Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

A Centurion exclusive — complimentary Hertz Platinum Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Centurion exclusive — complimentary Hertz Platinum Status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2014, 8:41 pm

The above post is totally correct. If you establish a relationship with a certain rental location is all it takes for anything. Just like a hotel. You do not need elite status anywhere now except airlines where employees have been locked down to what a computer will allow.

And free airlines upgrades still happen for friends and employees you just have to hope a Flyertalk customer does not get bumped and post as you have many flyertalk members who can see improper employee behavior when it comes to upgrades as the computer systems have good audit trails.

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
There's much discussion over time in the Hertz forum on Platinum status.
Try this thread, among several.
I'm a long-time Platinum member ... technically upgrades beyond Premium cars are beyond the scope of the program. But there are plenty of instances of Platinum members, myself included, being upgraded to Prestige cars.
A lot depends on the location and any relationship you can build with the local management.
I find rentals at some international locations tend to produce top-of-the-line upgrades. Renting a midsize and asking for a Mercedes S class is not going to happen. You need to tailor your request and, again, having a relationship with the location helps.
The biggest benefit of Platinum status in the US is the four-hour window at the end of the rental that can save a bundle if you need a little more flexibility returning the vehicle later than the scheduled time.
There's no four-hour window outside the US.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by gooseman13
Ironically we get the same four hour window for just having no status with Hertz and Amex Plat card.
I don't know if I'd call it "ironic". Just sad. This is another non-perk for Centurion holders. We already had all of this except the pick-up. The only real addition here is that I assume it will be honored more reliably than it currently is, which was the reason I always used Avis over Hertz before, even though the Hertz benefits were slightly better.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by aviators99
I don't know if I'd call it "ironic". Just sad. This is another non-perk for Centurion holders. We already had all of this except the pick-up. The only real addition here is that I assume it will be honored more reliably than it currently is, which was the reason I always used Avis over Hertz before, even though the Hertz benefits were slightly better.
For me, having the car curbside and the ride back at PHX and SEA is huge. I could have used it Thursday at DTW. Would have saved tramping thru the snow to find the car!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by sdix
For me, having the car curbside and the ride back at PHX and SEA is huge. I could have used it Thursday at DTW. Would have saved tramping thru the snow to find the car!
I think the curbside pickup is only at private jet terminals. You can get dropoff at any airport, subject to availability
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:22 pm

Not true - see the detail by airport here: http://www.hertz.com/platinumpickup
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
First, thanks to the OP for letting us know before Amex did.

But I'm wondering if this will perform better than Avis Presidents Club when renting in Europe? Does anyone have any experience?

Also I can't see how it would be better than Avis Presidents Club at LAX which is the US location I use the most.

And does Hertz have free weekend rentals like Avis First?
Old Feb 11, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Not true - see the detail by airport here: http://www.hertz.com/platinumpickup
Link doesn't work for me.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Link doesn't work for me.
Works fine for me on my iPad. Type it in...
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
Works fine for me on my iPad. Type it in...
Nope. Still doesn't work. I think what is happening is that the server recognizes that I am in Europe and it is trying to redirect to a Euro version of that page which of course does not exist. I'll send a note to the webmaster to get his act together.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When I search hertz.com with the keyword platinum I find references to this status, but how does it relate to their published elite tiers?

there are 3 levels of Gold Service consisting of Gold Plus Rewards, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star, and Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Presidents Circle.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/custo...earch=platinum
Old Feb 11, 2014, 8:31 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Nope. Still doesn't work. I think what is happening is that the server recognizes that I am in Europe and it is trying to redirect to a Euro version of that page which of course does not exist. I'll send a note to the webmaster to get his act together.
Just as an aside, your comment reminds me of a problem I had trying to upgrade my US Hertz account using my European Cent benefits. I'm not sure whether the same problem may apply to anyone who may have a US Cent but has a European based Hertz account:

My European Cent includes complimentary President's Circle membership. (Previously in the US market I was paying $300 annually to upgrade Five Star to Preisdent's Circle.) When I tried to initiate the upgrade to my account a couple years ago, the process would not work and Hertz Europe told me I had to have a European Hertz account to obtain the upgraded status. Thus, I established a second account with Hertz Germany that provided me the President's Circle status and have let my U.S. account go dormant the last couple years as it dropped back to Five Star.

Thus, others might possibly have the reverse problem where a European Hertz account might not upgrade to Platinum status through a US Cent benefit in which case it might be necessary to establish a US Hertz account.

In my case, once I established the European Hertz President's Circle account, I was quite happy because I realized the European Cent CDPs include complimentary collision damage waiver and excess liability in addition to the 4 hour grace period. (Naturally this is one situation where I would not advise anyone to abuse the CDP who does not have a legitimate entitlement to it, as I would think Hertz would then balk if it truly became necessary to pay a claim.)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
But I'm wondering if this will perform better than Avis Presidents Club ...?
From my very brief research, it looks like Hertz Platinum is going to compete with Avis Chairman, so that will make it much better than Avis President.

I'm looking forward to seeing exactly how they compete against each other (as an Avis Chairman and now a Hertz Plat). Should be interesting. In the past I have always gone with Avis because of the upgrades and the ride back to the terminal. I guess now I can actually go by who has the better rate.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNALUZU
From my very brief research, it looks like Hertz Platinum is going to compete with Avis Chairman, so that will make it much better than Avis President.

I'm looking forward to seeing exactly how they compete against each other (as an Avis Chairman and now a Hertz Plat). Should be interesting. In the past I have always gone with Avis because of the upgrades and the ride back to the terminal. I guess now I can actually go by who has the better rate.
The reason I said that is because I always get driven back to the airport even with Pres Club. But I'm not sure if I would get picked up from the airport with Hertz Plat. Does that work at LAX?

Also at Avis LAX I pretty much get any car I want. And free weekends often. And the last time I checked, Hertz was always more expensive. So I'm not sure that Hertz Platinum would be much better unless it performs well in Europe.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
The reason I said that is because I always get driven back to the airport even with Pres Club. But I'm not sure if I would get picked up from the airport with Hertz Plat. Does that work at LAX?

Also at Avis LAX I pretty much get any car I want. And free weekends often. And the last time I checked, Hertz was always more expensive. So I'm not sure that Hertz Platinum would be much better unless it performs well in Europe.
Nice! I never got a ride back to the terminal when I was Avis President. Of course, I never asked and didn't know it was an option back then. Now I just hold up the red Chairman folder when I pull in and they get someone to drive the car back.

I think Avis Chairman used to pick you up at the terminal as well, but that benefit went away long before I was upgraded. I am not sure how Hertz handles it. Seems like it could be a logistical problem since cars can't really park curbside and wait for people.

Not sure how it will work in Europe. I don't do much overseas travel that needs a car.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Has anyone actually signed up / used this?

Does it include Supplemental cards?

I haven't yet called to activate [website says supplemental cardholders must call], and was curious if it's worth my time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.