Review of Canadian Amex Plat

Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:39 pm

mark got it, you did get 60K (or 50K at least) welcome bonus, which is worth at least $600 CAD, not counting the $200 credit yet, or another $200 credit in 2015

If AMEX will not refund you, simply learn the lesson and not renew next year

AMEX Platinum is not for everyone, and one shouldn't sign up without 100% understanding its benefits and perks
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by markandrew

8. 10% off all Westjet fares can give a fair fare saving for domestic sloggers.
I'm not aware of this benefit, can anyone provide more details?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
I'm not aware of this benefit, can anyone provide more details?
If you hold Amex Plat and call their travel line they will book you any WJ online fare at any of the price points less 10% of the base fare, no booking fees. I have used this extensively for friends (nil requirement that the cardholder travels), although I do not fly WJ myself, albeit that is subject to change since I dumped AC.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan

4. The insurance coverage is unparalleled as far as I know, my bags arrived late to TPE, the agent told me I would have zero problem reclaiming $1,000 expenses as long as the delay was more than three hours. I can confirm this was true, although I did not max out.
What did you need to do to claim the expenses ? Which expenses are eligible ? Recently I had my bag delayed for the first time ever but I didn't (know) to take advantage of the baggage delay insurance. It was late and I just wanted to rest so I didn't go out to buy anything. My bag was delivered the day after.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by choupeo
What did you need to do to claim the expenses ? Which expenses are eligible ? Recently I had my bag delayed for the first time ever but I didn't (know) to take advantage of the baggage delay insurance. It was late and I just wanted to rest so I didn't go out to buy anything. My bag was delivered the day after.
Call the Concierge and let them know what happened. They will let you know what is covered or not. Usually you can get a piece of paper from the airline saying that your luggage is missing/delayed, and that's the proof you need.

Interestingly, the OP of the thread has not posted again...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:34 pm

I bought toiletries, underwear socks, a polo, shorts and a shirt, trousers and shoes; all decent branded - Lacoste polo - np question asked. I believe I claimed $600 or so on a 36h delay, no issue. I informed them of ANA's meagre $70 airport allowance on a revenue J ticket with *G which I had to negotiate for at TPE (handled by BR, I think they started at like $40). After the insurance refund, I also heard back from ANA's customer care (and I mean care) and received a generous cheque and AP miles for the inconvenience. I did make a donation out of windfall.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Can anyone confirm that the WJ discount is for sure 10%?? We (as a company) spend at least 25-50K a year on Westjet, so this would pay for the annual fee ten-fold.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Can anyone confirm that the WJ discount is for sure 10%?? We (as a company) spend at least 25-50K a year on Westjet, so this would pay for the annual fee ten-fold.
I've never seen an official documentation/link on this, but you should probably call AMEX ,or AMEX Travel service to confirm such, at least for your routings

I think you have to call AMEX to book to receive 10% off
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I can 110% confirm the 10% off ALL WJ base fares. I have used many times for other people. Plat Travel Services will confirm this although they are likely to say the percentage varies, which it does from the gross fare but it is 10% off net.The only caveat is we have learnt that no benefits are guaranteed to be permanent.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:55 pm

I can 110% confirm the 10% off ALL WJ base fares. I have used many times for other people. Plat Travel Services will confirm this although they are likely to say the percentage varies, which it does from the gross fare but it is 10% off net.The only caveat is we have learnt that no benefits are guaranteed to be permanent.
I can "120% confirm" I was told 8% discount, proceeded to call Amex to book a WJ flihgt only to be told by Amex this perk is no longer available.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I can "120% confirm" I was told 8% discount, proceeded to call Amex to book a WJ flihgt only to be told by Amex this perk is no longer available.
When was this?

I may cancel preemptively now if this is confirmed.

My last booking was 10 days ago.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:39 pm

Review of Canadian Amex Plat

can anyone confirm what benefits AMEX Platnium holders get when booking a cruise?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:04 pm

When was this?
I may cancel preemptively now if this is confirmed.
My last booking was 10 days ago.
Mine was ~ 3 months ago.
Let's price YOW-YVR, Westjet, nonstop, one-way, Fri May 16, 7am. Online it's $296.
10% off base should net to $275 all in

PS - Was just told the discount is between 7-10% depending on the fare code booked. Further, Rep told me this deal expired yesterday and AS YET has not been renewed.

P!sses me off that I've made bookings and specifically told it was not in place when it was. I expect PTS reps to be on the ball all of the time.

Last edited by CloudsBelow; Apr 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Elite
Originally Posted by roastpuff
You missed a few things.
Platinum Travel Credit of $200. This brings the card down to $499 as a net cost. The Fine Hotels & Resorts rate can be more expensive at times, but the benefits of property credit, early check-in/late check-out, breakfast and room upgrade is quite useful. Vegas might not be the best place to use it. The travel website contains all types of hotels, not just the high-end ones... but what weekend did you go? I found the rates on Canada Day to be quite reasonable for higher end properties like the Bellagio, Mandarin Oriental, etc.
Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Gold. This benefit is ending at the end of the month, but since it seems like you've had it for a month, you should've gotten it before it ended. Cathay has some great lounges around the world, and the Gold membership allows you access into Oneworld (American Airlines in North America - AAdmirals lounges) lounges on any class of travel as long as you're flying with an Oneworld airline. This status also gives you priority check-in, boarding, etc. Lasts for one year and then you get fast track to maintain status.
Plaza Premium and Priority Pass lounges are found in most major airports. YVR, YYC, YEG, YYZ, etc, all have such lounges, as do most USA airports. There is a Priority Pass app that helps you find lounges worldwide, and Amex's website has a lounge finder.
Airline benefits can be useful for international travel, not so much for North American. The one useful thing for Canadian travel is the Platinum discount for Westjet fares.

I haven't used the concierge or car rental, so I don't have much to say in that regard.
Where did you hear about the Marco Polo benefit going away?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
If you have only had the card for thirty days, then how come your annual fee is paid? Usually it would not be payable for sixty days after card is approved.
I haven't paid the annual fee yet -- it was billed. My payment is due next week.

What is the status of your bonus points of 50,000 or 60,000 for sign up? If these have not been credited to date or if they are remaining on your account, then you should make clear to Amex that you are willing to forfeit these and you may get a much more enthusiastic reply to a request for refund.

If you are trying to grab the sign up bonus and then run and refund, you cannot seriously expect Amex to allow this? You may have given them $699, but they have spend way way more than that on you already and you cannot expect them to just swallow all those fixed expenses and give you back your $699.
I don't disagree with you on this point -- and yes, I did get the bonus points already and I used some (but not all) of them. As I said, I agree with you that my request is a bit crazy given that I did get the benefit of the bonus points. Having said this, by cancelling the card Amex doesn't have to pay for the costs associated with the remaining 11 months of my membership (concierge, $200 travel credit, insurances, etc). So, I don't think this is as clear cut -- there are arguments to be made on my side and in Amex' favor.

I actually read the entire T&C's booklet for the Platinum card. There is absolutely no mention of the refundability (either pro or con) of the annual fee. At a minimum, I would have expected Amex to list on the disclosure page (that comes with the card) that the annual fee is non-refundable if this was their intention.

Here's the resolution of my issue:

I called Amex twice and I was told that the fee is non refundable (given my scenario -- as MA pointed out, if I had not used any of the points there may not have been an argument at all).

I called back after having read the full T&C's with the intention of speaking to a Supervisor. I ultimately spoke to an agent who asked me to explain my issue before she would transferred me to a supervisor. The Agent used Markandrew's argument --> she asked rhetorically (but respectfully) "do you expect us to give you the MR bonus points and refund your fee?". I made my argument that: (1) it isn't that clear in their T&C's that the annual fee is non-refundable *and* (2) that Amex avoids certain costs when I cancel the card early.

She actually agreed with my logic and asked me what I thought would be a reasonable solution. I suggested that they prorate the refund -- I've had the card for 1 month so I suggested that a refund of 11 months of the annual fee would be fair. She agreed. She processed the refund and cancelled the card.

I fully acknowledge that I should not have applied and used this card until I was 100% sure that I could justify the $699 annual fee based on my travel needs. For what it's worth, in the month that I've had the card, I've charged over $5k to the card so it isn't like I just met the minimum spending threshold and then cancelled it.

I will give a huge ^ to Amex for handling this situation the way it has -- they truly are a customer service oriented company (even when the customer is 'arguably' at fault, they seem to always step up to plate).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.