Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX platinum business card, 150K MR with 20K spend in 3MO

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I believe it'll cost $300 to add an AU for Amex open plat business card.... bummer... probably won't do it.
not if they get a green card. I just picked up the 100k/10k offer. they wouldn't/couldn't find anything for 100k/5k. added two green cards for free
Old May 21, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
not if they get a green card. I just picked up the 100k/10k offer. they wouldn't/couldn't find anything for 100k/5k. added two green cards for free
did you receive something in the mail or did you just call the 1866 number?
Old May 21, 2015, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, a dollar is a dollar. American Express looks at the account, not the individual cards, when tracking new account bonuses.
I think the only difference between green supplementary card and plat supplementary card is the benefits of plat, right? (no plat benefit for green supplementary card holder)... so one dollar spent on green card gets one points regardless of spending category....

so you can now transfer points to the green card holders' frequent flyer account?

Last edited by mia; May 23, 2015 at 9:38 am
Old May 22, 2015, 3:11 am

I was checking out the process of getting additional user for my existing personal platinum card, and it turns out that you need to enter the SSN of the additional user... what the heck? I wonder why AmEx wants the SSN of the additional user? Will there be a credit report hard pull on the additional user?

AmEx is so much hassle to deal with. Chase only needs a name, nothing else, to get an authorized user card.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:49 am

I was checking out the process of getting additional user for my existing personal platinum card, and it turns out that you need to enter the SSN of the additional user... what the heck? I wonder why AmEx wants the SSN of the additional user? Will there be a credit report hard pull on the additional user?

AmEx is so much hassle to deal with. Chase only needs a name, nothing else, to get an authorized user card.
The AU doesn't get a hard pull but I believe they check to see if that person has had a bad relationship with them and if so, will not issue the card.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.. so one dollar spent on green card gets one points regardless of spending category....
Yes $1 = 1 base point.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
What are people's chances of automatic approval if your stated business income is zero? Also, reading up on the terms for this card, Amex says:

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product within the last 12 months.
Does this mean I can close, wait 12 (or 13, to be safe) months, and then apply for the card again? Or does this mean that I can get the sign on bonus every 12 months so I can apply for this card almost yearly?
Old May 27, 2015, 8:47 am

I told them I didn't have it and they issued, or said they would. Cards haven't arrived yet.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...you need to enter the SSN of the additional user...
Some discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-no-ssn.html
Old May 27, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier
did you receive something in the mail or did you just call the 1866 number?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22655300-post30.html

1-800 number at the link
Old May 28, 2015, 6:57 pm

Has anyone used MS to meet the 20K minimum spending requirement? Will any purchase count towards the minimum, or are some type of purchases not allowed? I'm concerned about having many large purchases at my local grocery store.
Old May 30, 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am trying to decide if it's worth biting on this offer given the incredible amount of churn needed to get the full bonus, but here it is:

100,000 MR with 10,000 spend (90 days)
50,000 MR extra with 10,000 additional spend (same 90 days)
$450 annual fee

For me, I would be doing standard manufactured spend churn to hit the target, so that breaks down as:

$20,000/$200 gift cards = 100 gift cards
100 gift cards x $6 (avg) = $600
100 gift cards x $1 (avg) MO fee = $100

So, that gives me 150,000 MR for a total approx cost of $1,150 or .008cpp

I am looking for the highest and best use of the points given that I still need to fly frequently to maintain my 1k status, so cashing in for free tickets is probably not in the cards, but redeeming for upgrades on *A partners would be my only likely option, although I have two business class tickets to either New Zealand or Africa in the horizon over the next year or two, and that might be an option for a free ticket redemption.

Is this exercise really worthwhile in the eyes of the community?
I am thinking the same thing. Got 2 150k offers in the mail last week (not sure the type of business amex think i have to send me 2 offers), but will most likely pass. Already got the personal plat so the benefits are redundant and just can't really justify all the work that'll be involved for me to hit the 20k mark. Would have been a different story if i didn't already have the personal plat.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gsxsilver
I am thinking the same thing. Got 2 150k offers in the mail last week (not sure the type of business amex think i have to send me 2 offers), but will most likely pass. Already got the personal plat so the benefits are redundant and just can't really justify all the work that'll be involved for me to hit the 20k mark. Would have been a different story if i didn't already have the personal plat.
After my primary vendor told me they won't accept Amex, I decided to pass. I have so many miles and points to go through without the headache of churning right now, it's not worth it.
Old May 31, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by bocastephen
After my primary vendor told me they won't accept Amex, I decided to pass. I have so many miles and points to go through without the headache of churning right now, it's not worth it.
a question, is there any reason you'd go for $200 GC's @ 100, v 40 x $500 for the same cost?
Old May 31, 2015, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
a question, is there any reason you'd go for $200 GC's @ 100, v 40 x $500 for the same cost?
I haven't been following the MR forum in detail recently, but I thought it wasn't really possible to get $500 cards anymore by credit card, let alone liquidate them easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.