Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
He's referring to if Lowe's sells gift cards for other companies (like how you can get Home Depot GCs at grocery stores)
Home depot sells the same stuff as Lowe's, and I know I can buy GC at grocery stores for itself or other stores. It still $5000 worth.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: BA,Aeroplan,Delta, SPG, Marriot, IHG
airmiles platinum card

When do they post bonus 1500 airmiles? I had my $500.00 speand completed early oct and Oct 20th statement does not show 1500 bonus miles. CS told me that I only get when I pay Oct statement ? Is is correct?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by peacestar
When do they post bonus 1500 airmiles? I had my $500.00 speand completed early oct and Oct 20th statement does not show 1500 bonus miles. CS told me that I only get when I pay Oct statement ? Is is correct?
I think Air Miles, just like Aeroplan (and SPG?), do most on monthly statements only

Only AMEX MR are posted fast (like next day)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I think Air Miles, just like Aeroplan (and SPG?), do most on monthly statements only

Only AMEX MR are posted fast (like next day)
I know it is the monthly statement. But she was claiming that I will only receive the miles after I paid the credit card ( i.e after I paid the $500.00 to amex ) . I spoke to a second rep and he said it will be only posted after 3 months. I am confused
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
I know it is the monthly statement. But she was claiming that I will only receive the miles after I paid the credit card ( i.e after I paid the $500.00 to amex )
No thats not right. You'll get it after the statement generation date. sometimes takes a couple days to reflect in air miles account. It most definitely does NOT depend on you paying the bill initially, although i dont know whether they would claw it back if you leave the bill permanently unpaid... no experience with that sorry!

Yes, can confirm Air Miles, Aeroplan, and SPG (and also C1 IHG, Chase Marriott Rewards) all do the once per month after statement generation posting of points to the respective programs. They are all external rewards programs after all, and i think most if not all external rewards programs operate like that

I find only internal programs have on the fly updates for points rewards, like AMEX MR, or C1 Travel Aspire points.

Although some internal programs also do monthly points deposits, like BMO Rewards
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
No thats not right. You'll get it after the statement generation date. sometimes takes a couple days to reflect in air miles account. It most definitely does NOT depend on you paying the bill initially, although i dont know whether they would claw it back if you leave the bill permanently unpaid... no experience with that sorry!

Yes, can confirm Air Miles, Aeroplan, and SPG (and also C1 IHG, Chase Marriott Rewards) all do the once per month after statement generation posting of points to the respective programs. They are all external rewards programs after all, and i think most if not all external rewards programs operate like that

I find only internal programs have on the fly updates for points rewards, like AMEX MR, or C1 Travel Aspire points.

Although some internal programs also do monthly points deposits, like BMO Rewards
thank you Cerenity and Jerry
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: *void
I know it is the monthly statement. But she was claiming that I will only receive the miles after I paid the credit card ( i.e after I paid the $500.00 to amex ) . I spoke to a second rep and he said it will be only posted after 3 months. I am confused
Horse Poop!

Our experience: spent the $500 within a week. Welcome points posted on the NEXT (in this case, FIRST) statement. Does NOT require you to pay the balance to see the points. If you don't see the welcome points on page 4 or 5 of your Amex Airmiles Plat (or AeroPlus or SPG) statement, then you'll never see the points in the days to follow in your Airmiles account.

Secure-message or call Amex to complain that you've met the threshold spending, and they $500-th txn is already showing on your statement, and that your points are missing. You'll get a canned response, saying it could take 8-10 weeks. However, in recent weeks I've been SM'ing Amex about missing welcome points, referral points and spending points...they've been exceptionally responsive as of late, compared to say a year ago...recent points have posted within 2-4 days.

Good luck.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Horse Poop!

Our experience: spent the $500 within a week. Welcome points posted on the NEXT (in this case, FIRST) statement. Does NOT require you to pay the balance to see the points. If you don't see the welcome points on page 4 or 5 of your Amex Airmiles Plat (or AeroPlus or SPG) statement, then you'll never see the points in the days to follow in your Airmiles account.

Secure-message or call Amex to complain that you've met the threshold spending, and they $500-th txn is already showing on your statement, and that your points are missing. You'll get a canned response, saying it could take 8-10 weeks. However, in recent weeks I've been SM'ing Amex about missing welcome points, referral points and spending points...they've been exceptionally responsive as of late, compared to say a year ago...recent points have posted within 2-4 days.

Good luck.
I had received 10K points out of the 25k welcome points. And they sent me a canned message of 8-10 weeks for the remaining 15k points over secure-messaging. I take it just keep sending them messages until you get the right response?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
I know this is off topic but when does the Aeroplan Platinum flight pass show up on my Air Canada.com account?
I am curious to know if it's different than the Corporate and regular flightpass options?
Can you please PM me with details?
Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Horse Poop!

Good luck.
Horse Poop?

I didn't get my Amex Aeroplat points posted on my first statement, even though I'd spent well over the required 1k and paid off my card in full before the due date.
As Jjonah suggested, I messaged Amex and received a response saying that yes, I had fulfilled the terms of getting the points but it can take 8 weeks to post. I got the points a week later. Amex had transferred the points and I got a message telling me how many points and when they'd been released to Aeroplan but they didn't show up in my Aeroplan account for another few days.

I got them before the second statement and it didn't take 8-10 weeks but my experience was that it took longer than for some others. The message center at Amex does get the ball rolling and I find they always respond in a timely manner and are quite helpful.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:13 am

There's an offer for the Aeroplan Platinum Card and Aeroplan Gold Amex on Air Canada.com which gives a $200 AC flight credit for flights booked on the Aeroplat and $100 AC flight credit for flights booked on the Aerogold.

I assume that those of us who already have either one of these cards don't qualify for these promos.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by westcoastgal
Horse Poop?

I didn't get my Amex Aeroplat points posted on my first statement, even though I'd spent well over the required 1k and paid off my card in full before the due date.
As Jjonah suggested, I messaged Amex and received a response saying that yes, I had fulfilled the terms of getting the points but it can take 8 weeks to post. I got the points a week later. Amex had transferred the points and I got a message telling me how many points and when they'd been released to Aeroplan but they didn't show up in my Aeroplan account for another few days.

I got them before the second statement and it didn't take 8-10 weeks but my experience was that it took longer than for some others. The message center at Amex does get the ball rolling and I find they always respond in a timely manner and are quite helpful.
Sent a message to Amex and received standard response that it will take 8-12 weeks and contact after that. Let me see what happens after that period.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
There's an offer for the Aeroplan Platinum Card and Aeroplan Gold Amex on Air Canada.com which gives a $200 AC flight credit for flights booked on the Aeroplat and $100 AC flight credit for flights booked on the Aerogold.

I assume that those of us who already have either one of these cards don't qualify for these promos.
If it is the same promo I have seen running then it comes with snipped sign up bonuses and certainly to new cardholders signing up with those T&Cs.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:48 pm

Where?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Where?
Under special offers.

https://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/index.html#YQB-CA3

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.