Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report USA personal application bonus results here, beginning 5.1.2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Please report the results of USA-issued personal card applications submitted on, or after, May 1, 2014.

Please include:
  1. If and when you previously held the same card,
  2. If your application was automatically approved,
  3. If the approval notice confirmed the bonus,
  4. When the bonus posted,
  5. Any discussion with American Express required to obtain the bonus or denial.

Background:

American Express now includes this language in USA issued personal card applications:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product
The first sentence was introduced in 2013, but the have had language in the second sentence is new in April 2014. A literal reading is that an individual may earn only one new account bonus per card product in a lifetime, but American Express practice frequently deviates from published policy. See this thread for discussion:

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Considerations:

• These terms appear only in personal card applications. No need to report Business or Corporate card application results.
  • Holding a supplementary card (Authorized User) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a bonus if applying for the same card in your own name.
  • When the features of a card change American Express may consider it to be a new product, and you may be eligible for a bonus even if you held the previous version. Sometimes the refreshed card is given a new name, but not always.
  • Holding any version of the personal Platinum charge card which participates in Membership Rewards may disqualify you from earning a bonus for opening any other personal Platinum charge card. Includes co-branded versions offered with: Ameriprise, Fidelity, Goldman Sachs, Mercedes, or Morgan Stanley.
Print Wikipost

Report USA personal application bonus results here, beginning 5.1.2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
My first purchase, 5/5, 10k, 5/12. Closing date, 5/30.

I think another point to take away from this is possibly that a product conversion may cause them to not see that I had this product within 12 months. Though I am not sure if it'll be the same for lifetime limit as they may be able to see more in that case.

Last edited by mia; Jun 15, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
5.01.2014 Applied. Instant approval
5.06.2014 Card received. Activated. $1,000 spent.
5.11.2014 10,000 bonus points posted: AmexEveryDay $1K/10K MR

At time of application I had four open USA-issued American Express cards. American Express did "identify" me as an existing cardholder, my Member Since date is the same as on my other cards.

The bonus points never appeared in the Pending category.
Lucky you.

Applied 4/7 with incognito. instant approval. at registration AMEX immediately recognized me and auto-linked the card to the membership reward account where the other card was brg.
Met spend 4/14.
No sight of the 10K bonus as of today - 2nd statement closed on 6.15. Only the earned and 20% bonus posted.

Every chat and phone rep insisted it would eventually automatically posted after 6 to 8 weeks time frame, albeit everyone told me the account was attached to the offer and I did meet the spend to earn it. I do not look forward to chasing this - all they would do is to open an investigation then come back to tell me not eligible.

UPDATE

At 10 weeks mark after failure with a phone rep who lied about opening an investigation but failed to give me a reference number, I turned to Chat and got a competent chat rep who was willing to help. After conferred with his supervisor a few times upon my insistence to get the bonus into Pending stage, his supervisor finally agreed and the bonus was issued as available.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 26, 2014 at 1:20 pm
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:48 pm

Wink AMEX SPG

Originally Posted by mia
American Express seems to award bonuses through some type of batch process, but I cannot guess what causes some accounts to be picked up immediately after the spending target is achieved, while others are picked up weeks later.
I agree with Mia here ...I received the initial 10,000 sign up bonus pts from my 2nd SPG card ( applied & approved instantly 13 months after canceling last one) within the week of my 1st spend & before a statement was even generated .
I do not expect the same to be true for the remaining 15,000 pts but I will not call & harass AMEX for taking more time posting them if that happens to be the case ... rather I am just grateful I was approved a 2nd time round & have so far received the 10,000 .

Last edited by mia; Jun 29, 2014 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I received an email offer for PRG 25K for 2K spend, but I already hold the Plat Card. Email has the "may not receive" language in T&C. Should I apply or wait for a targeted offer? When I get a targeted offer, the "may not receive language" is not in it. I also get a snail mail copy of the offer with an RSVP code.

Last edited by eajusa; Jun 29, 2014 at 1:37 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Applied for a second SPG card after 2 years of not having the card on 6/24. Statement closed on 7/8. No signup bonus. Chatted with a rep both on the phone and on chat who both confirmed that since it was my 2nd card in my lifetime that I would not get the bonus. No huge deal for me but sort of a bummer. So I guess the once in a lifetime is true.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:50 am

Yes: the policy is real, and it's unspectacular.

DW previously held SPG personal Amex (2/2012 to 3/2013). Applied in June 2014 with same-day (not instant) approval; approval notice conspicuously omitted any reference to bonus.

Made test purchase upon receipt of card. First billing period has now closed & only points for spend have posted, with no bonus.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: HHonors, SPG, ClubCarlson, AAdvantage, BA Avios, US Dividend Miles, UA MileagePlus, Delta SkyPesos
Originally Posted by beltway
Yes: the policy is real, and it's unspectacular.

DW previously held SPG personal Amex (2/2012 to 3/2013). Applied in June 2014 with same-day (not instant) approval; approval notice conspicuously omitted any reference to bonus.

Made test purchase upon receipt of card. First billing period has now closed & only points for spend have posted, with no bonus.
Same experience here, similar timeline. However, I went ahead and racked up $5k spend just to test. Remember the days of no first purchase bonus, but spend bonus was awarded if you reached $5k? Got shutout there, too. Only the 5,000+ points have ever posted.

That said, I discussed in the Citi HHonors (no fee) thread that I was able to get another bonus on no fee HHonors Amex. As I said in the Citi thread on 8/25, "For the details, I opened my original HHonors Amex in early 2011, upgraded to Surpass in Spring 2013, and cancelled in January 2014. Now, as far as the new Amex, I opened it on 8/13, Amex rush delivered it to me by 8/15, and I met the spend on 8/16. Bonus points were posted to my account on 8/22." http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...l#post23418648

Seems like the new Amex policy is hit or miss. Perhaps, due to the Surpass conversion, they read my former account as a Surpass and ignore original no fee card account. Or, like Citi, they don't give a rats about dolling out HHonors points, due to how cheaply they can be acquired.

Last edited by LowFlyOver; Nov 2, 2014 at 11:52 pm
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LowFlyOver
... Or, like Citi, they don't give a rats about dolling out HHonors points, due to how cheaply they can be acquired.
Or, because they compete directly against Citi, both issuing HHonors co-branded cards in the USA, American Express has an unpublished exception to their policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.