Denied 50K welcome Bonus

Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Denied 50K welcome Bonus

Can someone please tell me what to do in this case? I've had personal Platinum since 07/27/2012 & I was denied a welcome bonus on a personal
Premier Rewards Gold Card. I hit the twitter team & this is the response I got from them.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, it appears that your account is not eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points due to your account previously receiving bonus points on 07/27/2012 on a similar product. Per the terms of the offer it states if applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer ZYNC, Green or Gold Card or Platinum Card account within the last 90 days. Welcome bonus offers will not available . Please refer to the offer and review the terms.

I wish that I was able to extend the promotion to you, but because the Terms and Conditions clearly state this and you currently have one of the cards that falls into that category, I am unable to extend the promotion to you.

If you have additional questions pertaining to your Membership Rewards account please contact them directly at 1-800-297-3276.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Well - Are they wrong about the t&c? Presumably OP read those before signing up for a CC.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:06 am
Suspended

Not much you can do except for calling in any trying or your luck or sending them a secure message. If you had cancelled the plat 90 days before applying you would be entitled to the points on the PRG.

Originally Posted by Tee Man
Can someone please tell me what to do in this case? I've had personal Platinum since 07/27/2012 & I was denied a welcome bonus on a personal
Premier Rewards Gold Card. I hit the twitter team & this is the response I got from them.

Last edited by mia; Apr 11, 2013 at 9:08 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread transferred to American Express Membership Rewards forum.

The terms of recent American Express Gold and Platinum card offers do explicitly exclude current personal charge card holders from receiving a new account balance.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Good to know. Amex only looks back 12 months?
Better than Citi and Chase
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:12 am
Original Poster

I did not cancell & how come people are getting welcome bonus on Platinum Mercedes while carrying a personal Platinum card within a 12 month time? This baffles me

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/my-5...platinum-card/
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:14 am
mia

...how come people are getting welcome bonus on Platinum Mercedes while carrying a personal Platinum card within a 12 month time?
The Mercedes offer does not contain the same restriction as the Preferred Rewards Gold offer. Different products, different contractual arrangements (between American Express and Mercedes), different terms.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:25 am
Suspended

I did not cancell & how come people are getting welcome bonus on Platinum Mercedes while carrying a personal Platinum card within a 12 month time? This baffles me

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/04/my-5...platinum-card/
OP - Back to basics. What do the t&c of the offer you accepted say. "Why" some other offer includes different terms is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the t&c of what you chose.

Please let us know the answer.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have had this product within the last 12 months or any other Consumer ZYNC®, Green or Gold Card or Platinum Card® account within the last 90 days.
It says within the last 90 days for the Platinum card & i've had my Platinum for over 90 days, do i not qualify for this?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:48 am
Suspended

It says within the last 90 days for the Platinum card & i've had my Platinum for over 90 days, do i not qualify for this?
No, it doesn't say what you say it does. It says that if you have had "this" product within the past 12 months or any one of the other products within the past 90 days, you are SOL.

You are SOL on at least one if not both counts.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:53 am
mia

...i've had my Platinum for over 90 days, do i not qualify for this?
The obstacle is that you still "have" the Platinum Card. The terms do not refer to how recently you applied, but rather to how recently you have held the card. If you had closed the Platinum Card account 91+ days before applying for Premier Rewards Gold you would have qualified for the bonus.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:07 am
Original Poster

ok this make sense now i appreciate for your help.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:56 pm

Ok this happened to me in 2012 when I applied for the Platinum for 50k bonus.

I tried everything - called, called, and called. I got transferred from department to department, got supervisors on the phone. They told me in the end, NO NO NO.

So I got on Twitter and tweeted to Amex. Their Social Media person tweeted me back and told me to send an email via the link she provided (made me log into Amex then send secure message). I mentioned her name in the message as well.

Within 20 minutes, I got a reply from the person. She credited my 50k points instantly and apologized.

SO USE TWITTER GUYS!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by standingoten
SO USE TWITTER GUYS!
What is a Twitter?

Jokes. But seriously, OP, don't give up yet. Hit them up in all ways, and explain in complete honesty your confusion on the T&C. Give them a good reason as to why you need and will value both cards. Be honest, but don't be forceful.

Listen, some folks on here may roll their eyes and brush you off with their blunt responses, but the blogs and forums are overflowing with folks who overlooked or were confused by the T&Cs. It happens. And, if anything else this was a learning experience.

You could, say, cancel the PRG, sign-up for the 50K bonus MB Platinum and, once approved, cancel your current plat for a prorated refund of the AF. There's 50k MRP in your pocket, and you can hit up a gold card offer 366 days from your cancellation if you still want (assuming the T&Cs hadn't become more strict by then). Hell, you could even hit up the next big Plat offer 1yr after cancellation and cancel your MB Plat. This really isn't heavy churning. Just some ideas.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.