Canadian Amex Plat $200 travel credit?

Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerryhung
you should read my line again where I used the word "SHOULD"
I'm well aware of the "inconvenient" limitation of booking via PTS only
sorry, my bad.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:38 pm

Does anyone know if the $200 credit used towards hotel (for example) is applied immediately, or only applied when the "charge" of the hotel actually occurs? For example, if I were to book a hotel stay in several months, will my $200 credit only show up after my stay (i.e. after I pay the hotel) or will it show up right away when I make the booking?
p.s. does that mean if you cancel the stay, the credit still applies?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ayz75
Does anyone know if the $200 credit used towards hotel (for example) is applied immediately, or only applied when the "charge" of the hotel actually occurs? For example, if I were to book a hotel stay in several months, will my $200 credit only show up after my stay (i.e. after I pay the hotel) or will it show up right away when I make the booking?
p.s. does that mean if you cancel the stay, the credit still applies?
I called AX PTS service yesterday and booked a hotel for a future stay. Not prepaid. Requested 2013 200 credit. Showed up on AX platinum account today. Cannot comment on what happens if you cancel.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Presto
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
I used my credit in 2012 on a flight - don't remember the details but the price was exactly the same as elsewhere. Last week I called to see if I could use it towards a Sunwing flight to Cuba and they said "no". Since Sunwing is a Canadian company I'm not sure why that wasn't allowed or if the information was accurate.
I booked a Sunwing Vacations package through Amex Plat last week and was able to apply my $200 credit - no problems. Perhaps 'flight only' is a problem(?).

Cheers
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Amex (CDN) Platinum Q

Any Canadians have advice how to use the $200 annual travel credit wisely?

We have a $200 credit on one card that needs to be spent in the next week before cancelling, $200 credit on my card, and $200 credit on my wife's new card. We actually didn't use any last year!!! I could kick myself for that -oh well.

I was wondering about airline gift cards, hotel bookings that can be cancelled? Just want to make sure we use them this year.

We have some hotel stays in Europe this summer but having 3 sep bookings in the same hotel is a little inconvenient.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:13 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Misnerfamily's question has been appended to an established thread discussing this benefit.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Misnerfamily
Any Canadians have advice how to use the $200 annual travel credit wisely?

We have a $200 credit on one card that needs to be spent in the next week before cancelling, $200 credit on my card, and $200 credit on my wife's new card. We actually didn't use any last year!!! I could kick myself for that -oh well.

I was wondering about airline gift cards, hotel bookings that can be cancelled? Just want to make sure we use them this year.

We have some hotel stays in Europe this summer but having 3 sep bookings in the same hotel is a little inconvenient.

Any suggestions?
Make sure you have a "signature on file" for PTS first before they can do anything

If you only have a few weeks, either make a vacation out of it
or as some suggested, if you book "refundable" hotel bookings via PTS, you'll see $200 credit right away, and you might be able to cancel those hotel bookings yourself (i.e. you earned free $200 credit)

I never tried it myself, so if you do try and successful, do report back
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:29 am

Well we have a few options...

So in summary...

- A car rental with all the specifics you find online is a good use (over $200 of course)
-Flights with specifics (Carrier,site,Flight number)

Anyone know if you can use an Airtransit Flight? Or a Ryan Air flight out of Europe? Airtransat shows up on ITA software....so maybe?

I'll try and report back.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:30 am

Just posted this in the thread about the $699 annual fee as well. I booked a Westjet flight, when talking to the agent she mentioned she was calculating "Westjet platinum discount". It ended up being about 7% less than the fare on the Westjet website. Then I also used my $200 annual travel credit, so I got full value for my travel credit, plus saved a little bit more due to Westjet discount.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
So in summary...

- A car rental with all the specifics you find online is a good use (over $200 of course)
-Flights with specifics (Carrier,site,Flight number)

Anyone know if you can use an Airtransit Flight? Or a Ryan Air flight out of Europe? Airtransat shows up on ITA software....so maybe?

I'll try and report back.
You can use it on any travel booked through PTS. So you'll need to call PTS to arrange the flight on Air Transat or Ryan Air, but you'll get your credit.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:35 am

Thanks

Thanks for the tip!! If I can use it on Ryan Air then I'm good to go for all 3 $200 credits for this year as we have positioning flights from YYZ-CDG AT, CDG-BUD to purchase this week. Now I just need to find a nice hotel/accomodation in Paris for me and the Mrs.
Cheers - K

Originally Posted by ffsim
You can use it on any travel booked through PTS. So you'll need to call PTS to arrange the flight on Air Transat or Ryan Air, but you'll get your credit.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Make sure you have a "signature on file" for PTS first before they can do anything
Could you please elaborate on this? Is this something that has to be done in advance? I thought I could just call and book.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by echino
Could you please elaborate on this? Is this something that has to be done in advance? I thought I could just call and book.
You'd think so, and that'd be too easy (for Fraud I guess, otherwise someone could just use up your $200 if they got your CC #)

so before you can do anything, PTS will probably ask you to print, sign, email/fax back this "Personal Travel Profile and Signature on File Form-English_Printable version (3).pdf" form back, to ensure you authorized them

Link below from my Dropbox.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4a6p9bs66m...%20%283%29.pdf

PTS info
1-866-257-0878 | (416) 868-1833 | * [email protected]
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Now I just need to find a nice hotel/accomodation in Paris for me and the Mrs.
Cheers - K
Not sure what part of town you're planning to stay in, but check out Hotel California. It's about a 2 minute walk to the Champs-lyses and a 10 minute walk to the Arc de Triomphe. By far the best value I was able to find in the area and it's a fantastic hotel to boot.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:59 pm

Looks Nice

Looks great - a little more than I wanted to spend, but I may not have a choice with Paris in the summer. I thought I might use some SPG points or MR credits we have. I'll keep it in our top choices for sure.

Thanks

Originally Posted by ffsim
Not sure what part of town you're planning to stay in, but check out Hotel California. It's about a 2 minute walk to the Champs-lyses and a 10 minute walk to the Arc de Triomphe. By far the best value I was able to find in the area and it's a fantastic hotel to boot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.