Help me use 200K Amex Points to fly my sister over!

Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Question Help me use 200K Amex Points to fly my sister over!

I would like to fly my sister from YUL/YYZ to DXB for the holidays.

There are a number of airline partners that could work, either directly (AF, KL, BA, VS, DL...) or via the alliances.

The complication is that the ticket would be for my sister (same last name) rather than myself, so it would have to be done by either transferring points to her FF account or issuing tickets in her name from my FF account.

One option I'm not that excited about is using Points as Cash (on amex travel, for example). Conversion rate too poor in my experience.

Any personal experience or strategies would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:03 am
alc

Originally Posted by extramileage
The complication is that the ticket would be for my sister (same last name) rather than myself, so it would have to be done by either transferring points to her FF account or issuing tickets in her name from my FF account.
I think you already answer your own question on how to use your AMEX MR for a ticket for your sister. Assuming your are Cdn having a Cdn AMEX MR, you do not have much choices from the above options... as "officially" you can only transfer to your own FF account.

I think you need to find out which program can get you the ticket that you need for the dates and how much Surcharge it will be. I heard BA Avois also has high surcharge, so even with a lower transfer ratio to one of the SkyTeam member (Alitalia’s or Delta SkyMiles), you might still end up save money by not need to pay a high surchage.

BA web site let you look up reward ticket with 0 miles in the account, so you can play with the dates and flight options. Not sure about Alitalia’s or Delta SkyMiles web site.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I would like to fly my sister from YUL/YYZ to DXB for the holidays.

There are a number of airline partners that could work, either directly (AF, KL, BA, VS, DL...) or via the alliances.

One option I'm not that excited about is using Points as Cash (on amex travel, for example). Conversion rate too poor in my experience.

Any personal experience or strategies would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
In which country was your Amex card issued? Is ANA a transfer partner?

For most FFPs, redeeming miles for an award in someone else's name is not a "complication": most programs explicitly permit this.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Transfering to Aeroplan should be the best for your case. You can just transfer the MR points to your Aeroplan account and use your miles to book flight for your sister.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone.

Not sure if this news here... but you can now transfer Amex points to Emirates Skywards.

Great news for me.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:35 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

Not sure if this news here... but you can now transfer Amex points to Emirates Skywards.

Great news for me.
That is for USA AMEX MR, so now we can safely say you're USA-based (which you never provided before asking help)

and very very very bad ratio

read more at this blog
American Express Adds Emirates as a New Points Transfer Partner - View from the Wing - View from the Wing
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...nsfer-partner/
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:36 pm

If you are in the US then UA is better. Very low tax and fees for long haul.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Cana2013
If you are in the US then UA is better. Very low tax and fees for long haul.
UA is not an Amex MR transfer partner in the U.S. But ANA is.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

Sorry, did not know that. Then Aeroplan is still a good chioce because you can use Aeroplan miles book UA flights and availability is very good.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, did not know that. Then Aeroplan is still a good chioce because you can use Aeroplan miles book UA flights and availability is very good.
But Aeroplan will charge 80,000 miles for YYZ/YUL-IAD-DXB-IAD-YYZ/YUL in Economy. ANA would only charge 65,000 miles for the same redemption.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:07 pm

But Aeroplan will charge 80,000 miles for YYZ/YUL-IAD-DXB-IAD-YYZ/YUL in Economy. ANA would only charge 65,000 miles for the same redemption.
Then you're risking availability and having to verify familial relationship.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:10 am
alc

If I read all the 2-letters code correctly, non of them are *A carriers. So, not sure if OP has any interest in these idea about Aeroplan or ANA.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
That is for USA AMEX MR, so now we can safely say you're USA-based (which you never provided before asking help)

and very very very bad ratio

read more at this blog
American Express Adds Emirates as a New Points Transfer Partner - View from the Wing - View from the Wing
http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...nsfer-partner/
Apologies for not mentioning card country - forgot how AMEX's programs and benefits vary so much from one jurisdiction to the other.

I have a US card but currently Dubai based and EK is my main carrier. It's convenient for me to use miles on EK (mostly for upgrades). Fees/taxes were historically low on EK awards but they are joining than train now too, unfortunately.

One nice thing about EK, however, is that both award tickets and mileage upgrades are eligible for op ups so you can get some nice surprises if you have status.

Thanks for the other tips as well.

Last edited by extramileage; Oct 31, 2013 at 1:39 am Reason: typo
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much is the YQ on Aeroplan redemption?

How much is the YQ on ANA redemption?

My understanding is, both programs charge YQ. Aeroplan also has yet another major devaluation earlier this year.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alc
If I read all the 2-letters code correctly, non of them are *A carriers. So, not sure if OP has any interest in these idea about Aeroplan or ANA.
Both AC (Aeroplan) and NH (ANA) are members of Star Alliance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.