Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2014?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone actually received an "Invite" to the Centurion program in 2014?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:44 am

Any recent invites this month or last month?

Anyone received a US Centurion invite this month or last month?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:02 pm

Odd how everyone saying they just got invited are brand new members.

Not saying you guys are fake... Just odd when there's a lot of long time members trying so hard to get invites, and never getting any (despite meeting what we think are the requirements).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by sithlordabe

Not saying you guys are fake... Just odd when there's a lot of long time members trying so hard to get invites, and never getting any (despite meeting what we think are the requirements).
Getting an invite was how I got active on flyertalk. Invite showed up and I searched for information and landed here.

Not making a statement on the veracity of the posters, but it does not surprise me that they end up looking for info and search engines lead them here.

I would bet lots of people get invites with no real idea what the card is.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:32 am

Ah, indeed. Valid point.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:50 am

Programs: AC-50K MM, CX-SIL, Hyatt Globalist, MR/ SPG Lifetime Plat Prem Elite, Hilton Dia, UA 1K,
Originally Posted by GrnLantern

Well, I can't speak for others who are new members, but for myself being a new member....Flyertalk has been instrumental for me, in my decision about whether or not to go ahead with accepting the Centurion invite.

I actually received the invite back in July of this year, and pretty much waited until the cutoff date in September to accept it. There was a lot of mixed reviews on how cardholders felt about the value of this card.

I'll tell you something that is interesting. As I was enrolling for the different benefits associated with the Centurion card, I recall a number of cardholders saying that they had discontinued the "Diamond" status program for Cathay Pacific. Being that i was formerly a Amex Platinum card holder, and was also given the benefit of regaining "Gold" status with Cathay for another year, by acquiring 50% of the usual required miles......I was curious since I was moving up to the Centurion card, if there was a possibility of gaining "Diamond" status with Cathay.
After inquiring about it with the Centurion card services, they got back to me a couple weeks later.....confirming that Cathay would honor the "Diamond" status, if I were to accumulate 60,000 status miles before my new anniversary of my MP account. For me, this was great news as my renewal date had been extended to Feb 2015, and I was already at 53,000 miles.

Centurion may have had their ups and downs, but at least they're making an effort to try and improve matters.

After having the Centurion card for a few weeks now, personally I'm glad I pulled the trigger on accepting the invite. I travel extensively worldwide, so this card works for me nicely.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Pistolero
Well, I can't speak for others who are new members, but for myself being a new member....Flyertalk has been instrumental for me, in my decision about whether or not to go ahead with accepting the Centurion invite.

I actually received the invite back in July of this year, and pretty much waited until the cutoff date in September to accept it. There was a lot of mixed reviews on how cardholders felt about the value of this card.

I'll tell you something that is interesting. As I was enrolling for the different benefits associated with the Centurion card, I recall a number of cardholders saying that they had discontinued the "Diamond" status program for Cathay Pacific. Being that i was formerly a Amex Platinum card holder, and was also given the benefit of regaining "Gold" status with Cathay for another year, by acquiring 50% of the usual required miles......I was curious since I was moving up to the Centurion card, if there was a possibility of gaining "Diamond" status with Cathay.
After inquiring about it with the Centurion card services, they got back to me a couple weeks later.....confirming that Cathay would honor the "Diamond" status, if I were to accumulate 60,000 status miles before my new anniversary of my MP account. For me, this was great news as my renewal date had been extended to Feb 2015, and I was already at 53,000 miles.

Centurion may have had their ups and downs, but at least they're making an effort to try and improve matters.

After having the Centurion card for a few weeks now, personally I'm glad I pulled the trigger on accepting the invite. I travel extensively worldwide, so this card works for me nicely.

Congrats - Thats pretty cool - I like many, have had my name on the "interested" list for a while - would you mind sharing some info of your experience in obtaining the Centurion card. (or even some pictures of the invitation box and packaging and stuff)

Did you have to call in and put your name down or did they just send it it you out of the blue? Did you do anything out of the ordinary other that the rumored requirements i.e. certain amount/types of expenditure? Are you U.S. based or an international AMEX member?

Thanks for any insight in advance.

Last edited by RupertPumpkin; Nov 1, 2014 at 8:25 pm
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:05 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Pistolero

And your reasons? What benefits have provided additional value (or will provide additional value)?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by tuchop
Maybe some of us pay with cash? ^
Which must raise flags and suggest generating spend? Maybe it is different in the USA but in the UK only the poor or those with a black market income would pay cash.

We set up direct debits- they just take the amount die from our bank accounts every month.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Which must raise flags and suggest generating spend? Maybe it is different in the USA but in the UK only the poor or those with a black market income would pay cash.

We set up direct debits- they just take the amount die from our bank accounts every month.
I already explained that, maybe if you went that far in the thread you could continue reading a bit more. I'm based in Argentina. I'm not sure if you're aware of the current Argentine politics and economic problems. Every month you have to pay Amex in local currency. There's a 4.5% MONTHLY inflation atm (local currency: Argentine Pesos). If I keep pesos in a bank that means I loose almost 5% of that every month.. its insane. So every time I pay for my credit card, I change dollars to pesos and then go and pay it, with cash.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by tuchop
I already explained that, maybe if you went that far in the thread you could continue reading a bit more. I'm based in Argentina. I'm not sure if you're aware of the current Argentine politics and economic problems. Every month you have to pay Amex in local currency. There's a 4.5% MONTHLY inflation atm (local currency: Argentine Pesos). If I keep pesos in a bank that means I loose almost 5% of that every month.. its insane. So every time I pay for my credit card, I change dollars to pesos and then go and pay it, with cash.
Where in Argentina is rtw?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator translation service

Where in Argentina is rtw?
RTW = Round the world
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

As far as the US, I can confirm that cash is most definitely not dead. It is not that unusual to see folks paying cash for dinners at nice restaurants, or to make small and "medium" sized purchases - say up to $1,000 or $2,000 or so. It is more common for people to pay with a credit card for these types of purchases, but unlike your description of the UK, it is definitely not true that "only the poor or those with a black market income" pay cash. In addition, for small purchases (less than $20 or so), I would say that cash is probably more common than credit. Some merchants will even impose a minimum purchase requirement (typically $5) in order to pay with anything other than cash.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:58 pm

Friendly nudge on this thread to keep it alive.

How are things looking for everyone? Any new invites roll in?

Still working on and waiting on mine.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Friendly nudge on this thread to keep it alive.

How are things looking for everyone? Any new invites roll in?

Still working on and waiting on mine.
Approaching the 400k mark and still just crickets.....
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Approaching the 400k mark and still just crickets.....
Ugh.

And what's this I've seen in this thread (or possibly elsewhere) that someone got an invite with barely $200k?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.