Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
It is essential to read the terms of the specific offer, but in general:

This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
  • You can only earn one new account bonus for each personal card issued by American Express in the USA. We do not know precisely how far back American Express looks to see if you have previously held the same card, but there is anecdotal evidence that the Customer Service database looks back only seven years. This means that if you cancelled a card in 2007 or earlier, and have not held it since, you will probably qualify for a new account bonus in 2015.
  • Holding a related card does not disqualify earning a new account bonus. Examples: Green, Gold, and Platinum are each separate products. Delta Gold, Platinum and Reserve are each separate products. The Hilton credit card is a different product than Hilton Surpass.
  • Holding a Supplementary Card (authorized user) on someone else's account does not disqualify you from earning a new acount bonus if you open the same card type in your own name.
  • This rule does not apply to business cards. As of mid-February 2016, Amex appears to be adding the same restriction to its business card products.
  • If you receive a targeted offer, online or through the USPS, for a card which you have previously held you may, or may not, actually receive the bonus. Be certain to save a copy of the offer, and to read and save every screen which appears during the application process.
  • Upgrade offers are different from new account offers. You may be offered a bonus to upgrade (for example) a Gold Card to a Platinum Card, and you may be eligible for that bonus even if you previously held a Platinum card. It is still essential to read and save the terms of the offer.

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer.
  • This language appeared in the Spring of 2013, a year before the once-in-a lifetime policy was announced. The key term is "may", which gives American Express discretion to award or withhold the bonus.
  • To reduce the risk that the automated system will deny a new account bonus, RIGHT click the application link and open the application in a Private or Incognito browser window. American Express will still know that you are a current cardholder, but the system will not flag your application.

Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 - 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached.
  • In practice it is not possible to know when American Express's system will credit a bonus to your rewards account. It may happen immediately after you meet the target spend, or it may happen when the next statement (or the following statement) is generated, or it may take the full eight weeks.
Print Wikipost

Put a fork in it 5.1.2014: One bonus per personal card per person "lifetime" [USA]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
The only AMEX I've had canceled at least a year is my PRG. Worth getting again before 5/1/14? Also, this will likely kill the AMEX Hilton > Surpass > Hilton > Surpass never-ending Hilton points trick, won't it?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by roki
The only AMEX I've had canceled at least a year is my PRG. Worth getting again before 5/1/14? Also, this will likely kill the AMEX Hilton > Surpass > Hilton > Surpass never-ending Hilton points trick, won't it?
I hope you are able to get another PRG bonus. I had mine refused because I held other AMEX products. I had the PRG card in the past but it has been closed for several years.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by babycakes01
I hope you are able to get another PRG bonus. I had mine refused because I held other AMEX products. I had the PRG card in the past but it has been closed for several years.
When I got it originally, it was a targeted 75K offer. I'd probably only bother fighting for it before 5/1/14 if I could get something over the 25K standard offer.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
See this thread for an example of the new terms:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-after-2k.html
Old Mar 11, 2014, 6:22 pm

If this is true then this would mean you couldn't get a signup bonus for you have had a specific card in the past.

So If you have not had a PLT card but you have had a PRG then you could still get the sign up bonus for the PLT card as long as you have not had the PRG card in the past 12 months correct? This would hold true for other family of cards such as the hilton cards etc where in the past you could not receive a signup bonus if you held one of the family cards within the past 12 months.

Additionally, if I have a PLT personnel card but have never had a PLT business then I could still get a signup bonus after 1 May if this program is implemented.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roki
Also, this will likely kill the AMEX Hilton > Surpass > Hilton > Surpass never-ending Hilton points trick, won't it?
Perhaps, but it won't kill the much simpler never-ending Hilton points trick of applying for one of these cards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nors-visa.html

as often as every 33 days (as long as you can do the minimum spend that often) for 50k each time. (And, btw, unlike Amex, Citi won't even approve you for the card if they're not going to give you a bonus, so if you're approved at Citi, you'll get the bonus at Citi. And, btw, unlike Amex, at Citi you don't have to cancel before applying again.)

I don't know why anyone would bother (up to now) with the relatively slow Hilton > Surpass > Hilton > Surpass trick, compared to churning the Citi 50k, since I doubt the Hilton > Suprass > Hilton > Suprass trick can generate points at 50k as quickly as every 33 days.

Please note: 33 days is about the theorteical maximum, and is based on Citi rules of no more than 1 app in an 8+ day period and no more than 2 apps in a 65 days period. I don't know if anyone has done it to quite that degree on a nonstop basis. But there are certainly people who've gotten the Citi 50k bonus multiple times a year over multiple years.

... So while there are various miles/points programs in which it'll get harder to accumulate because of this Amex signup bonus change, IMHO Hilton is not one of them.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Unless something miraculous happens, this is a whole lot more than a possibility
Well, until May 1, I hold to the possibility of it not happening. Until people start getting declined for bonuses, it can't quite be a certainty. But, honestly, it looks pretty certain .
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I hope this is not true. Amex is capable is enforcing this. It will be a return of the bad old days.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA/AA
I'd consider getting another American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Card, but with their current offer..it's not worth the effort.

Earn 10,000 Starpoints after your first purchase on the Card and an additional 15,000 Starpoints after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 6 months
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:05 am
mia

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
If this is true then this would mean....
I think it's premature to speculate at this level of detail. American Express can write the rule however they choose. They could limit individuals to one bonus per rewards program per lifetime. We simply need to see the terms of the offers, and then we need to apply (knowing that we may receive nothing) and report.

Originally Posted by jaymar01
... with their current offer..it's not worth the effort.
The best offer (in recent years) is only 5,000 points greater. Would that have been worth the effort?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
I think it's premature to speculate at this level of detail. American Express can write the rule however they choose. They could limit individuals to one bonus per rewards program per lifetime. We simply need to see the terms of the offers, and then we need to apply (knowing that we may receive nothing) and report.

The best offer (in recent years) is only 5,000 points greater. Would that have been worth the effort?
I hope they disclose this is true or not in soon and release the terms before 1 may so we decide if we want to make a run at a couple cards before 1 may.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I hope they disclose...
Here are the terms from the offer linked in post 19, which appears to be the first example:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had a Platinum Card® account enrolled in the Membership Rewards® program.
They can disqualify you if you currently hold any American Express Card -or- if you have ever held a Platinum Card. There's still plenty of ambiguity, and I think this is intentional. Examples:

• The first sentence is not new, and their use of the term may allows them to evaluate individual applicants.
  • A Platinum Card account enrolled in the Membership Rewards program could include personal, business, corporate, Ameriprise, Goldman-Sachs, Mercedes, Morgan Stanley, etc.

I think you will be disappointed if you're expecting American Express to unambiguously restate these terms in the next 45 days.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:37 am
Suspended

I will only hurt AMEX.
If there are no more sign-up bonuses people will not get the card and use it.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:05 am
mia

@:-) There will be sign-up bonuses for people who get the card and use it, but not for people who cancel and reapply.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 7:15 am
Suspended

When people want to cancel for whatever reason, they will not return as they do not get the bonus. This mean that the AMEX user base inevitably will shrink. Eventually, this will means bankruptcy for AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.