Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Fine. If hard pulls mean nothing to you, then cancel and apply as much and as soon as you want. Me, I'm with JJonahJ. Why? Because of our family's experience. My wife and I both kept our cards for 6 months. She tried applying after 3 months, denied. Applied again after 6, got it. I simply waited for 6, got it.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
Fine. If hard pulls mean nothing to you, then cancel and apply as much and as soon as you want. Me, I'm with JJonahJ. Why? Because of our family's experience. My wife and I both kept our cards for 6 months. She tried applying after 3 months, denied. Applied again after 6, got it. I simply waited for 6, got it.
I am all for personal experience and act on it, its prudent.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I have no plans to *apply* before 6 months. But I will likely *cancel* before 6 months.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: *void
Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

In the past couple of years I've never ever had a problem with getting the Membership Rewards welcome points posting almost immediately after surpassing a spending threshold, as in my experience (8 MR cards) I've seen the points appearing into my MR account within the same day that my minimum spending txns have posted.

That is, until this past Sept when my latest Gold Rewards card 'faltered'. Did not see ANY points, not even some partial 10K or 15K that others have reported. I Secured-Messaged Amex and the points appeared within a day or 2 (I was NOT given the canned 8 to 10 weeks response) - BEAUTIFUL!

Fast forward to today...now, my current churn is for the Biz Gold Rewards, and I finally got the $5K spend completed and saw the threshold txn posted on Dec 13th, Saturday. I patiently waited at least one business day, till Monday, Dec 15th, to see if the points would show up. Nada. So, I fired off a Secured-Message, and then the next day (yesterday) I got a response from 1 of the 2 reps who have been dialoging with me for the past year. This time I was given the canned 8 to 10 weeks response. So I quickly fired back another S-M and politely asked if the issue could be expedited. The rep responded 12 hours later, very early this morning, and said "OK", and a response would be received within 3 to 5 days. I checked my account 3 hours later, and the 40K were already appearing online! - BEE-YOOO-TEEE-FULLL!!

Thank you Amex
Old Dec 20, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
After 4 phone calls and waiting 8 weeks I finally received my 15,000 referral. They must save millions of points by making it difficult for people to get their referral and welcome points.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:53 am

Seems very hit or miss:

Received 30,000 points for biz gold rather than 40,000 as advertised. Called service centre and was told that even though I was referred the threshold for the 40,000 was a $10,000 spend and not $5,000.
Sent message through secure messaging few days ago and response within 24 hours - 10,000 points posted with no fuss.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 12:51 pm

I self referred to the Biz Gold card from my Gold Rewards card, the referral points posted with no delay. I hit my 5k spend on the 15th and haven't seen the 40k posted yet.
Who has a cut and paste message I can send them lol
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Here's my approach:

"Hi there,
I just wanted to follow up on the sign-up bonus points on this card. I have received 30,000, but as I had a referral link the promotion indicated I would receive 40,000 after meeting the minimum $5000 spend which I did a few weeks ago. Thank you!"

Got me next day resolution, good luck!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:38 pm

I received a message back saying it will take 8-10 weeks and should wait.

meh
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:36 pm

That is what they said to me....2 days later got the points
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by MilesMakeMeSmile
I received a message back saying it will take 8-10 weeks and should wait.

meh
Reply back demanding points to be posted ASAP.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
so, after her 2nd request, my fiancee got her 50K adjustment, then 2 weeks later, the actual 50K came thru too....
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:00 pm

Sorry if that has already been mentioned previously, but I discovered that if you apply for different AMEX card products within 3 months of each other (regardless of your credit rating) you will be conditionally approved on the online application and you will need to call in to have it fully approved. The phone agent mentioned that this is because they may suspect it could be someone else trying to apply for multiple cards using your information.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by bjywong
Sorry if that has already been mentioned previously, but I discovered that if you apply for different AMEX card products within 3 months of each other (regardless of your credit rating) you will be conditionally approved on the online application and you will need to call in to have it fully approved. The phone agent mentioned that this is because they may suspect it could be someone else trying to apply for multiple cards using your information.
it might be correct, sometimes I need to talk to them as well.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:30 pm

Question on missing referral bonuses - When sending an email to AMEX, does the person that provided the referral just reference the name of the individual that was recently approved? Or do you need to provide any other details such as the application ref number ??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.