Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Just called to book a 1 nite NYNY las vegas suite... NYNY website $225.00
AMEX travel center $460.00. guess they are covering their ... on the $200 credit.
Any way to get it through amex for $225 ?
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:03 pm

$200 is usually only useful on published fares (flight or hotel)
I used my 2012 credit on YYZ-SFO flight on AC, same price both places
and I wonder what I have to find to use it for 2013 $200 credit

In your case, just don't use AMEX for the hotel

But they should just make it $200 credit on ANY TRAVEL, not just via AMEX PTS
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:55 am

I'm waiting to see if anyone can post some positive experience about that $200 credit (fingers crossed!) as I'm trying to figure out how to use it efficiently.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
I used it successfully for a hotel stay in the UK - they could not find it in their system at AX so had to call the hotel directly and book it that way - getting the rate I expected. Try telling AX PTS to contact the hotel directly - not sure there is a rule they have to use their system?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:21 am

Used it for a cheap Air Canada flight. Got the same price as that displayed on aircanada website.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:32 am

A lot of hotels in Vegas heavily discount their rooms via their web site via various promotions and the like. It's very possible that PTS can't see the rate you're seeing in their systems.

I used the $200 travel credit last year for flights on American, booked at the same rate that was showing on the web site. Also booked an FHR room at the same time (at roughly the same rate as showing on the web site), which ended up being under a "stay 3 nights, get the third night free" promo for FHR... so I stayed 6 nights for the price of 4, and got all the other FHR amenities (room upgrade, $100 dining credit, free breakfast).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Incorrect. The credit in Canada is only for bookings through PTS.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ
Used it for a cheap Air Canada flight. Got the same price as that displayed on aircanada website.
Me too, booked a cheap one way yow-yyz-phx last year through PTS at the same price as I was getting on Air Canada site and received a $200.00 credit from AMEX^
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Altitude 35K, Nexus/GE, Amex Platinum, Priority Pass, CX Marco Polo Gold, Visa Aerogold Infinite
Same thing happened to me last Dec. I found a really great price for a Las Vegas flight-hotel package on a travel website, but when I tried to book it through Amex Plat. Travel, it was almost double. I ended up using the $200 to book a AC flight, which was the same price on the airline's website and at Amex.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by BenSenise
Incorrect. The credit in Canada is only for bookings through PTS.
you should read my line again where I used the word "SHOULD"
I'm well aware of the "inconvenient" limitation of booking via PTS only

Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:47 am

I have used it successsfully twice now (for 2012 and 2013.) Both times was for car rental with Avis. I first found the car and rate I was after online, then called PTS and said, "I wasn t to sue my travel credit. This is the agency, this is the car, and this is the rate quoted for these dates." On both occassions PTS came back with an even cheaper rate, and then applied the credit.

Also, on both occassions the credit posted on my account within 24 hours of booking with PTS.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Absolutely not a scam. Some hotel rates are not published, but for flights they will get same or better price than available on the web, otherwise they will just book it for you at the lowest price you found.

2012 MSY-YYZ - $2 cheaper than I could find anywhere

2013 YYZ-DCA-YYZ - Sabre was coming up more expensive so Plat booked it through AC.com for me.

In a way, the only "scam" in it is that it is their way of introducing you to PTS, which are an excellent service, amazing reps, wish they could train some of the frontline Amex crew in competence, politeness and general service levels (and yes, I still think Amex frontline service outstrips any high street bank's).
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AC, CX Gold, SPG Gold
I've used the credit for both 2012 and 2013. 2012 for a CX flight and 2013 for an AC flight.

Looked on the CX/AC website and called PTS to ask specifically for the flights I wanted. Price quoted by PTS was exactly the same as the website. After booking, asked that the credit be applied and it was done! Saw the booking and credit on my online statement a few days later.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Just booked FHR bellagio for $206. So it uses up the credit. FYI you cannot use the travel credit for any travel that is less than $200. I wanted to use the credit because my renewal is coming up and i'm going to cancel.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
I used my credit in 2012 on a flight - don't remember the details but the price was exactly the same as elsewhere. Last week I called to see if I could use it towards a Sunwing flight to Cuba and they said "no". Since Sunwing is a Canadian company I'm not sure why that wasn't allowed or if the information was accurate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.