Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Please do not post referral offers in this thread.

Offers may be posted in the dedicated thread, but please read the rules first, and be sure to specify the Nationality of the card in your post because American Express issues SPG cards in three countries.

30K offer:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/starwood-preferred-guest/25330
Print Wikipost

Amex SPG 30K Signup Offer [Expired]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:02 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

My friends had nearly universal trouble signing up using the referral link. At least one of them signed up using an alternate link after many efforts and phone calls to use the link I provided. I'm very unhappy about this, needless to say! Should I call Amex or Starwood to try to sort it out?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:13 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to ask about this problem or not..

I have a personal and business Amex SPG and my wife has a personal. All three are linked to the same SPG number. We both got our cards in 2014 and received the 2/5 stay/night credits from all three cards for a total of 6/15 stays/nights. After the new year we only got 4/10 stays/nights. All three cards are still posting the Starpoints we earn each month to the SPG account so I can't figure out which card didn't give us the stay/nights credit. Don't even know which to call, Amex or Starwood, to try to figure out what's going on. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ILGfly
...All three are linked to the same SPG number.
This is the problem. Two people cannot link their credit cards to one SPG account. You and your wife should each have separate SPG accounts with your own credit card(s) linked to each. You can transfer Starpoints from one account to another, but you cannot pool your elite status nights or stays.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by mia
This is the problem. Two people cannot link their credit cards to one SPG account. You and your wife should each have separate SPG accounts with your own credit card(s) linked to each. You can transfer Starpoints from one account to another, but you cannot pool your elite status nights or stays.
I was wondering if that might be the case but if so, why are the Starpoints still all going to the same SPG number no problem?

Additionally, if a husband and wife can't share an SPG account how come for a few weeks after she got her personal card when logged in to the SPG account it said "Mr./Mrs. ILGfly" instead of just "John ILGfly"? After a few weeks it reverted back to just my name but they must have some sort of joint SPG account for it to display something like that. I can PM the screen shot of the Mr./Mrs. if wanted, don't want to post it publicly since it has my last name and it's not a common last name.
Old May 19, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA
It looks like Amex has modified the minimum spend bonus on the US card to one block of 25k points after $3k in spend, as opposed to the previously split bonus that ultimately required $5k of spend for the same number of points:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...eferred-guest/

Think there's any likelihood of a recent signup for this card getting the new offer matched by Amex? Is that kind of thing common at all?
Old May 20, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
It seems like the ability to refer a friend to this card is currently unavailable, anyone able to make it work?
Old May 20, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
It seems like the ability to refer a friend to this card is currently unavailable, anyone able to make it work?
I had this problem a few weeks ago with the promotional referral link. It just stopped working. But I was able to get to a working referral page by clicking the small "Refer a Friend" link in the lower right-hand corner of the page (with the copyright info and so on) when you're logged into your Amex account.

Last edited by chrisremo; May 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 1:58 pm

What does the referral link do for the person signing up for a new account, and the person who gave out their referral link?
Old May 20, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by mtrsprt56
What does the referral link do for the person signing up for a new account, and the person who gave out their referral link?
It doesn't do anything special for the person with the new account, but for the person who gave out the link, you get a point bonus according to whatever the terms of the referral are.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by mia
I have an SPG amex card and SPG account. My 21 y/o old son is staying at a Sheraton for 4 nights and doesn't have either. Should I ask him to create an SPG account and let him pay with his Chase ink (only card he has) or can I call the hotel and pay with my SPG amex? He has just commenced his stay and so I don't have time to send him the referral etc. and see if he is approved for an Amex card.

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by pthom
I have an SPG amex card and SPG account. My 21 y/o old son is staying at a Sheraton for 4 nights and doesn't have either. Should I ask him to create an SPG account and let him pay with his Chase ink (only card he has) or can I call the hotel and pay with my SPG amex? He has just commenced his stay and so I don't have time to send him the referral etc. and see if he is approved for an Amex card.

Thanks.
you should be able to contact the hotel and have you sign the CC authorization for so you pay for it using your SPG card. Your son should make an account ASAP and at the end ask someone in at the lobby to include his account number on the reservation
Old May 21, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA
Done. Thank you
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:02 pm

Looks like the card is getting a refreshed design. Saw this on my personal and business cards today. Strangely, the new design didn't show up when I clicked on each of the cards. It only showed up when I clicked on each card and then hit F5 to refresh the page.

Mods, feel free to move this if this belongs somewhere else.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by ILGfly
Looks like the card is getting a refreshed design.
It was posted on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/SPG

Last edited by mia; Aug 5, 2015 at 6:05 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
30k bonus

I am looking at the ad and it said:
Limit Time Offer - Expire 9/14/2015.
Earn 30k bonus Starpoints

BUT every time I clicked on the offer, I only saw 25k offer.
Anyone else has this problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.