Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX AVIOS 50% CANADA [Where is it?]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Can only hope something happens somewhere down the line.
Old May 17, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
this is the longest dry stretch we've had in a few years...
Old May 24, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: Avios, AMEX, AeroPlan, BMO, AS, WestJet
lol i dont think so ^ . getting rbc rewards are difficult and hard as hell, even the signup bonus is pathetic 15k only, and the only way to get a substantial amount would be if you were a spender. however to spend on rbc avion is idiocy as they only give 1 rbc reward back per $1.

Analogous to amex? well with the 50k+ MR sign up per amex cc they offer, its relatively reasonable BA is exercising caution with amex and wants to make sure theyre targeting high spenders

all of that said, they had one in oct-dec, and the CSR had her supervisor (very nice british ppl + adored their accent) confirm their goal is 2/year so 1 probably june-sept, and one most definitely oct-dec
Old May 25, 2014, 9:24 am
alc

Originally Posted by microcosm
even the signup bonus is pathetic 15k only
I am not sure 15K sign-up bonus is pathetic. That is the same as CIBC and TD on their Aeroplan card without promo. RBC do run 20K sign-up bonus and/or FYF every now and then.

however to spend on rbc avion is idiocy as they only give 1 rbc reward back per $1.
Can you expand what do you mean here? Is there any card that is ~$120 annual fee range that do not just earn 1 point per $1 spend? Some give you incentive when you spend more and at some places, but overall, most (if not all) of them are 1 point per $1 spend. With the transfer bonus, you do end up getting more than 1 point per $1 spend.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by alc
I am not sure 15K sign-up bonus is pathetic. That is the same as CIBC and TD on their Aeroplan card without promo. RBC do run 20K sign-up bonus and/or FYF every now and then.
15k rbc rewards is pathetic because the annual fee is only waived for new customers unlike TD which offered me FYF + they offered short flight 2-1 pass and bunch of other bonuses. 2nd i never saw 20k sign up bonus this year (should logically been this year with all new AP competition CCs), and FYF again is only for new clients (means you must have no rbc cc's at all) which is never going to be me because rbc cc is one of my oldest cc. 2nd cibc has more than 1 you can get, the reg plat and the premium i forget the names from top of my head as i just missed their FYF but theyre very lenient in letting you get both so 30k @ FYF.

Can you expand what do you mean here? Is there any card that is ~$120 annual fee range that do not just earn 1 point per $1 spend? Some give you incentive when you spend more and at some places, but overall, most (if not all) of them are 1 point per $1 spend. With the transfer bonus, you do end up getting more than 1 point per $1 spend.
its $1 for everything (exception 1.25% for travel which is still garbage), no bonuses for grocery/gas/anything. you should know better as that 99% of cards out there are better than this crappy card, even ones without annual fee.

Last edited by mia; May 26, 2014 at 7:07 am Reason: Remove reply to deleted post.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:05 am

alright so its going to be july 1st-sept which is going to be tomorrow, or theyre going to run 1 promo only in oct-dec.. i personally at this point dont care because im not getting the amex $700 plat which would of accounted for most of my MRs since theyve killed the card
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:53 am

alright so its going to be july 1st-sept which is going to be tomorrow, or theyre going to run 1 promo only in oct-dec.. i personally at this point dont care because im not getting the amex $700 plat which would of accounted for most of my MRs since theyve killed the card
Are you asking something? Or are you telling us something?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:56 pm

I'd assume that if they did run the promo it wouldn't be a surprise one...
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
I lost hope on this promo, so I transferred a big chunk of my MR points to SPG.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
I lost hope on this promo, so I transferred a big chunk of my MR points to SPG.
I would still value MR>BA at 1:1 better than 1:.5 for SPG.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 3:05 pm

Doesn't look like they're going to have the promo this month
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Doesn't look like they're going to have the promo this month
Pretty disappointing. Though they have a bigger than usual Points Drop promotion that expires today. I can't see them launching both promos at once.

Hopefully after it expires and sometime this month, they can still have the BA promo.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
promotions don't always begin on the 1st of a month... they can start any time.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by pointshogger
Pretty disappointing. Though they have a bigger than usual Points Drop promotion that expires today. I can't see them launching both promos at once.

Hopefully after it expires and sometime this month, they can still have the BA promo.
Originally Posted by bajrbajr
promotions don't always begin on the 1st of a month... they can start any time.
i personally dont care about the promo since my annual fee isnt coming up anytime soon to tuck away my MR points... now spg can be worth 2-5c, but then again it really depends on your lifestyle requirements and whether you would really shell out that much $$ for a luxury stay. so its very subjective, as spg transfer to some is worth it, to others (frugal usually) not so much

lastly i remember reading a veteran's statements somewhere they said theyve observed the pattern of the first tuesday of the month they roll out their promotions usually... now it looks like it wont happen this time.. but nonetheless one is guaranteed by oct atleast as affirmed by the CSR and supervisior confirmation, so if your annual fee is kept off till then... theres hope
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:29 pm

i personally dont care about the promo since my annual fee isnt coming up anytime soon to tuck away my MR points... now spg can be worth 2-5c, but then again it really depends on your lifestyle requirements and whether you would really shell out that much $$ for a luxury stay. so its very subjective, as spg transfer to some is worth it, to others (frugal usually) not so much

lastly i remember reading a veteran's statements somewhere they said theyve observed the pattern of the first tuesday of the month they roll out their promotions usually... now it looks like it wont happen this time.. but nonetheless one is guaranteed by oct atleast as affirmed by the CSR and supervisior confirmation, so if your annual fee is kept off till then... theres hope
Not sure who told you that (and I highly doubt csrs are given that info) but I trust this source a bit more which basically says nothing:

http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2014/06...-amex.html?m=1

Also, you shouldn't base your strategy around the annual fee as you can always obtain another MR card which would allow you to keep your points even if you cancel one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.