Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old May 7, 13, 9:00 am   #1

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS, HH Silver, SPG, various others with negligible balances
History of conversion bonuses for MR->BA and MR->VS (UK based Amex Gold)

Hi,

Quite new to FT and just earning my Amex Gold sign-up bonus, so apologies if this has been discussed ad nauseam.

I have a use for these MR points in both my BAEC and VS FF account, with VS probably needing them slightly more so would take priority in the absence of any conversion bonuses.

I plan to cancel the card before renewal (when the annual fee kicks in). Obviously, if a conversion comes up and I choose to leave it then I risk another one not taking place until after I need to ditch the card. I'm basically trying to work out if a BA bonus comes first should I take it or risk waiting to get a VS bonus and it not coming before I close the account.

From past experience, how often do conversion bonuses come along? Do they ever come along together or always separately (eg never more than one FF at once)? Do certain FF schemes always have better bonuses than others? Do FF schemes (particularly BA and VS) usually seem to offer the same bonus amount for all of their bonuses or does it tend to vary? Finally, do Hilton H Honors ever offer conversion bonuses for Amex MR points?

Thanks for any insight...
ankomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 13, 1:29 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Never seen any hotel bonus.

Recently there has been a bonus promo every 9 months or so, I guess. However, the last few have been targetted. You MUST be opted in to email and snail mail junk from Amex to be in with a chance.

Others suggest that doing a 1000 point conversion to BA signals that you would be interested in converting and thus more likely to be targetted. I have no opinion on this!

Rates vary, last one actually differed to different people, 20 to 30 per cent I think. Once was 100 per cent, once 40 per cent. Jumps around.

Bonuses tend to come together as Amex sends out one mailshot with them all in. Last one was BA, Virgin, Etithad and Alitalia I think. Bonus rate tends to be very similar amongst all participating programmes.
Old May 7, 13, 8:37 pm   #3

TPG had a post on this:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/a-br...-2010-present/
maulermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 13, 11:25 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulermark View Post
... although US bonuses are FAR more common than UK bonuses.
Old May 8, 13, 2:20 am   #5

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS, HH Silver, SPG, various others with negligible balances
Thanks both - very useful.

I've set myself up to receive junk mail by e-mail and post, so now need to sit tight and pray to Amexos, the Greek God of loyalty bonuses.
ankomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote