Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Canada referral program questions and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Canada referral program questions and discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by echino
I got someone who applied and was approved last week for a Gold card using the link in my signature, still no points for me. I will be investigating.
I did not do it.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by swannybc
Thanks for the info. Yeah, this is so frustrating. I'm going to call and demand something be done while I'm on the phone.
Amex reps have the capability to add the points in your account right away, so yes, just push harder and you will get your points.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:07 pm
Suspended

amex plat refers an amex SPG: 10k spg points?

i have an amex plat (canada) i was thinking of referring an amex starwood (canada) card to someone. the referral page says that the referrer gets 10k points and the new amex spg cardholder will get 21k points after $500 spend in the first three months.
i'm wondering if i can refer an spg card if i don't have one, and if so, would i get the 10k spg points?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:33 pm
alc

Originally Posted by BenSenise
i have an amex plat (canada) i was thinking of referring an amex starwood (canada) card to someone. the referral page says that the referrer gets 10k points and the new amex spg cardholder will get 21k points after $500 spend in the first three months.
i'm wondering if i can refer an spg card if i don't have one, and if so, would i get the 10k spg points?
One of my friend try it and didn't get the referral bonus.

But to the person that is getting the SPG card, it is actually better to apply via the GCR rebates website. That personal will get 20K sign-up bonus + $30 rebates. To me $30 cash is better than 1000 SPG points. GCR itself has referral program too, so you can sign up GCR and then referral your friend to GCR. Then you can also get 15% worth of any rebates your friend will get in the next 5 years. So for this SPG card, you will be $30 x 15% = $4.5. I know it is not alot, but now you can ask your friend to apply those MBNA cards via this web site and your balance will add up very quickly
Old Mar 17, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
My foray into cross referrals was unsuccessful. There are reports abound of successful and unsuccessful attempts in the churning thread, general trend seems to be no, particularly on the MR referring to AP/SPG front.

I would disagree with the post above to the extent that 20kAPG+$30 is roughly equal to 21kSPG. It is not hard to get 3c value from an SPG point. The 10k referral points is a lot of good karma and are worth easily $250-300 to the beneficiary. If you have an Amex clique, your friend should look for a friend or family to refer him/her and maybe refer the beneficiary down the road. My friends all swap referrals on a regular basis, the net outcome is far greater than a GCR sign up.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

thanks alc and markandrew for your replies. i guess i'll skip this one.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:34 pm
alc

Hey BenSenise, as markandrew mentioned the value of SPG at 3 cents per point, if you friend value the same (or higher), then you can always trigger the referral link and take a shoot if you will get the referral bonus or not. Some had report on the churning thread that they actually call and explain what they did (i.e. the accidentally misunderstood the instruction of the refer-a-friend program) and they got some points in return, based on the type of points you had to perform the referral request. if you end up try it, let us know your result.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by alc
.... (i.e. the accidentally misunderstood the instruction of the refer-a-friend program) .....
I can't find these instructions, where are these posted?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:58 pm
alc

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I can't find these instructions, where are these posted?
I think you know what I am talking about, but just in case, here is the info I was referring to:

when you go to the "Refer-A-Friend" link off AMEX Canada web site:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...ds_promo_refer

on top of the chart with all the cards, it has the following top line

1.Find your Card
2.Create an invite
3.Review and send

On this page, it it also state "Select Your Card"

after you click "Your card", it go to the next screen. Where if it is available, you can click "Recommend a different Card?" to refer other cards within the same family.

after you click the "Recommended" button, you are now in the Step 2:

1.Find your Card
2.Create an invite
3.Review and send

Once you enter all the info, then you are in Step 3:

1.Find your Card
2.Create an invite
3.Review and send

So, in my view, the instruction is very clear on the web page, but I do think the programmer should set it to do some check if you do really have the card or not, especially they ask us to enter our card number. The fact anyone can type their card number on any card they selected, it had lead to most of the confusion, on FT or not on FT.... I guess these "instruction" info is not obvious enough to everyone. You can just look at the Churning thread and you can see there are FT members that had been posting all the time didn't even know about these instruction until recently.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
I think 1NewFlyer was referring to the call in instructions/method.

Some posters report that they used card type X to refer to card type Y, card Y was approved but card X did not see a bonus since it is a different card type.

Cardholder X then calls Amex and says they referred Y and Y was approved, agent says X cannot refer to Y as it is against the rules but on this occasion I will credit the referral bonus to your account.

This is a one time exception to general rule that cross family referrals are against the terms which is at the discretion of the agent you speak to. Other people report successful cross referring, since my first failure I have not tried again, and I try to keep one of each card type to be able to make referrals without any concern for me or the recipient.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by alc
I think you know what I am talking about, but just in case, here is the info I was referring to:

when you go to the "Refer-A-Friend" link off AMEX Canada web site:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...ds_promo_refer

on top of the chart with all the cards, it has the following top line

1.Find your Card
2.Create an invite
3.Review and send

On this page, it it also state "Select Your Card"

after you click "Your card", it go to the next screen. Where if it is available, you can click "Recommend a different Card?" to refer other cards within the same family.

after you click the "Recommended" button, you are now in the Step 2:

1.Find your Card
2.Create an invite
3.Review and send

Once you enter all the info, then you are in Step 3:

1.Find your Card
2.Create an invite
3.Review and send

So, in my view, the instruction is very clear on the web page, but I do think the programmer should set it to do some check if you do really have the card or not, especially they ask us to enter our card number. The fact anyone can type their card number on any card they selected, it had lead to most of the confusion, on FT or not on FT.... I guess these "instruction" info is not obvious enough to everyone. You can just look at the Churning thread and you can see there are FT members that had been posting all the time didn't even know about these instruction until recently.
It could be so much more clear with Amex, if under each card on the online account, there is a selection clearly labeled 'refer this card' and perhaps mention 'and receive x bonus points for referral'.

Selecting your card, and entering the card # is redundant. Finding and figuring out referral links is confusing.

Also if the referral won't work because the cc holder doesn't have the card to qualify for the referral bonus, Amex could at least send an email notifying the cc holder that referral bonus doesn't apply.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 12:09 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
It could be so much more clear with Amex, if under each card on the online account, there is a selection clearly labeled 'refer this card' and perhaps mention 'and receive x bonus points for referral'.

Selecting your card, and entering the card # is redundant. Finding and figuring out referral links is confusing.

Also if the referral won't work because the cc holder doesn't have the card to qualify for the referral bonus, Amex could at least send an email notifying the cc holder that referral bonus doesn't apply.
Historically, all referrals worked for me notwithstanding confusing instructions and despite some poster's confusing interpretations of Amex's referral policy.
Sometimes I called to expedite the posting of 'deserved' points into my account. If Amex makes it any easier, the churning will become harder.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Historically, all referrals worked for me notwithstanding confusing instructions and despite some poster's confusing interpretations of Amex's referral policy.
Sometimes I called to expedite the posting of 'deserved' points into my account. If Amex makes it any easier, the churning will become harder.

Yeah, the secrets deep in the annals of FT are sometimes allusive. I was completely backwards on my understanding of the referral system.. until gently grilled for it. Hence, my rant over the past month or so.

Glad its of benefit to members here.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of referrals is now commingled with other aspects in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...da-2015-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.