Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Hyacinthe
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by crimsona
The bonus transfers from amex to Aeroplan undermined the validity of the Aeroplan amex cards. I doubt there's any reason for those to come back
And what used to be Maple Leaf Lounge access on the Amex Platinum cards. I thought the AE cards and the Amex Plat cards were equal as the number of points earned through point transfer bonuses were about 1.5 points per dollar spent, just as the Aeroplat card providing the 1.5 points after 25K spend.

Definitely some differentiation between the cards now.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: NWA, AC., SWA, AA.,UA, HH
I have been Amex Canada free for almost a year
time to decide what to do I see:
Aeroplan Gold @ 30K Aeroplan after $500, 1st Year Free / Air Miles Platinum @ 1250 AM after $500, FYF / Gold/Platinum @ 25K/60K MR after $500/$1000, FYF
posted
should i get one now? If so what do most of you recommend?
Any other ccs you recommend churning?
Thaks

Jigger
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jigger
Aeroplan Gold @ 30K Aeroplan after $500, 1st Year Free / Air Miles Platinum @ 1250 AM after $500, FYF / Gold/Platinum @ 25K/60K MR after $500/$1000, FYF
posted
Thaks

Jigger
Thanks for using my signature summary

I'd get them all, since they're first year free
But it's really up to your preferences, some cards are more for travel than others
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Churning Amex in Canada

I have recently applied for the Aeroplan Gold but didn't get the instant approval. The last time when I applied for an Amex and not got instant approval, they did call me soon afterwards to confirm something then approved my application right away. Do you think it's likely that my card application was rejected ?
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What would be the reasons you figure?

Its a world of difference shelling out $700 for an annual fee, as opposed to $500, as opposed to a couple hundred.

I'm hoping that Amex Plat can restore the AE bonus transfers that existed prior to MPC Gold introduced. I really miss that bonus transfer.
as in currently there are lots of amex cardholders happily paying 699 (well not happy, but they're paying). unless there's lots of cardholders clamouring for lower af, it's unlikely amex would just reduce annual fee and lose additional revenue.

posted
Thaks

Jigger
ap gold, since this is the highest bonus i've seen historically. if you want to apply for the25k amex gold, go through gcr (great canadian rebates )and you can get like tens of dollars as a rebate.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by choupeo
I have recently applied for the Aeroplan Gold but didn't get the instant approval. The last time when I applied for an Amex and not got instant approval, they did call me soon afterwards to confirm something then approved my application right away. Do you think it's likely that my card application was rejected ?
Cannot comment on if you were approved or rejected, not enough info.

But, an Amex rep once explained to me that their instant approval system is not 'strong' enough to handle many concurrent applications, so often it fails to give you an instant answer. So, not getting an approval right away does not necessarily reflect Amex's initial assessment of you. If you weren't instantly approved, call them and quote the reference number that you got at the end of your application process.

I'd suggest you call them either right away, or the next day, and get the application process moved along.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jan 26, 2014 at 2:53 pm Reason: Missing words added. Fingers slapped.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
posted
Thaks

Jigger
Amex deals are in a good place right now, hard to imagine them being reduced but you never know, a lot of high street banks (TD, BMO, CIBC at least) have excellent offers ending March 31st, how Amex will respond is to be determined. There is also the fact that Amex is developing a new AP produce - reportedly a credit card - an we do not know how that will slot in amongst the existing suite of products.

As a pure sign up and churn card, 30k AP is a great deal, and it also opens up referral opportunities if you know co-collectors since your buddies get more than the off the street deal, however for most people, certainly myself, over the course of a year, the regular Gold rewards with double points in gas-grocery-pharmacy-travel categories ends up accruing more over a year notwithstanding the sign up is 5k less. Gold Rewards also allows greater flexibility in redeeming.

A 2 minute call to the new accounts department (they should have given you a phone number and reference # when you applied) will resolve all; I had on on hold for some time because there was an odd piece of data on my TU history so I had answered one of the ID questions wrongly.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by JJonahJ

But, an Amex rep once explained to me that their instant approval system is not 'strong' enough to handle many concurrent applications, so often it fails to give you an instant answer. So, not getting an approval right away does not necessarily reflect Amex's initial assessment of you. If you weren't instantly approved, call them and quote the reference number that you get at of your application process.

I'd suggest you call them either right away, or the next day, and get the application process moved along.
Thanks. It's good to know the possible reason of not getting an instant answer. I guess next time I will submit my application at 2 am PT to increase my chance
Old Jan 26, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
You can call them to check the status. If you have the reference number, they can find your application easily, if you don't have it, they might be able to search by your phone number.

By calling them, you can actually negotiate with them even your application was rejected initially, and they can review your application again.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
What would be the reasons you figure? [... AMEX not reducing annual fee]
It's not the first time in AMEX Canada Platinum history to reduce significant airline benefits ("Canadian Plus Club" - Empress Lounge, AA, and lounges at overseas CP destinations), but kept the same annual fee, if not increased it. I told them in writing that it's a rip off (in a polite way). The president's assistant called and basically said take it or leave it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by beep88
I told them in writing that it's a rip off (in a polite way). The president's assistant called and basically said take it or leave it.
They didn't promise that they will add more benefites to the card?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: AP, A3 Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jerryhung
so I guess it's Earlier of (current expiry date, Nov 2014)

at original renewal rate, your MPC should've extended for ONE YEAR into June 2015, but I guess the max they give out is Nov 2014 now
Catching up on my reading in this thread. First time contribution. I applied for Cathay Pacific MPC (thru Amex Plat) in late Nov 2013 and received it early 2014. The membership card said valid thru Dec 2014.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by beep88
It's not the first time in AMEX Canada Platinum history to reduce significant airline benefits ("Canadian Plus Club" - Empress Lounge, AA, and lounges at overseas CP destinations), but kept the same annual fee, if not increased it. I told them in writing that it's a rip off (in a polite way). The president's assistant called and basically said take it or leave it.
Nice.. President's assistant. Basically telling you where to go, and how to get there. Thats' true customer service for you. Its a good thing, these types of incidences nowadays don't happen often.

Originally Posted by Bobbyj1048
Catching up on my reading in this thread. First time contribution. I applied for Cathay Pacific MPC (thru Amex Plat) in late Nov 2013 and received it early 2014. The membership card said valid thru Dec 2014.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Looks like the benefit is going south soon. Hopefully, fast track renewal for you is in the horizon.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
What the Plat statements read as saying is that enrollment to MPC will no longer be offered from March 31, 2014. I would understand this, combined with the fact that beep88 is enrolled until Dec. 2014, and the fact that this is how it works in the UK, to mean that although renewals are only running until 11/2014, new enrollments can get a free years until 3/2015. If this is correct, for anyone interested in CX, the coming months are a very good time to sign up to Plat.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
I applied for the Amex Gold this past Friday and received the non-instant approval message, so after reading this thread I called Amex today to enquire as to what the status was and she indicated that they were waiting to confirm my ID with my bank and were going to email me a form confirming my banking information which I could then PDF back to Amex and they would send it to the bank. I thought this was rather odd as I already have an Amex Plat, Aeroplan Gold, and SPG Amex (recently cancelled). Needless to say she said she still had to go through the process. Five minutes after getting of the phone, she called me back to say that she didn't have to go through this process after all and my card would be shipped out to me today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.