Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
The best place learn about redeeming Avios points is in Flytalk's BAEC forum. The source of your Avios points does not change the redemption process. Start with this thread:

Your guide to spending Avios [Beta]
Print Wikipost

AmEX [USA] Transfer Bonus is back! 35% to British Airways through 6.7.2013

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by unknown786
Based on previous years, is this usually replicated for UK cardholders? (apologies - new to Amex rewards!)
Any ideas?
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by unknown786
Any ideas?
Each market has its own Membership Rewards program with separate partners, transfer ratio, and promotional schedule. A USA bonus for transfers to BA tell us nothing about a bonus in the UK. BA promotes more often in the USA than in the UK, likely because of it's high market share at home.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:57 am

Just xfer'd 50k in MR to BA ... now unsure about the other 50k due to a possible 50% promo coming back, otherwise will do another transaction and xfer the remaining 50k to BA before June 7th and not risk taking a chance in case this promo doesn't come back for the year.

Not so happy about booking a ticket with a connection into separate individual segments and having separate record locators, but heck 35% is 35%!

decisions, decisions ....
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by sp1viper
Just xfer'd 50k in MR to BA ... now unsure about the other 50k due to a possible 50% promo coming back, otherwise will do another transaction and xfer the remaining 50k to BA before June 7th and not risk taking a chance in case this promo doesn't come back for the year.

Not so happy about booking a ticket with a connection into separate individual segments and having separate record locators, but heck 35% is 35%!

decisions, decisions ....
If the availability is there when you search each leg, call and book over the phone. They should be able to get it on to one ticket for you. Otherwise, if something goes wrong along the way, the rule is that they only are responsible to get you to your ticketed destination. That can get hairy with your baggage, a missed connection, etc. I don't think I'd be willing to risk an international itinerary booked as each segment on its own PNR.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
If the availability is there when you search each leg, call and book over the phone. They should be able to get it on to one ticket for you. Otherwise, if something goes wrong along the way, the rule is that they only are responsible to get you to your ticketed destination. That can get hairy with your baggage, a missed connection, etc. I don't think I'd be willing to risk an international itinerary booked as each segment on its own PNR.
Thanks for the response! I will surely do that, its just a pain getting a US BA agent and then trying to get them to waive fees for booking over the phone ... but yes, a lot better than having an issue when each segment is separate and something goes wrong ....
Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
like clockwork, I transferred 45k three days back and said the new bonus would start this week. just my luck.

good news is that I got tix for family of 5 from Miami to Grand Cayman for 45k avios that would have costs 150k AA miles.

any hope of getting the bonus applied retro 3 days?
Call Amex and ask nicely. No harm in trying.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
To those with large balances of Membership Rewards looking to plow into BA Avios, be careful.

I transferred about 3,000,000 Amex MR Points, resulting in over 4,000,000 Avios. Most were transferred in 2011 with 40% and 50% bonus offers. I promptly began giving First and Business flights to family and friends, which resulted in a BA audit for "too many 3rd-party bookings". My entire balance of Avios was confiscated. After much hassle and several months, I was able to get my Avios re-instated. I truly believe I was lucky to get the Avios back. I know book Avios flights primarily for myself and relatives with the same last name as mine.

The moral here: You can be generous, just don't be TOO generous!
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TravelStar
To those with large balances of Membership Rewards looking to plow into BA Avios, be careful.

I transferred about 3,000,000 Amex MR Points, resulting in over 4,000,000 Avios. Most were transferred in 2011 with 40% and 50% bonus offers. I promptly began giving First and Business flights to family and friends, which resulted in a BA audit for "too many 3rd-party bookings". My entire balance of Avios was confiscated. After much hassle and several months, I was able to get my Avios re-instated. I truly believe I was lucky to get the Avios back. I know book Avios flights primarily for myself and relatives with the same last name as mine.

The moral here: You can be generous, just don't be TOO generous!
Outrageous, thanks for sharing and glad you were able to get the Avios back.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:11 pm

On a whim I google searched "AMEX BA POINTS TRANSFER BONUS" today because I´ve been checking the rewards page religiously for the last four months hoping for a offer. Very glad flyertalk is on top of it. I wish I would get email notifications about this. How did the OP find out? I check on the "rewards: travel page" every day but only saw the graphic for "1,000 pts transfer" -- for the last offer they had a giant advert for the 30% bonus without having to click through to the BA transfer page. I would have missed this round if it weren´t for flyertalk. I was hoping for a 50% but don´t know the timing of that type of offer. Would keep holding out but I´ve got September travel I´ve got to book and the limited F on BA books quickly. Is there a dedicated page for up to date USA AMEX>BA transfer bonus offers? I need a subscription to something like that...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 500dor
On a whim I google searched "AMEX BA POINTS TRANSFER BONUS" today because I´ve been checking the rewards page religiously for the last four months hoping for a offer. Very glad flyertalk is on top of it. I wish I would get email notifications about this. How did the OP find out? I check on the "rewards: travel page" every day but only saw the graphic for "1,000 pts transfer" -- for the last offer they had a giant advert for the 30% bonus without having to click through to the BA transfer page. I would have missed this round if it weren´t for flyertalk. I was hoping for a 50% but don´t know the timing of that type of offer. Would keep holding out but I´ve got September travel I´ve got to book and the limited F on BA books quickly. Is there a dedicated page for up to date USA AMEX>BA transfer bonus offers? I need a subscription to something like that...
If you check this FT thread everyday then you'll know

What you can do is subscribe with email notifications and then you'll get an email whenever the thread has activity which is likely after a bonus has been announced.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 500dor
I check on the "rewards: travel page" every day but
Not the best page. Look here and notice the Special Offer chevron above British Airways:

http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...readcrumb=true

Originally Posted by businessmachine
If you check this FT thread everyday
Subscribing to this thread won't accomplish much, because it will die when the offer ends and a new thread will be started when the next offer appears.

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2013 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
like clockwork, I transferred 45k three days back and said the new bonus would start this week. just my luck.

good news is that I got tix for family of 5 from Miami to Grand Cayman for 45k avios that would have costs 150k AA miles.

any hope of getting the bonus applied retro 3 days?
Keep us posted. I transferred 130k last week.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by manewmannn
Hi all -

I am pretty new to this. I have 82,000 amex points with no immediate plans to use them. I have considered getting $800 worth of giftcards to restoration hardware to go to some stuff for my new place. I know this is not great value for the points (although something I am in need right now, which is why I'm considering). I would love to go to Europe but don't think I will have time within the next year due to work. I do a lot of trips from Dallas to St. Louis and vice versa. That is primarily where I fly. I usually spend a week in an SPG eligible hotel. Basically, I have no idea what to do with these things. I don't know if this 35% bonus for British Avios will do me much good as far as where I fly. Just hoping for suggestions!!!!

Cheers,
Matt
Any interest in Ireland?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by jmw2323
no timeline and no guarantee there will ever be a bonus again. I don't recall there being an AC bonus recently for USA based Amex

got it

Thanks =)
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aerosfire
Keep us posted. I transferred 130k last week.
tried twice..no luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.