Wiki Posts
Search

Membership Rewards vs Ultimate Rewards

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Membership Rewards vs Ultimate Rewards

Can anyone tell me why American Express charges a .0006 "Federal Excise" tax on transfers of points into a US airlines milage account? However, if you transfer Ultimate Rewards points into a US airline the Federal tax is not collected.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Rest assured that the federal tax is collected by the federal government from the credit-card issuer in both cases. Amex chooses to offset that cost by charging a fee (equal to the tax) to the cardholder; Chase does not.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
Can anyone tell me why American Express charges a .0006 "Federal Excise" tax on transfers of points into a US airlines milage account? However, if you transfer Ultimate Rewards points into a US airline the Federal tax is not collected.
About that - I have transferred MR points to BA, agreed to the fee and never seen it charged. It doesn't amount to much but I'm curious as to why I wasn't charged, or if this is common.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The federal excise tax only applies to transfers to U.S. carriers; transfers to foreign carriers -- like BA -- are exempt from the tax, so there was nothing for Amex to recoup.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by guv1976

The federal excise tax only applies to transfers to U.S. carriers; transfers to foreign carriers -- like BA -- are exempt from the tax, so there was nothing for Amex to recoup.
Thanks, that makes some sense. AMEX does warn you that there will be a charge for BA transfers, but I guess that's just standard wording.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 2:51 am

Is it better to pay the excise tax with points or with money?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.