Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for a targeted offer meant for another person [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:14 pm

can you use other people's target offer?

My roommate got a bule sky target offer, spend $500 for 30,000 points, worth 400 dollars. I think this is pretty good offer. i try to use to code online.

What if i get approved instantly, do I still qualify for the bonus? since the target offer is not under my name.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 12:09 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16-5) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

i have tried twice with other peoples offers. doesn't work. it still thinks you are the person targeted and then it wants tax statement and such to prove who you are.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: BA, AA, United
I have an offer for business platinum card (100K points) with a RSVP code. This offer is addressed to "Dear Business Owner". And the application form attached to the mailer doesn't have business name.

Can this be used by any business?

I have a similar offer for BRG (75K bonus) as well.

Originally Posted by antonius66
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; DROID RAZR Build/9.8.2O-72_VZW-16-5) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

i have tried twice with other peoples offers. doesn't work. it still thinks you are the person targeted and then it wants tax statement and such to prove who you are.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:50 pm

Got a BGR offer in the mail addressed to my company. I am not an owner or manager in the company. Any chance it would work for me? What risks am I running into? I'd hate to lose a job over 50k MR
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:54 pm

Can I use my bro's targeted 100k Platinum Offer?

I don't know how but my bro has now gotten 2 100k targeted platinum offers. The first one expired before I saw it but he just got another one that's good for a couple more months. He doesn't want it so I want to know if/how I can use it.

I went to the website and entered the rsvp code and didn't see any personal information of his. There was a spot for me to enter my name, ss, etc. Will this work?

I could also try and call in but not sure if they'll see/care that my name is different from what's on the offer.

I guess I just want to make sure that I don't go and apply for this card and then find out that I don't get the 100k bonus pts because the original offer wasn't in my name. Any advice?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta, SPG, United
Rambo -- I've been dying for an offer like that. Can I test it out?

Wholeinone -- There's no harm in trying. If you don't want to, I'm glad to try!

Rob
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
I don't know how but my bro has now gotten 2 100k targeted platinum offers. The first one expired before I saw it but he just got another one that's good for a couple more months. He doesn't want it so I want to know if/how I can use it.

I went to the website and entered the rsvp code and didn't see any personal information of his. There was a spot for me to enter my name, ss, etc. Will this work?

I could also try and call in but not sure if they'll see/care that my name is different from what's on the offer.

I guess I just want to make sure that I don't go and apply for this card and then find out that I don't get the 100k bonus pts because the original offer wasn't in my name. Any advice?
Tried doing this awhile back. My brother's cat (!!!) had received a 100k Amex Plat offer. Obviously the cat isn't going to be applying for a card any time soon, so I tried to use the offer. Didn't work. At all. Application said it was pending further information. I took a couple days following up on it and American Express' fraud department kept calling me and leaving vaguely threatening messages.

Eventually called in and was repeatedly told they wanted to speak with "Eleanor," and when I explained there was no "Eleanor" at the residence, they said the offer was only for "Eleanor" (again -- a cat!) and that I could not apply for it, and they would be canceling my application. This despite using all my personal information on the online application.

I wouldn't bother applying -- not worth the credit pull.

PS. I wondered for a while how my brother's cat could have gotten on American Express' radar. And the only thing I can come up with is that my brother added her as an authorized user on a United card some years ago for the AU bonus. Not sure I like that Chase shared "her" information with, well, anyone. Let alone another bank!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by rcecot
Rambo -- I've been dying for an offer like that. Can I test it out?

Wholeinone -- There's no harm in trying. If you don't want to, I'm glad to try!

Rob
Well if there's a credit pull that is one negative.

I think I'm going to call in and try to tell them that my bro's first name is my 'nickname' or something like that and see if they'll let me apply using the invite code.
Old May 19, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: SW A-List and HH Diamond
Targeted 50K Amex Gold Bonus

My wife recently received a targeted mailing for 50,000 MR points after spending $1,000 in the first three months on a new AmEx Gold. She doesn't currently have any AmEx cards, but I have the AmEx Plat.

My question is, if I signed up and used her RSVP code could I link that to my MR account? Wasn't sure if the bonus points would post if the account is in my name, and not hers.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
AmEx PRG targeted offer – different first name

Today I received AmEx PRG targeted offer – 50K after 1K spend in 3 months. The offer came in a mail and I was about to jump on it when I noticed that the first name is different and doesn’t match with anyone in our household. When entering RSVP code online it brings up application with pre-filled first and last names that cannot be changed.

Has anyone tried using targeted offer when first names don’t match and what was the outcome?

Last edited by Kpoxa; May 21, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by cks30
My wife recently received a targeted mailing for 50,000 MR points after spending $1,000 in the first three months on a new AmEx Gold. She doesn't currently have any AmEx cards, but I have the AmEx Plat.

My question is, if I signed up and used her RSVP code could I link that to my MR account? Wasn't sure if the bonus points would post if the account is in my name, and not hers.
I wouldn't try to be dishonest about it. Simply sign her up for her offer, and after meeting the minimum spending, transfer the points from her MR account to yours.

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Today I received AmEx PRG targeted offer – 50K after 1K spend in 3 months. The offer came in a mail and I was about to jump on it when I noticed that the first name is different and doesn’t match with anyone in our household. When entering RSVP code online it brings up application with pre-filled first and last names that cannot be changed.

Has anyone tried using targeted offer when first names don’t match and what was the outcome?
Obviously, you cannot use the offer as is. Try calling in and explaining that they misspelled the first name. Plenty of excuses you can use: tell them it is your middle name, or simply a nickname, but you want your legal name on the card. That isn't so rare: Years ago I dated someone who always used a nickname, and the bank always cashed the checks.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jn in ca
... transfer the points from her MR account to yours.
For cards issued in the USA there is no option to transfer points from one Membership Rewards account to another. However, the points can be transferred to another person's frequent flyer account.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ds-points.html
Old May 25, 2014, 4:36 pm

Can I use my partner's targeted Business Plat offer?

My partner just received a targeted 100k business plat offer in the mail and I'm wondering if I can use the referral code for myself?

She's trying to rebuild her credit at the moment so we don't want to apply in her name. She has a dormant business that's registered to our shared address but there's not a tax ID or business bank account for any type of verification.

My only Amex is a personal SPG. Is this possible or are they really strict about the target matching the applicant?
Old May 25, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Short answer. No.
Old May 25, 2014, 6:28 pm

Alright. Any idea how to opt-in to prescreened Amex offers? I did the prescreen opt-out when it first came out but reversed it 3-4 years ago but the only offers I ever get are discover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.