Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by habshabs444
she indicated that they were waiting to confirm my ID with my bank and were going to email me a form confirming my banking information which I could then PDF back to Amex and they would send it to the bank. I thought this was rather odd as I already have an Amex Plat, Aeroplan Gold, and SPG Amex (recently cancelled).
Interesting...so, that means during the credit enquiry they have a procedure/process to verify banking info...did you apply for any other new cards recently, other than Amex? If so, maybe it was not setup correctly within your credit portfolio at Transunion? Admittedly, I'm reaching here, but the inner-inquisitive-me is begging to ask.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by habshabs444
I applied for the Amex Gold this past Friday and received the non-instant approval message, so after reading this thread I called Amex today to enquire as to what the status was and she indicated that they were waiting to confirm my ID with my bank and were going to email me a form confirming my banking information which I could then PDF back to Amex and they would send it to the bank. I thought this was rather odd as I already have an Amex Plat, Aeroplan Gold, and SPG Amex (recently cancelled). Needless to say she said she still had to go through the process. Five minutes after getting of the phone, she called me back to say that she didn't have to go through this process after all and my card would be shipped out to me today!
"Confirm my ID with the bank" and "confirming my banking information to PDF to Amex".

Both of these statements are confusing and distressing.

First of all, what sort of banking ID is there to confirm? They don't ask for banking info in the apps. Your credit report should have all the info they need to enquire about money owed. If they needed to verify income, they usually ask for pay stubs.

Secondly, you cannot email banking information (I assume that's how you'd 'PDF' your banking info to them). It's private information - unless you'd do it securely from your existing Amex account? I am not even sure that's possible.

That whole conversation seems waaaay off...and then them just approving you. I think someone messed something up with your app, and then they covered their butts and went whoops! Sorry - here's your approval!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by pokee
"Confirm my ID with the bank" and "confirming my banking information to PDF to Amex".

Both of these statements are confusing and distressing.

First of all, what sort of banking ID is there to confirm? They don't ask for banking info in the apps. Your credit report should have all the info they need to enquire about money owed. If they needed to verify income, they usually ask for pay stubs.

Secondly, you cannot email banking information (I assume that's how you'd 'PDF' your banking info to them). It's private information - unless you'd do it securely from your existing Amex account? I am not even sure that's possible.

That whole conversation seems waaaay off...and then them just approving you. I think someone messed something up with your app, and then they covered their butts and went whoops! Sorry - here's your approval!
The banking information means: at which bank you have accounts, any mortgages, what other credit cards you have, etc. When I applied for the TD aeroplan card at the branch, the rep asked me about this kind of information.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
The banking information means: at which bank you have accounts, any mortgages, what other credit cards you have, etc. When I applied for the TD aeroplan card at the branch, the rep asked me about this kind of information.
Again: all on your credit report. Why do they need to you repeat that info?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
Completely wrong.

The form is merely to state your account numbers and authorizes Amex to contact your bank to verify your identity.

This is an identity driven process not a credit worthiness step. A friend of mine was advised that he was required to take this step because his credit report was slim which prompted extra diligence.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Again: all on your credit report. Why do they need to you repeat that info?
I figured TD might try to avoid pulling a credit report, which is a good thing.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:04 pm

I recently went through something similar (no instant approval) - but they basically gave me the multiple choice quiz for ID verification that you get when getting your credit report from TU over the automated phone line. Should be receiving my card soon
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:07 pm

Just a quick question please... unrelated to current topic being discussed:

Can someone please pm me the procedure on how one gets and sets up a referral link as part of one's Flyertalk signature?

Thanks.

Continuing with (one) of the current threads:
I was anticipating some lucrative offers with the transition to the new Aeroplan TD cards. Hopefully Amex decides to thrown in a competitive offer in the near future, considering the downgrade in the Plat benefits.

Last edited by znke252; Jan 29, 2014 at 9:16 pm Reason: Added Info
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I never got instant approval, but I was never denied, and never received any requests for additional information for the ultimate approvals.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beep88
I never got instant approval, but I was never denied, and never received any requests for additional information for the ultimate approvals.
My first 3 Amex cards IIRC was not instant approval at all. I remember a couple of Amex cards, one mine and one my wifes', where Amex asked us for proof of income. I sent it in and no problem.

But since the humble beginnings, Amex has approved me instantly each and every time. Amex is by far the best credit card programs in Canada. Amex has earned my business, and I try and use Amex for each and every transaction, although I know its not possible.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
My first 3 Amex cards IIRC was not instant approval at all. I remember a couple of Amex cards, one mine and one my wifes', where Amex asked us for proof of income. I sent it in and no problem.

But since the humble beginnings, Amex has approved me instantly each and every time. Amex is by far the best credit card programs in Canada. Amex has earned my business, and I try and use Amex for each and every transaction, although I know its not possible.
for most of my parents churns it's alwys been instant online approval pending confirmation of info. so i really do like amex as well. definitely best issuer in canada. period.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro

In my experience, if the application is less than 3 months from last application, the approval is not instant.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yerffej201
for most of my parents churns it's alwys been instant online approval pending confirmation of info. so i really do like amex as well. definitely best issuer in canada. period.
I've had this occur a number of times where I was 'instantly approved' pending confirmation of info. To me, this isn't instant online approval. As such, I considered this a 'subject to' situation where approval could be denied.

My recent applications have been instantly approved and the card sent out.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
Hi all, I am considering switch back to the personal gold from business gold. However, I have quite a bit of MR points earned with the business gold. I wish to keep the MR points after cancelling the business gold. Is it possible to keep the existing MR point with the new personal gold? (Has anyone done this successfully?) Thank in advance for any info!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
Hi all, I am considering switch back to the personal gold from business gold. However, I have quite a bit of MR points earned with the business gold. I wish to keep the MR points after cancelling the business gold. Is it possible to keep the existing MR point with the new personal gold? (Has anyone done this successfully?) Thank in advance for any info!
You need to apply for the Personal gold card first, after you activate the new card, you can see if the two MR accounts combined to one. If so, you are good to cancel the old one; If not, you need to phone Amex to get the two MR accounts combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.