Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

When I logged into the buy-up option a few weeks ago I was offered the option to retain platinum or buy up to Chairmans for the same price (just over $800). When I log in now the price is still just over $800, but only the chairmans option appears and it now says my platinum status is good until 2/28/15.

This is a pleasant surprise if it is accurate.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
When I logged into the buy-up option a few weeks ago I was offered the option to retain platinum or buy up to Chairmans for the same price (just over $800). When I log in now the price is still just over $800, but only the chairmans option appears and it now says my platinum status is good until 2/28/15.

How completely strange...I just logged in, tried to reprint my card, and voila...2/28/2015 as well. Wonder if this is true....
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer

When I called Amex several weeks ago to discuss the loss of US status, the agent told me that we would maintain Plat status through 2/28/15. We had a very nice conversation about the loss of lift - five years ago Centurion card holders had elite status and upgrade eligibility on almost half of USA based flights. Now, we're at less than 25%. I made some suggestions, rather than complain about what we lost.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well what do you know. It isn't going away after all. At least we have another year, as just confirmed by a Welcome To Platinum Preferred email I just got. Good til Feb 28th, 2015.

So when does this program get merged with AA?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:30 pm

Arrived a few minutes ago.

Welcome to Dividend Miles Platinum Preferred
ATLANTIC BEACH
Dividend Miles #: XXXXXXX
Platinum Preferred until: February 28th, 2015
Thank you for being a loyal customer. You've earned Platinum Preferred status. We know you have choices when you fly. We appreciate that you choose to fly with us and hope you'll continue as we work to build the new American Airlines. Your new membership kit will arrive in the mail in early April.

Although we'll maintain our separate loyalty programs – Dividend Miles and AAdvantage – for some time, we're excited to offer you select benefits when traveling on American. As a Platinum Preferred member, you'll enjoy:
Unlimited complimentary upgrades to First Class on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights*
A 75% mileage bonus on all eligible US Airways, American and most partner flights
Minimum mileage guarantee for US Airways and American flights less than 500 miles in length
Complimentary checked bags when flying on US Airways and American**
Priority check-in, security and boarding when flying on US Airways and American
An annual US Airways Club membership discount
Special offers and savings on rental cars, hotels and more
oneworld® alliance Sapphire status beginning March 31, 2014
Learn more about Dividend Miles updates and Preferred member benefits.

On March 30, 2014, we’ll exit Star Alliance. You can earn and redeem miles on Star Alliance carriers until that date, and any existing reservations for travel on a codeshare flight with a Star Alliance partner are safe. You will, however, no longer earn miles or receive Star Alliance Gold benefits after March 30, 2014. We plan to join the oneworld alliance on March 31, 2014, which means you can look forward to mileage earning and redemption opportunities, elite benefits and lounge access on oneworld carriers.
Thanks again for flying with us, and we look forward to seeing you on board soon.

Sincerely,
Andrew Nocella
Andrew Nocella
Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer
American Airlines
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
oneworld® alliance Sapphire status beginning March 31, 2014
Same as AAdvantage Platinum
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Same as AAdvantage Platinum
And US CP's will get OW Emerald - Same as AA EXP. A huge benefit when traveling outside of the US. The First Class lounge for Qantas in SYD is a must visit....
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by sdix
And US CP's will get OW Emerald - Same as AA EXP. A huge benefit when traveling outside of the US. The First Class lounge for Qantas in SYD is a must visit....
As is the BA Galleries First lounge at LHR T5, which you can access even when flying economy short haul on BA or IB. As I do often with my BA Gold card. Thus this status extension doesn't matter much to me, except when I fly US and earn a few extra miles. Miles is Miles.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Well what do you know. It isn't going away after all. At least we have another year, as just confirmed by a Welcome To Platinum Preferred email I just got. Good til Feb 28th, 2015.
Same here for hubby and me. While I would still prefer they stayed part of Star Alliance, I am very happy that they've found a way to extend status.

I'm wondering if it bodes well for future extensions? Perhaps AmEx will be able to work something out with the new AA. There seemed to be so much conflicting information about whether February 2014 was really the end, it wouldn't surprise me if there was some negotiating going on behind the scenes.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:21 pm

Where is the buy up option? It maybe worth it for the international legs I will be doing this year.
I also got the 2015 updated platinum status, I thought it was an error. Nice surprise.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by platinumPizza
Where is the buy up option? It maybe worth it for the international legs I will be doing this year.
I also got the 2015 updated platinum status, I thought it was an error. Nice surprise.
Here ya go...

US Airways Buy Up Preferred
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
So we just upgraded one of the cards on our account to Centurion in order to lock in the US Air status through next year. The rep said the number would be processed immediately and it can take 5-10 business days to be confirmed in the partner systems.

Would be curious to hear any other experiences with folks who upgraded an account after those confirmation emails people received back around 2/21. I'm hoping we don't run into issues coming in after the Centurion "batches" were processed a couple weeks ago to renew status for another year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.