Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
though others have stated getting coverage from Amex on Aeroplan redemption flights, ..... (which is a wonderful customer experience offered by Amex, contrary to the terms), don't be surprised to find that Amex refuses to provide assistance.
The claim would actually be handled by RBC Insurance.

The only two Canadian personal credit cards that offer some form of travel insurance whilst travelling on a redemption ticket are the Infinite and higher level Aeroplan visas issued by TD and CIBC. The redemption is restricted to Aeroplan only.

There is no way to insure the points if one has to cancel at last minute. The points are forfeited.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
So basically I should book all my Aeroplan redemptions with my TD or CIBC Infinite Cards, in order to be covered for the travel insurances (Baggage/flight delay/cancellation etc).

If I pay in full, and then use my MR points, I could book with my Platinum and be covered.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Clipper801
The claim would actually be handled by RBC Insurance.
Heh, true dat! I got sidetracked with all the Amex-speak of late.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
So basically I should book all my Aeroplan redemptions with my TD or CIBC Infinite Cards, in order to be covered for the travel insurances (Baggage/flight delay/cancellation etc).

If I pay in full, and then use my MR points, I could book with my Platinum and be covered.
Correct.

If you do NOT have a meaningful higher status with AC Altitude, you may want to upgrade to the CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite Privilege and TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege cards. Both cards have some good travel features when flying AC at $399 annual fee.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:34 pm
Suspended

I would to clarify in regards to the Amex Personal Gold card's travel insurance (such as Flight and Baggage Delay, Lost / Stolen Baggage, etc).

Does this travel insurance cover supplementary holder on my account? Or is it only for the primary holder?

For example - 2 different family members.
Case 1: Family member A (a supplementary card holder of my account), fully charge an airline ticket to his supplementary card. Is he covered?
Case 2: Family member A (a supplementary card holder of my account), however, I (primary holder) charge the airline ticket to my primary card. Is he covered?
Case 3: Family member B (not a supplementary card holder). I charge his/her full airline ticket to my Gold (primary) card. Is he/she covered?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
I would to clarify in regards to the Amex Personal Gold card's travel insurance (such as Flight and Baggage Delay, Lost / Stolen Baggage, etc).

Does this travel insurance cover supplementary holder on my account? Or is it only for the primary holder?

Case 1: Family member A (a supplementary card holder of my account), fully charge an airline ticket to his supplementary card. Is he covered?
Case 2: Family member A (a supplementary card holder of my account), however, I (primary holder) charge the airline ticket to my primary card. Is he covered?
Case 3: Family member B (not a supplementary card holder). I charge his/her full airline ticket to my Gold (primary) card. Is he/she covered?
Is this a Canadian Amex Gold card? Insurance coverage appears to vary from country to country depending on where the card is issued.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Is this a Canadian Amex Gold card? Insurance coverage appears to vary from country to country depending on where the card is issued.
I'm posting in the "Amex Canada...." thread + Canucks being Vancouver's hockey team, so yes.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:26 pm

This cannot be a reward ticket, e.g., Aeroplan, Asia Miles or Air Mile redemption ticket even if all the taxes, charges, etc. are charged to the Card.

Trip paid with Amex MR in whole or in part with the balance charged to the card is covered. Amex MR --> Aeroplan --> air ticket: No.

An Insured person is defined as someone under the age of 65, who have a valid government health insurance plan: the cardmember, the supplementary cardmembers, the cardmember's spouse, the supplementary cardmember's spouse, the cardmember's dependent child or the supplementary cardmember's dependent child.

The card must be in good standing.

So it really depends on the age, resident status (eligibility to provincial health care insurance) and relationship of the family member to the principal or supplementary cardholders.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott

All the 3 above are covered.

All family members, no mater they are supplementary card holders or not are covered as long as the flight tickets are 100% charged to the primary or supplementary cards.

Family members are defined as spouse or children of the primary cardholder.

Last edited by Cana2013; May 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
All the 3 above are covered.
No, not necessarily. Read the Policy "fine print".
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:11 am

Assuming that you're referring to a Canadian Amex Plat card.One is covered for Medical but nothing else if one is travelling on a redemption ticket other than Amex MR even if the sundry charges (e.g. fuel surcharge, taxes, etc.) are paid with the Canadian Amex Plat card.
I just returned from a trip where a medical emergency occurred. I have several Amex cards and several Visa and MC cc's that provide Out-Of-Provice travel medical insurance. If I meet the conditions for all insurers which card's medical coverage benefit do I apply for? Any ideas as to which entities deal with these claims the best and expediently. I had no time to call any centers before the payment was made and would still seek treatment regardless of instructions or a denial of coverage. Do I put a claim to more than one in case all costs are not covered by some and if a claim is approved by more than one entity, will return the funds in excess of total. Or keep the highest approval.

Any suggestions will be welcomed and personal experiences would be nice as well.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I just returned from a trip where a medical emergency occurred. I have several Amex cards and several Visa and MC cc's that provide Out-Of-Provice travel medical insurance. If I meet the conditions for all insurers which card's medical coverage benefit do I apply for? Any ideas as to which entities deal with these claims the best and expediently. I had no time to call any centers before the payment was made and would still seek treatment regardless of instructions or a denial of coverage. Do I put a claim to more than one in case all costs are not covered by some and if a claim is approved by more than one entity, will return the funds in excess of total. Or keep the highest approval.

Any suggestions will be welcomed and personal experiences would be nice as well.
With Canadian Amex Plat, you are supposed to call BEFORE you seek medical treatment or at least, call as soon as practical when your medical condition permits you to call if you are not able to do so before you received medical treatment. If you do not call, or the medical treatment is at a non-approved facility, the insurer may decline your claim or only pays 80% of the claim if they choose to accept your claim. It's at the insurer's discretion once you failed to follow the required protocol. It's all in the Policy that comes with the card. You are running a great risk of having your claim declined or reduced to 80% by not calling Assured Assistance as soon as practical. Those are the rules but it does not mean that you will not get full reimbursement. Just to be aware of them, that's all. So you know if the isurer plays by the book to reject your claim or takes a middle ground approach to only reimburse 80%. They can also be nice to pay your claim in full notwithstanding the non compliance of the rules.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:13 am
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Do I put a claim to more than one in case all costs are not covered by some and if a claim is approved by more than one entity, will return the funds in excess of total. Or keep the highest approval.
CIBC AeroGold Infinite:

"If another insurer insures You as well, We will co-ordinate with them to make sure the payments do not exceed the expenses You have incurred."

AMEX Platinum

"Any of our policies are excess insurance and are the last payors. All other sources of recovery, indemnity payments or insurance coverage must be exhausted before any payments will be made under any of our policies."
Old May 20, 2015, 11:39 am

A few questions:

1. If I book a flight for myself and a friend (non relative), does my friend have any coverage at all? (medical, baggage, delay, etc...)

2. If my friend booked the main flight to Europe (e.g. YOW to Paris), but I booked the smaller flights from Paris to London, London to Madrid, etc

Am I still covered for all the insurances?
Old May 20, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by techcrium
A few questions:

1. If I book a flight for myself and a friend (non relative), does my friend have any coverage at all? (medical, baggage, delay, etc...)

2. If my friend booked the main flight to Europe (e.g. YOW to Paris), but I booked the smaller flights from Paris to London, London to Madrid, etc

Am I still covered for all the insurances?
Medical has nothing to do with flights or purchases of tickets. On the other hand, the coverage related to travel issues ( delays, baggage ) depends on the necessary purchase of travel with the card. I would assume medical is not covered with your card but all other coverage is if you use your card for your friend's tickets. The friend can be covered with his/hers own card for medical emergencies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.