Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
*** Limited time offer ***
Amex EveryDay 15000 MR points after $1000 in 3 months

The 15,000 MR points offer is still available via referral from someone who already has the card. See or ask for this in the discussion. Or look at the Amex referral page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...posting-3.html.

These are the direct links on americanexpress.com. I have not scoured the internet to seek better offers. Note that both offers include this standard language:

If we identify you as currently having an American Express Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product.
Opening the application link in a Private or Incognito browser window, and not supplying any information about existing accounts, should prevent American Express from identifying you as currently having a card during the application process. They can still instantly determine this using your Social Security number, but in practice this may not occur.

Everyday Preferred (Groceries 3X, Gasoline 2X, General 1X; 50% bonus for 30 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 15,000 POINTS
Get 15,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.

ANNUAL FEE
$95 Annual Fee
--------------

Everyday (Groceries 2X, General 1X; 20% bonus for 20 transactions in a billing cycle): - LINK

EARN 10,000 POINTS
Get 10,000 Membership Rewards points after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.

ANNUAL FEE
NO ANNUAL FEE
**You can now do a product change from AMEX Blue to the regular fee free AMEX EveryDay card. Unsure about other AMEX products that you can change TO the EveryDay card** This would probably preclude you from receiving any sign-up bonus, but moving from the Blue to this card is a + for some.

Use this calculator to work out whether you're better off with the preferred or regular card.
Print Wikipost

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

American Express "Everyday" Cards (2014 - 2021)

I'm surprised there's not already a thread on this?

Amex is introducing new two MR-earning credit cards next month:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...emium-products
http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/amer...wards-earning/

Thoughts?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:30 pm

I'm totally going to switch my PRG to the premium everyday card. I'm hoping I'll be eligible for the bonus
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Card details from TPG:

EveryDay Credit Card (No Annual Fee)
* Sign-up bonus: 10,000 points when you spend $1,000 in 90 days
* Earning: Earn 2x Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (not including warehouse stores like Costco), on up to $6,000 per year on purchases (then 1x); and 1x points on all other purchases.
* Spending Bonus: Use the Card to make 20 or more purchases in a billing period and earn 20% extra points on all those purchases less returns and credits.
* App: A digital counter in the Amex Mobile app helps keep track of each qualifying purchase for the bonus, so Card Members always know when theyre close to earning 20% extra Membership Rewards points.
* Other features: The Card will also come with smart chip technology and a 0% introductory rate on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months.

EveryDay Preferred Credit Card ($95 annual fee)
* Sign-up bonus: 15,000 points when you spend $1,000 in 90 days
* Earning: Earn 3x Membership Rewards points at U.S. supermarkets (not including warehouse stores like Costco), on up to $6,000 per year on purchases (then 1x); 2x on US standalone gas stations; and 1x points on all other purchases.
* Spending Bonus: Use the Card to make 30 or more purchases in a billing period and earn 50% extra points on all those purchases less returns and credits.
* App: A digital counter in the Amex Mobile app helps keep track of each qualifying purchase for the bonus, so Card Members always know when theyre close to earning 50% extra Membership Rewards points.
* Other features: The Card will also come with smart chip technology and a 0% introductory rate on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months.
* Annual fee: $95
Response to Freedom/CSP?

I'll admit I'm intrigued.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Everyday preferred could give CSP a run for its money. 2.25x on all purchases with 30 swipes/month which is easy for any flyertalker, esp after united gutted their chart.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:53 am

If I was back in the U.S. then this would compete with my CSP. HOwever, right now since I'm leaving overseas this will only be added to make sure I don't lose my MR points when I close out my PLT and PRG cards. SO I'm at least happy about that aspect of the card.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exmike
Everyday preferred could give CSP a run for its money. 2.25x on all purchases with 30 swipes/month which is easy for any flyertalker, esp after united gutted their chart.
Where did you get 2.25x from? I don't think that's right.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: Delta Flyer
I wonder if this means that we'll have some interested modifications to the PRG and Plat cards as well.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Interesting. The annual fee card allows you to earn 1.5 Starwood points on supermarkets and 1.0 Starwood points on gasoline, assuming you hit the 30 purchases per billing period (which will require much more than just supermarket & gasoline purchases). (Membership Rewards has a 3 to 1 ratio to Starwood). That's better than the SPG Amex, but again - you'd need to use it at other merchants where you'd lose out vs Starwood Amex. Which means Starwood Amex remains the better American Express card.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Platinum
So, with the preferred version, if you hit 30 transactions in a month, you are getting 5x on groceries (3x baseline + "50%" bonus)?

Last edited by AirD0c; Mar 2, 2014 at 7:44 am
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
I'm totally going to switch my PRG to the premium everyday card. I'm hoping I'll be eligible for the bonus
Me too. Just ran some numbers. I put about $2500 (to meet the 30k threshold) monthly on my PRG. About $500 in groceries and $100 in gas. Probably an average of $150 for airfare (based on annual estimate).

Assuming I understand the Everyday Preferred correctly (3x groceries, 2x gas and an additional 2x on all purchases after 30 transactions in a month), I estimate I'd earn about ~6k MR a month on Everyday preferred vs ~5k on PRG (including 15k annual bonus). With the cheaper AF, seems like a no brainer.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:03 am

Keep in mind that the new Everyday Preferred card has a $6000 annual limit on groceries at 3x while the PRG has no such limitation
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by upgrader
Keep in mind that the new Everyday Preferred card has a $6000 annual limit on groceries at 3x while the PRG has no such limitation
Yea this is a good point. 6k annually is about what we spend, maybe a little more. In our case still think Everyday Preferred comes out ahead but clearly will depend on your spending patterns.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Assuming I understand the Everyday Preferred correctly (3x groceries, 2x gas and an additional 2x on all purchases after 30 transactions in a month), I estimate I'd earn about ~6k MR a month on Everyday preferred vs ~5k on PRG (including 15k annual bonus). With the cheaper AF, seems like a no brainer.
Why additional 2x after 30? It's a 50% bonus, so supermarkets are 4.5x, gas is 3x and everything else is 1.5x
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by silver6054
Why additional 2x after 30? It's a 50% bonus, so supermarkets are 4.5x, gas is 3x and everything else is 1.5x
Hmm, I think you're right, but it's not clear to me if the 50% is based on the base amount (I think it is) versus the base + bonus. So for example, lets say you spend $100 on gas and make your 30 transactions. 2x would net 200 MR points. 50% on base would be an additional 50 MR for a total of 250 MR (2.5x, not 3x). Either way I was over counting as you point out (I initially interpreted 50% as 2x, but that would be 200%, I think).
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by upgrader
That, and PRG has the 15k MR points bonus on $30k in annual spending.

It would be interesting if someone could do the math with some basic numbers.

Compare Preferred everyday and PRG with $30k in annual spending, $6000 in grocery spending and say $4000 in gas purchases.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.