Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Infinite1K
FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, Terminal 3 concourses E and F, and International Terminal concourse G are connected airside to the Centurion lounge. Some other concourses are connected to each other airside, but not to the point that you can walk airside to the Centurion. However, with a PreCheck security lane right next to the entrance to the lounge, it can be quite easy to clear security twice if necessary.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: It depends. If you're arriving in the aforementioned concourses E, F, or G, then yes, but only if you have a connecting flight. If you're arriving in one of the other concourses, then security at SFO won't let you clear into E, F, or G without a boarding pass departing SFO that day. If you're arriving internationally, again, you'd need a same-day SFO departing boarding pass to clear security.

Wines by electronic pour
What have you found?
  • Add wine and date please
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014] (2013 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Would like to visit this lounge to check it out on an upcoming flight (I've spent a good amount of time in the DFW lounge, and enjoy it quite a bit). My wife and I have a 3.5 hr layover next week heading up to Seattle from LAX (yes,, the stopover is intentional...and was a good price). My question is about security, etc. We'll fly in on AA to T2 and I believe out of T1 on AS. From what I read, we should be able to go thru security at T3 with a boarding pass from AS if we say we're going to the lounge?

We both have precheck and GE, any chance we'd get this at T3? And does the airside shuttle from T3 to T1 work in this situation, or will we need to go back out and re-clear at T1 for our connecting flight? Anyone have experience how this is being treated?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
If you have GE/Pre-Check, it should be a piece of cake. I dropped my WN bag off in T1, then took the AirTrain to T3. Spent 2m clearing T3 security, in the lounge 3m later. AirTrain back to T1, 2m T1 security, at my gate 3m later. Literally spent more time transitioning terminals than I did transiting security.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:09 pm

I was really looking forward to spending 2 hours there this past Sunday night, but unfortunately my connection (onward to SYD) was cut to 40 minutes due to UA delays and a passenger projectile vomiting on board before we left the gate (resulting in plane cleaning and seat replacement), so I was only able to spend 10 minutes in the lounge, and everything about those 7-8 minutes was awesome. I was able to sample a piece of mushroom, pork, and sweet potato, and each was fantastic. During my 3-minute shower one of the lounge attendants put together a small thing with dessert and fruit that I took to go after which I booked it to the gate to be one of the last passengers to board the flight. ^^
Hopefully my return isn't filled with as many close calls and I can spend a proper amount of time in the lounge...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 2:19 pm

Noticed they were turning people away from the club today. No compensation, etc offered, just a waitlist.

Figured it would be a matter of time.

Smack in the middle of a big hub (unlike DFW which is away from the domestic fray), high income area. Lots of digitally engaged folks reading here, etc.

Hope 'cost' is added to the benefit (maybe minimum spend on the card to get access) as the clubs are really well executed.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is an extremely busy travel weekend, though. I doubt that this will be the norm.

Were they turning away plat/cent members, or people looking to pay $50? I think that Plat/Cent are supposed to have priority (so they will turn away people looking to pay when it is "almost" full, to save spots for the higher-tier cardholders). I could be wrong about that though.

They should probably add a (reduced) fee for plat members on certain weekends (ie, this one). eg, Cent is free all the time, Plat is free most of the time, and $25 on pre-selected busy times, and other cards are $50 all the time. That would probably be enough to keep from having to turn anyone away.

Another possibility would be to charge extra for guests on on those select busy weekends (except for Cents, who can continue to bring guests in for free)
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Another possibility would be to charge extra for guests on on those select busy weekends (except for Cents, who can continue to bring guests in for free)
Or limit to one guest with limited visits during the year. No complimentary families/kids.

And of course, build more lounges.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is an extremely busy travel weekend, though. I doubt that this will be the norm.

Were they turning away plat/cent members, or people looking to pay $50? I think that Plat/Cent are supposed to have priority (so they will turn away people looking to pay when it is "almost" full, to save spots for the higher-tier cardholders). I could be wrong about that though.

They should probably add a (reduced) fee for plat members on certain weekends (ie, this one). eg, Cent is free all the time, Plat is free most of the time, and $25 on pre-selected busy times, and other cards are $50 all the time. That would probably be enough to keep from having to turn anyone away.

Been through there 4 times since it opened. Every time was a fight to find seats at different days / times. And word has only started to get out. It can only get more crowded from here.

I think those fees / other ideas are worth considering.

The agent standing outside the door didn't make any distinction among members - simply said "we're full - and letting people wait to enter."
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
I'll be attempting to visit the Centurion Lounge tomorrow morning. It'll be the first time for me so I'm looking forward to it. In fact I'll be arriving at SFO slightly ahead of schedule to allow time to check it out. It would be a big disappointment if I were to get turned away.

Being SFO based, one of the reasons I've kept the Amex Platinum card another year is for Centurion Lounge access. If it turns out to be a crap shoot if entry is allowed, further incentive to reconsider my membership level with Amex :/
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Carlson/HHonors GLD, National Ex, Hertz Gld, AMEX Plat
Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014]

Anyone visited today? I'm coming in around 5, and would be going through security an extra time to visit. If they're turning people away or security is crazy, we might not bother.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I am flying to MIA on UA. Can I use the lounge moving between terminals after security?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Dark Blue
I am flying to MIA on UA. Can I use the lounge moving between terminals after security?
No you can't...you can get between terminals 1 and 2 after security, but the lounge is in T3
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, NH SFC, IHG Diamond, Radisson VIP, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chongl
No you can't...you can get between terminals 1 and 2 after security, but the lounge is in T3
Thanks! But it's shocking to me, I have to give it up on this occasion...!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 8:38 pm

Edit: nvm! Found it in the thread

I'm flying Alaska domestic, but apparently Alaska has moved to the international terminal. Am I allowed to enter the lounge in this case and get back through security again to catch my flight?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nappington
Edit: nvm! Found it in the thread

I'm flying Alaska domestic, but apparently Alaska has moved to the international terminal. Am I allowed to enter the lounge in this case and get back through security again to catch my flight?
Yes.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:02 pm

I'm currently at the Centurion Lounge right now. I have been here so many times now that the Membership Desk recognizes me upon check in, which led to a Merry Christmas and a Happy Holidays greeting.

There are about 25-30 people here on Christmas Eve. It looks like there's a flight that has been delayed many times. The Membership Desk has called the airline and the gate to verify the status of that flight and has taken it upon themselves to greet each guest on that flight with that status. Do other Centurion Lounges do this?

The Membership Desk noted that they are open on every holiday, and for future reference, Christmas Eve looks like an easy time to pop in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.