Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge MIA [Opened 4 June 2015, enlarged January 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge MIA [Opened 4 June 2015, enlarged January 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Wow is there no easy stair access?

When I was there last month and earlier this month, both elevators seemed to be working.
No stair access. Emergency exits seem to lead outside, not back to the terminal.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:48 pm
Suspended

No stairs? That sounds crazy. What happens if the elevator goes down while the lounge is full of people with flights to catch? As it is, it looks like the lounge has been operating with only one of two elevators working.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsk1973
No stairs? That sounds crazy. What happens if the elevator goes down while the lounge is full of people with flights to catch? As it is, it looks like the lounge has been operating with only one of two elevators working.
Kind of agree with you. I find this quite surprising, particularly in an emergency situation (e.g. fire, etc.). I really can't think of many things like this, in public spaces, that are exclusively accessible via elevators.

Weird... (and maybe a little dangerous)

Regards
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Kind of agree with you. I find this quite surprising, particularly in an emergency situation (e.g. fire, etc.). I really can't think of many things like this, in public spaces, that are exclusively accessible via elevators.

Weird... (and maybe a little dangerous)

Regards
To be clear, there are emergency exit stairs to the outside I believe, just not functional indoor ones for everyday use.

They definitely should construct some stairs or escalators to this lounge at some point though. Even when the elevator(s) is/are working, they're very slow and usually packed.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
To be clear, there are emergency exit stairs to the outside I believe, just not functional indoor ones for everyday use.
Yes, I understood that from a previous post and probably didn't articulate my thought very well, but it seems "in terminal" stairs would be valuable. If something simpler, such as the elevator breaking down while folks are in the club and during operating hours, it seems crazy to have to force them outside, onto the tarmac or what have you. Seems like that creates all sorts of unnecessary chaos and complexity re:TSA/Security, reentry, etc.

But your point is well taken that there is emergency exit stair access available.

Regards
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Agree with others this is a bit of a mess. At least give us a fire escape pole to slide down... and a baggage chute for carryons.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Just got to this one for the first time last weekend, and love the view!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:03 pm
Suspended

For the veterans, does anyone recall what was in the Centurion space before it was a BA lounge? In the early 1990s, MIA had a Burger King with a large seating area that overlooked the tarmac. Anyone know if this is the same space? Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:07 pm
Original Member

Monday last we had a three-hour layover in MIA and anticipated refuge in the Centurion lounge. However, there was no room in the inn. They put our names on a wait list and said we "might" clear in 30 minutes. Um. Hm. I think AmEx badly underestimated usage, poor planning. They get another chance next month when our layover is SIX hours so all digits crossed for access luck.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW
Monday last we had a three-hour layover in MIA and anticipated refuge in the Centurion lounge. However, there was no room in the inn. They put our names on a wait list and said we "might" clear in 30 minutes. Um. Hm. I think AmEx badly underestimated usage, poor planning. They get another chance next month when our layover is SIX hours so all digits crossed for access luck.
This is ridiculous. What time were you there? There should never be a point where wait lists are activated. Amex may need to trim access for families and guests. I personally think it's ridiculous that a family of 4 can access the lounge on one card. I'm sure others will disagree, but that is my personal opinion. If I'm limited to two guests, everyone should be. Just because you decide to have four children, they shouldn't all be granted access to the lounge.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:16 pm
Suspended

I personally think it's ridiculous that a family of 4 can access the lounge on one card. I'm sure others will disagree, but that is my personal opinion. If I'm limited to two guests, everyone should be. Just because you decide to have four children, they shouldn't all be granted access to the lounge.
It is kind of bizarre. Lounge access has always been mostly a concern of business travelers rather than family vacationers, and some of these Centurion lounges are on the small side to begin with, at least from what I've read.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:54 am

We were there after a red-eye flight on Saturday Nov 7th and it was packed. There were very few seats left and a lot of families in there with children running around. I really didn't care for the breakfast. The pancakes they offered I think had some kind of overwhelming orange flavor and made them bitter. We didn't really enjoy our experience.

We flew back through MIA on November 14th and go to the lounge in the late morning. It was a completely different experience. There were places to sit, the food was good, both breakfast and lunch, and it was much quieter and overall just a better experience. I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperDudley
We were there after a red-eye flight on Saturday Nov 7th and it was packed. There were very few seats left and a lot of families in there with children running around. I really didn't care for the breakfast. The pancakes they offered I think had some kind of overwhelming orange flavor and made them bitter. We didn't really enjoy our experience.

We flew back through MIA on November 14th and go to the lounge in the late morning. It was a completely different experience. There were places to sit, the food was good, both breakfast and lunch, and it was much quieter and overall just a better experience. I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Early mornings and late evenings can get very busy due to the amount of South America flights arriving/departing at those times. During the day, it's more domestic and no as many people have a lot of time to spend in the CL. At least, that has been my experience.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
I was hoping to visit the Lounge in a couple weeks, but I will be flying Air Canada out of Terminal J...

How long of a walk would it be from J to get there? My flight is at 1pm on a Thursday, and I should have TSA pre-check security clearance.

Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Member

This is ridiculous. What time were you there? There should never be a point where wait lists are activated. Amex may need to trim access for families and guests. I personally think it's ridiculous that a family of 4 can access the lounge on one card. I'm sure others will disagree, but that is my personal opinion. If I'm limited to two guests, everyone should be. Just because you decide to have four children, they shouldn't all be granted access to the lounge.
Our names were added to the wait list on Monday, Nov. 16 at 3pm. We returned at 3:30 but we still had not cleared so gave up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.