transfer points to strangers' frequent flyer accounts as part of a trade. This will now be more difficult and there is an added element of risk.
But having to add someone as a card user to send them the 2000 miles they need for an award is a massive devaluation.
To me that was the best feature about AMEX.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kathysrewards
But having to add someone as a card user to send them the 2000 miles they need for an award is a massive devaluation.
To me that was the best feature about AMEX.
I can see that. Some people used this to top off the accounts of their young children well under even 12 years of age. Now the opportunity to do that is being somewhat frustrated by this change in practice.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is this related to the Amex glitch that today keeps booting me out when trying to re-login after choosing to transfer MR points from Amex to my airline accounts?
I don't know, but these are the steps I used to work around it:

1. Login to americanexpress.com
  2. Click: Statements & Activity
  3. Click: My Rewards > View Summary
  4. Click: Linked Travel Programs

From there you should be able to navigate to the transfer interface.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I don't know, but these are the steps I used to work around it:

1. Login to americanexpress.com
  2. Click: Statements & Activity
  3. Click: My Rewards > View Summary
  4. Click: Linked Travel Programs

From there you should be able to navigate to the transfer interface.
Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction. A slight variation of that got me there eventually and ended up working for me, facilitated in some small part since it was an already linked travel program. Very much appreciated, as I do lots of 12,500 to 25,000 transfers and don't like to get on the phone to do it.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Thanks a bunch Mia for the work around. The site is buggy like GUWonder said.

For those with AMEX Plat it isnt the end of the world:

Add Additional Cards to your account, and continue earning Membership Rewards® points on all Additional Cards
$175 for the first 3 Additional Platinum Cards, then $175 for each Additional Platinum Card(s)
$45 for the first 5 Additional Gold Cards, then $45 for each Additional Gold Card(s)

So for $45.00 total you can still add 5 additional authorized users that you trust and transfer into their accounts.

At least that's what I am interpreting this new rule as.

Last edited by mrkymark; Jun 21, 2014 at 1:22 pm
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson

I will say that even though the transfer seemed to have gone thru and it said a confirmation email would be sent I haven't gotten the confirmation email, my balance is still the same, and I cant pull up any activity on my account. It just says an error has occurred and to check back later.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
I wonder if Amex will make exceptions if you call in...

I remember them doing a transfer for me a few years ago over the phone... they explained that transfers were only supposed to be to my account or authorized users, but they would make an exception this one time.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Jun 21, 2014 at 6:35 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrkymark
So for $45.00 total you can still add 5 additional authorized users that you trust and transfer into their accounts.
Alternately, spend $0 by applying for an Everyday, Blue from American Express, or Blue for Business card account, linking it to the same Membership Rewards account, and requesting additional cards on that account. Note that you cannot use any version of Blue Cash or BlueSky, it must be a card which participates in Membership Rewards. Further note that you do not have to give the authorized users their physical cards. You can lock them is a safe or destroy them. Downside is that this will count against your four credit card limit.

If you have a Business Platinum card you may be able to order free Green cards.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I see that AmEx has updated its website so that now you can transfer MR points only to other programs if the name on the other program account matches your name or the name of a cardholder connected to your AmEx card.

So now I can't easily give a ticket to a relative if the relative's name doesn't match mine.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I see that AmEx has updated its website so that now you can transfer MR points only to other programs if the name on the other program account matches your name or the name of a cardholder connected to your AmEx card.

So now I can't easily give a ticket to a relative if the relative's name doesn't match mine.
That depends on the rules of the rewards program, not AMEX. Most but not all programs allow you to book a ticket for anyone using your miles.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
That depends on the rules of the rewards program, not AMEX. Most but not all programs allow you to book a ticket for anyone using your miles.
+1

Or if it's a relative you trust and you really want to give them the points (perhaps to combine with points they already have), you could always add them as an AU and then be able to add their FFP accounts, if your Amex allows free AUs.

You could even just have the AU card sent to yourself and never give it to them.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:09 am

Does anyone know if you add an additional card holder for a fee, if you cancel the additional card before the year is up, does Amex refund you a pro-rated amount (like they do with the normal annual fee)?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Does anyone know if you add an additional card holder for a fee, if you cancel the additional card before the year is up, does Amex refund you a pro-rated amount (like they do with the normal annual fee)?
Yes.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Sorry for the noob question, but can I transfer MR points to the MR account of an authorized user, or does it have to be to one of their airline or hotel accounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.