Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions [Consolidated]

Amex Canada: Travel insurance questions [Consolidated]

Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Hmmm, this is pretty terrible for a $699 annual fee.

I have a bunch of traveling I want to do next year, and wanted to put every travel purchase on my Platinum Card, including Aeroplan ticket/taxes.

Now I need to figure out which cards to use for different scenarios...

Basically if I purchase a ticket on the Amex Platinum and apply MR points to it, I am fully covered.

Then use The TD Aeroplan card to book my Aeroplan tickets to be fully covered..

Sound about right?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AC E50K
Flight Cancelled - Does Amex Canada Travel Insurance Cover Me?

Hi,

I have a flight later today which was just cancelled and I called and got rebooked on a later flight leaving 4 hours later. I was originally supposed to have a connection, but got put on a non-stop flight so I only get back into Montreal 1.5 hours later. So does anyone know if I am covered by Amex Gold Travel Insurance? I'm not sure if their 4 hour requirement covers departure time or arrival time.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are on your way back home anyway, what sort of extra expenses could you justify?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I managed to get a $7 voucher out of UA in a similar situation because it meant instead of spending time in a United Club in an airport where my connection was, I had to sit around in an airport with no *A lounge waiting for my non-stop.

It never even occurred to me to look at my travel insurance benefits with my credit card (and they'd already paid for a hotel that trip), but I doubt they'd do much, because you're only delayed 90 minutes.

Anyway, I suggest you read your actual policy, as depending on the province in which you received your card, the benefits could differ.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:46 am

I just called them, and even though my actual delay for returning home is 1.5 hours. Since my 1st flight is delayed by 4 hours (exactly!!) I am covered.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:54 am

Btw does anyone know what a reasonable cost (by Amex standards) for supper is.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Eternity000
I just called them, and even though my actual delay for returning home is 1.5 hours. Since my 1st flight is delayed by 4 hours (exactly!!) I am covered.
Yes, my experience too. You can have whatever you want. No such thing as unreasonable, as long as you're under the limit.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Eternity000
Btw does anyone know what a reasonable cost (by Amex standards) for supper is.
As long as youre under the limit, you d most likely be fine, though personally I prefer to not eat/drink more than anyone "reasonable" would do, e.g. max. 1 appetizer, 1 main course, 1 dessert and a few drinks. I also prefer to not eat/drink so much that one may think I was picking up the tab for other people.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:10 pm

Excellent, wasn't planning on going crazy anyhow. Will keep it sub $100 (I'm in DC now, so not too tough to reach that here.

Thanks for the help
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
You're really going to submit a claim for a 1.5 hour delay?

Seriously?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Symmetre
You're really going to submit a claim for a 1.5 hour delay?

Seriously?
Why should he cut a corporation any slack? He's playing it strictly by the rules and he pays for the insurance - might as well enjoy it. When was the last time a credit card or an airline cut you any slack?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:08 pm

Sounds like the OP is just looking to get dinner, not go on a spending spree
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Go enjoy a nice dinner! I was stuck in NYC a few years ago when a summer storm caused chaos. Went back to Grand Central and had a nice Arctic Char dinner at The Oyster Bar.

Had the AeroPlat AMEX (still do).
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is an AMEX rather than an airline or FFP question I've relocated it from the Air Canada forum.

tcook052
Air Canada Forum Moderator
Old Apr 12, 2014, 10:40 am

When does Amex Canada consider a "missed connection" as part of it's travel insurance

I've used my Canadian Amex Platinum travel delay insurance benefits a few times, but it was always when a flight was cancelled for whatever reason.

How do the benefits apply, let's say, when you miss a connection. There are a few reasons you could miss a connection, incoming flight was delayed, or airport was much busier than usual and you couldn't make it to your next flight in time.

I'm asking because I have a 0:55h international connection coming up in Frankfurt.

If the connection is missed, does anyone know the criteria Amex will use to determine my $1000 benefit expense claim?

If my first flight is delayed, I think it's a no brainer. However, if I arrive at the airport, and certain criteria come into play that are not the fault of any one airline. Let's say the airport is overly crowded and the customs line is backed up much longer than it should be and I miss the flight. Or, I walk at my regular pace, and miss the flight - but I could have made it if I had ran for it.

Has anyone had any experience here with this type of scenario.

My Amex is a (Canadian) Platinum Amex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.