Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each personal card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • This rule does not apply to business cards. As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Posts discussing a thread in the Chase forum have been quarantined here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...uarantine.html

I will consult with the Chase moderators about where to put these posts.

Originally Posted by DavidAL
...sounds like today AmEx is pulling affiliate links for bloggers.....
Thank you. No question (in my mind) that American Express is on the warpath against churners, and they may try a variety strategies to prevent or discourage it. Nonetheless I don't think it will include broadly blocking bonuses for first time applicants of co-branded cards, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are some isolated incidents of CSR's offering that as an explanation. Using the term "may" gives American Express substantial flexibility to choose who they want as a customer.

Last edited by mia; Apr 15, 2014 at 8:49 am
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by AnthonyGT
So is there any need/benefit to signing up for an AMEX card you've never held in the past by May 1? For example, I've never held the Personal Platinum card. Whether I get one before or after May 1, I'll be limited to the one-time bonus rule. Correct?

It really only matters for I card I've had and cancelled. In that case I could try and grab the bonus one more time before May 1. Is that right?
This is my situation as well. My PRG is more than a year old (got a bonus). My SPG is less than a year old (got a bonus). My BC is 3 months old (no bonus offered). I was waiting for a 100k Platinum offer, seeing how I've never had a platinum card before. But if they are saying no more bonuses for existing members I should apply now???
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by explorer84
Dont know if ppl have seen what DD is reporting: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/42972#comments

It appears we are in a window where the 12 month rule is not in effect, and the new rule is not in effect.

In other words, for example, if you had a SPG card and cancelled it last month you could theoretically get it now with the bonus.

I have not tried it, and will see what shakes out on the DDFs
DDF is not answering on it.

If 12-mo rule is not in effect, can i apply for another while I have a SPG personal card (using incognito mode)? It would bypass the cookies but AMEX will still see it against the ssn.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:38 pm

So no reports of success or failures from applications done under the new language? I was thinking I might go for it...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mabramovich
So no reports of success or failures from applications done under the new language? I was thinking I might go for it...
Last post reporting an app was two weeks ago. But maybe not a whole lot of FT folks follow this thread? I'd like to go for several AMEXs at once, but am really overdone with my HPs, and don't want to waste another one for nothing. Hmmm... What to do, what to do?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Does the lifetime limitation only towards personal cards or biz cards as well?

I think, I am going to apply for a second personal SPG card this weekend to test the 12-mo rule. How long/ much does a hard-pull affect the credit score for future? Incase, this doesn't work I will like to open some other cc in next 4-6weeks.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:41 am
Used to be 'cfras701'

Posted by MIA - Post#142: This notice was introduced about a year ago. It is triggered by browser cookies which show that you currently have an account. If you revisit the page using a Private or Incognito browser window the cookies will not be read, and the warning will not be displayed. If you then apply, and do not identify yourself as an existing account holder, the application will be processed normally. American Express will, of course, know immediately that you are an existing customer when it matches your Social Security number. Nonetheless, you are likely to obtain the bonus, unless you are disqualified for another reason, but no one can guarantee success.
Today I used Chrome Incognito to obtain the Delta Gold AMEX 35K bonus offer. Even though I’ve had the Delta Gold AMEX once before, I did close that account January 2013. I just filled out the the app and got approved instantly. However, I am holding my breath as to whether or not I will actually get the bonus this time around. I’m within the “12 months since last card” rule, and I’m under the rule changes of May 1st 2014, so time will tell. I’ll post my results here after I meet the spend.

Any predictions as to how you think this will play out? I hope MIA is correct in his/her “you are likely to obtain the bonus” prediction.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:07 pm

3 Browser App Today

I just used IE, Chrome, and Safari, all in private mode, to put in 3 apps.
SPG, which I canceled last August
PRG, which I canceled 2 months ago
Everyday Preferred, which of course I have never had before.
None of them were instantly approved.
Two had "please call us" messages, and one said we'll let you know in 10 to 14 days. 10 days still puts me in April, but 14 would be after the dreaded May 1st.

So I called in, and used the reference number for the Everyday card. After @5 minutes on hold with the computer, a CSR (in India I think) looked up the app, and said "oh, you also applied for" and mentioned the other two apps. All I said was "Yes".

In just a couple of minutes he approved the PRG. He said I needed to call back in 4 or 5 days about the other two apps, because right now the computer is considering them duplicate apps. I at first thought that meant the computer was going to throw them out, but no, it's just a delay in considering them.

The way he said it sounded positive for approval. At any rate, he was definitely encouraging me to call about them. Not sure if he meant I could get a decision on both of them on that next call, but it sounded like it.

Time is running out, get your apps in now.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Brugge
Two had "please call us" messages, and one said we'll let you know in 10 to 14 days. 10 days still puts me in April, but 14 would be after the dreaded May 1st.

So I called in, and used the reference number for the Everyday card. After @5 minutes on hold with the computer, a CSR (in India I think) looked up the app, and said "oh, you also applied for" and mentioned the other two apps. All I said was "Yes".

In just a couple of minutes he approved the PRG. He said I needed to call back in 4 or 5 days about the other two apps, because right now the computer is considering them duplicate apps. I at first thought that meant the computer was going to throw them out, but no, it's just a delay in considering them.

The way he said it sounded positive for approval. At any rate, he was definitely encouraging me to call about them. Not sure if he meant I could get a decision on both of them on that next call, but it sounded like it.

There is a time when AMEX allow you to do multi apps in a day, but it has been changed for a while, at least when I tried to do a 2BM on AMEX during August, I was told that I need to wait 5-6 days for my second app.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
In March I applied for amex brg and personal Hilton card on the same day and got it approved on the same day.
In April my SO applied for business platinum and amex blue card on the same day and got approval on both right away.
However last Aug, I applied for spg personal and business on the same day and the business card was approved after about a week.
So based on my experience, something has changed recently.

Originally Posted by sincera4565

There is a time when AMEX allow you to do multi apps in a day, but it has been changed for a while, at least when I tried to do a 2BM on AMEX during August, I was told that I need to wait 5-6 days for my second app.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:56 am

I applied for a Plat. and Everyday preferred last week and got approved for both. My target letter wasn't working well so I called in and applied for the Everyday Preferred online about an hour later.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:10 pm

You can in fact apply for several AMEX cards at the same time. All the CSR said was he could not approve all of them on the same Recon call. I have to wait 5 days for approval for another card. But the multiple apps weren't canceled, they are just on hold. He did not say I should not have applied for several at once. He did not even ask why I had done that. He very much encouraged me to call back to get the other cards approved.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
You can in fact apply for several AMEX cards at the same time. All the CSR said was he could not approve all of them on the same Recon call. I have to wait 5 days for approval for another card. But the multiple apps weren't canceled, they are just on hold. He did not say I should not have applied for several at once. He did not even ask why I had done that. He very much encouraged me to call back to get the other cards approved.
but if the second app will be on hold, what is the reason for doing two apps at the same time then? From my experience, the two pulls wouldn't merge and your odds of approving are equal comparing to wait 5 days and apply.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:21 pm

I have had amex deny me a bonus after spending $10k since I had another card <12 months back. If we get approved, how can we be sure we will get the bonus? Am I missing something? Or is everyone ok with the risk?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but if the second app will be on hold, what is the reason for doing two apps at the same time then? From my experience, the two pulls wouldn't merge and your odds of approving are equal comparing to wait 5 days and apply.
Are you referring the apps done in 5 days apart, or referring the apps done on the same day?

I cannot see why the 2 pulls done on same day would not merge unless different cards generate pulls from different entities inside AMEX. That does not seem to be the case though as AMEX seems to not even differentiate the entities between personal and business app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.