Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centurion US Platinum Status Going Away [Extended to 2/2015]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 2:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
...status wont expire until Feb 2015...has to do with the contract expiry dates.
I think that if American Express management had confidence in this interpretation of the contract the letter would have been written differently.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA-EXP SPG-Plat 100/LTG. HHonors-Gold
Based on recent events, expect AMEX CC based status will have a hard stop in March 2014, as "the new" AA takes over both FF pgms. At most, suppose AMEX will apply version of current Statement Credit formula to offer to some newly downgraded cardholders appeasement and place the blame on airline. Very hard to imagine scenario where new airline, already inundated with new top tier FF members and system integration challenges, has any motivation to accept a single status holder than necessary. Just based on the impending increase of top tier AA status holders once US members are integrated , upgrades will be mathematically less likely in certain markets.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
US made it clear in an email today that the end date for our status is March 30th, 2014.

In order to align with our exit from Star Alliance, we're extending your current Dividend Miles Platinum Preferred status through March 30, 2014. Rest assured your mileage balance and elite status are safe and secure, and you'll enjoy all your benefits including complimentary upgrades on US Airways flights, priority check in and priority boarding for an additional month.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
US made it clear in an email today that the end date for our status is March 30th, 2014.

In order to align with our exit from Star Alliance, we're extending your current Dividend Miles Platinum Preferred status through March 30, 2014. Rest assured your mileage balance and elite status are safe and secure, and you'll enjoy all your benefits including complimentary upgrades on US Airways flights, priority check in and priority boarding for an additional month.
While I agree you are probably correct, I didn't find it so clear. They also wrote:

If you qualify for Preferred status in 2014 by the end of this year, you'll receive a welcome email in February, and your Dividend Miles Preferred Status kit will arrive in the mail in early April.

What has not been stated is whether AmEx Centurion members will "qualify for Preferred status in 2014 by the end of this year."

It's clear from AmEx that qualifying for US Air Platinum status goes away in March 2014. But what about right now? I believe there is still a whisper of hope that we will be requalified this year for status through early 2015. I realize that's a lot of wishful thinking, but I found the language in the email to be sufficiently vague as to leave the door open.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
"If you qualify for Preferred Status in 2014" is the key. I did not qualify other than by virtue of holding a Centurion Card. It was a good deal for a number of years and hopefully AmEx can find a rabbit in their hat as a replacement benefit.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
On a previously discussed topic, US Airways Platinum status is NOT going away in March of 2014. It is being renewed through 2015, and you can still get platinum preferred status if you enroll an additional card holder before the March 22nd deadline.

This has been reconfirmed for me by multiple centurion phone reps as well as a supervisor. To further reinforce the fact, the US Airways preferred "buy up" to "Chairman's Preferred" through Feb of 2015 is in the low $800's on my account, it was $2700 in late December when I checked. The status is renewing for 2014.

The exact language the centurion reps were reading was that the status was valid through Feb of 2015, or when the merger completes...I don't see how they would not convert DM preferred accounts to AA equivalents if they manage to complete the merger in 2014. I don't see them completing the merger for another 18 months at a minimum anyway.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:14 am

On a previously discussed topic, US Airways Platinum status is NOT going away in March of 2014. It is being renewed through 2015, and you can still get platinum preferred status if you enroll an additional card holder before the March 22nd deadline.

This has been reconfirmed for me by multiple centurion phone reps as well as a supervisor. To further reinforce the fact, the US Airways preferred "buy up" to "Chairman's Preferred" through Feb of 2015 is in the low $800's on my account, it was $2700 in late December when I checked. The status is renewing for 2014.

The exact language the centurion reps were reading was that the status was valid through Feb of 2015, or when the merger completes...I don't see how they would not convert DM preferred accounts to AA equivalents if they manage to complete the merger in 2014. I don't see them completing the merger for another 18 months at a minimum anyway.
Isn't the buy-up based on miles used for the year and not your current status?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:47 am

To further reinforce the fact, the US Airways preferred "buy up" to "Chairman's Preferred" through Feb of 2015 is in the low $800's on my account, it was $2700 in late December when I checked. The status is renewing for 2014.
How can I check the offer to buy up to Chairman's on my account? When I'm logged into my account, I cannot find a link to do this.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SusanDK
How can I check the offer to buy up to Chairman's on my account?
I went through a convoluted series of links which ended here:

https://www.usairwayspreferred.com/u...nticate.action

Note that if you copy and paste your Dividend Miles number into the first field you may need to edit out the trailing space .
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:02 am

Thanks, mia. It won't allow me to go through this form because my mailing address is outside the U.S.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by SusanDK
Thanks, mia. It won't allow me to go through this form because my mailing address is outside the U.S.
Give them a call and ask about the buy up. I went through the link and judging by the buy up prices, it seems that Platinum status will remain in effect until 2105.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mia
I went through a convoluted series of links which ended here:

https://www.usairwayspreferred.com/u...nticate.action

Note that if you copy and paste your Dividend Miles number into the first field you may need to edit out the trailing space .

Thanks. I was trying to find this. For $899 I am now Chairman's until 2/28/15. Living in Pittsburgh US Air is often the only carrier I can use, so at least my pain at losing this Centurion Benefit is delayed at least 13 months.

Hopefully by then Amex will come up with something else...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:03 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC
Originally Posted by PittAir
Thanks. I was trying to find this. For $899 I am now Chairman's until 2/28/15. Living in Pittsburgh US Air is often the only carrier I can use, so at least my pain at losing this Centurion Benefit is delayed at least 13 months.

Hopefully by then Amex will come up with something else...
Living in PHX I did the exact same thing. Delay the inevitable for 13 more months and hope that they finally add a benefit.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Aside from extending status. Are the benefits of chairman over platinum worth the $900? I live in NY and rarely fly US Air.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 3:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LynchMob
Aside from extending status. Are the benefits of chairman over platinum worth the $900? I live in NY and rarely fly US Air.
If you rarely fly them, then it probably isn't worth it. Chairman gets you more bonus miles when you fly, best chance of an upgrade (but I have even missed a couple to other Chairman in the past because actually annual mileage is used as a tie breaker). The best is that they waive the fee to redeposit miles. If you book an award ticket, there is no fee to cancel or change it. They will just put the miles back in your account. There are upgrade certs to Europe, but again, if you don't fly US much that won't matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.