Centurion US Airway Status Post Merger

Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent, VS G, CO G, US Plat, IC Plat Amb
Originally Posted by bubu-SNA
Who files VS?!? Last I checked they did not even have a daily out of LAX, where as BA runs 2-3 flights a day. Its a minor airline which is now extending benefits to Delta Medallions anyway.
Virgin Atlantic is a major international airline, with twice daily service from LAX. I fly it regularly, and much prefer the Upper Class experience over BA Club World. (BA First is of course a different level)
Old Apr 2, 2013, 11:02 pm

Who knows, maybe AMEX will impress us and rope in some new programs.
We can always hope. With the increase in the initiation fee and the increase in the supplementary card holder fee, combined with limiting the number of supplementary Cent holders per account, it certainly seems like they are trying to cull the ranks and charge more per member. This *should* allow them to attract new airline and hotel partners who may grant elite status for a limited number of people.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SusanDK
... Losing Star Alliance Gold will hurt since my home airport is CPH with a second home in the U.S. (MCO)....
... If *gold goes away I'll probably just downgrade to a nice good ol' green card.
Star Alliance is bloated with over two dozen member airlines, including many regional carriers. It seems likely that American Express could purchase status from one of them, though not (for example) UA or LH. Would status through a smaller member be useful?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
HaydenFive,

My bad, I guess VS does have a 2x daily out of LAX...is it a recent change? It's good to know. When I checked a few years ago it was 3-4 days a week...

It's a shame VS did not join *alliance and instead chose a partnership with Delta.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
I think having status in an alliance is valuable, no matter who the actual carrier is. As an example I had a flight go mechanical last month @ YVR on UA. The gate agents announced the flight is indefinitely delayed and probably will be cancelled as no mechanic is available. The agent proceeded to ask UA elites to line up by name, followed by *alliance elites for re-booking...then the unwashed masses. End result, the people with status got on an AC flight, while most of the rest were stuck in YVR overnight.

...not all airlines or agents will extend that sort of courtesy to their elites, or *alliance elites but I find it more common abroad then state side where the casual fliers rush the desk, while the elites dial 1-800-airline on their cells for rebooking.

That's one example where status is important to me...international lounge access, priority boarding, and free checked bags are nice perks to have.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Star Alliance is bloated with over two dozen member airlines, including many regional carriers. It seems likely that American Express could purchase status from one of them, though not (for example) UA or LH. Would status through a smaller member be useful?
Speaking personally, it would depend on which member airline. While any of the partner airlines would provide lounge access when traveling on a Star carrier, I don't know how useful some would be over others. I'd love to have status with LH or SK (highly unlikely for either one), or even AC.

I agree with bubu-SNA that it would have been nice if VS had joined Star because it would have solved the Centurion Star Alliance elite status issue once US leaves Star, plus would have given me some seamless options for booking VS with connections on SK.

Why do you ask, mia? Are you able to pass along wishes to someone with influence at AmEx?
Old Apr 3, 2013, 3:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... Are you able to pass along wishes to someone with influence at AmEx?
No ma'am, just trying to nudge the discussion in a constructive direction.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:27 am

Programs: AMEX Business Centurion
Originally Posted by mia
Would status through a smaller member be useful?
In a word: yes.

*A Gold in any shape or form is a great help. Bloated or not, there are a lot of carriers in the alliance and Gold status makes things a lot easier and oftentimes cheaper when traveling cross-pacific like I do a lot. For years I have avoided AA and OW like the plague. It creeps me out to even think about that as a replacement to US Air, which was sort of a replacement to losing CO... which used to be really useful. But.... any replacement is better than no replacement.

Anyway, I believe that the Amex travel program is headed for a major reboot and I say it's a good time and despite some erosion of benefits and quality of service over the past several years I'm still a big fan and ardent supporter of AMEX. I won't be downgrading to a Plat or Green card anytime soon and I am happy to provide feedback on what would be most helpful to the program, if anyone at Amex is looking for feedback from their Cent folks.

Thanks as always, Mia, for your help and insights.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:46 am

Does the Canadian Centurion include AC elite status? If so, I'm wondering if that might be an easy option for US Centurion to add.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:19 pm

Any updates on this mess?
Old May 4, 2013, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by platinumPizza
Any updates on this mess?
There won't be for a while yet. The merger isn't closed and until that happens we likely won't hear a ton of details about this sort of thing.
Old May 4, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by mia
Would status through a smaller member be useful?

Definitely. I know for a fact that Amex Switzerland has been negotiating LX status for Centurions for years without success. This has been especially frustrating for Swiss Cents as they were also left out of the CX promotion. At this point I would even be happy if we got *G status through A3...
Old May 8, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
This is the one benefit I use like crazy, Delta a second. Hope they figure something out.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, US Air Gold
Pretty much as expected, AA has announced that they are keeping Citi as the issuer of their cards:

American Airlines agrees to stick with Citibank

This isn't a surprise, but it's hard to see how Amex would keep a premium status with the merged airline.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, VS Gold, DL Plat, CO Gold, UA Prem Ex, US Plat
Does the Canadian Centurion include AC elite status? If so, I'm wondering if that might be an easy option for US Centurion to add.
No, it does not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.