Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex MR points transfer bonuses (Canada)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Amex MR points transfer bonuses (Canada)

Are there ever bonuses on transferring MR points?

I see that in the past there have been some 30% - 50% bonuses when transferring to Avios. It appears that there are sometimes smaller bonuses when transferring to AP. Is it likely that there will be a transfer bonus to one of these programs in the next say 6 months?

Are there any other programs that ever have transfer bonuses?

It seems that US members have much greater options when it comes to their MR points.

thanks
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:41 pm

Yes - there were bonuses, and hopefully WILL be sometime in 2013. Nobody knows
I took advantage of the 50% Avios and 20-25% Aeroplan

Aeroplan transfer bonus history
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...r-bonuses.html

Yes, US is better on almost everything vs. Canada
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Yes, US is better on almost everything vs. Canada
contentious.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
I'm still waiting for the transfer bonuses to show up, too. Let's hope that the 50% Avios transfer comes back, that'd put me into a whole new award category (y)!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:32 pm

I'm waiting for the transfer bonus as well. I saved tons of MR points so far.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 4:14 pm

Is transferring to BA with the 50% bonus considered the best value for MR? Or are there some other possibly better options that we can wait for?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
IIRC, AP had a transfer bonus at year-end 2010 and 2011 for a number of partners that included MR. It's not a wonderful bonus, for example, in 2011 it topped out at 25K bonus for transferring 100K.

In 2012 they had the same year-end promotion but it did not include MR.

I think there might have been another transfer bonus in 2012 that included only Canadian Amex MR points; i.e. from a card issued in Canada.

Based on history, I would not expect a transfer bonus for USA MR points at least until November - if at all.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Pretty sure that Amex will have a transfer bonus in May-June, the question is whether the Amex exclusion is going to become a staple of the T&Cs.

My guess is AP does not like Amex transferors because there are a lot of Amex account holders with a serious lot of MRs and a lot are travel savvy and know how best to exploit the AP system. Just a skeptic's guess.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: A few.
Be carefull with transfers to AP. Last year I wanted to transfer 200k from MR and phoned to see if total would earn the reward. They said yes but to be sure make two 100 k transfers. Total bonus was 25 k instead of 50k. When I enquired I was told that regardless of amount transferred bonus maxes out at 25 k. Lesson learned
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinwangjk
Is transferring to BA with the 50% bonus considered the best value for MR? Or are there some other possibly better options that we can wait for?
if you have an amex platinum card, you earn 1.25 MR per CAD spent. If you get a 50% bonus transfer to BA, that comes out to 1.875 avios per CAD. personally, i consider that pretty good.

Originally Posted by Precision1
Be carefull with transfers to AP. Last year I wanted to transfer 200k from MR and phoned to see if total would earn the reward. They said yes but to be sure make two 100 k transfers. Total bonus was 25 k instead of 50k. When I enquired I was told that regardless of amount transferred bonus maxes out at 25 k. Lesson learned
always, always, always read the T&C yourself. never, ever, ever trust a phone agent.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:51 pm

I'm pretty new to MR. Do they email you when there is a bonus? Or does it pop up somewhere on the transfer page?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:07 pm
alc

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I'm pretty new to MR. Do they email you when there is a bonus? Or does it pop up somewhere on the transfer page?
If it was an AMEX Transfer promo, it will show up on the AMEX MR page. But if it was a promo of the destination program (i.e. AEROPLAN Convert Promo), it will show up on the destination program web site.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
i don't remember if they email you or not. i think so but i'm not 100% sure.

it's always mentioned here in this forum and i subscribe to a couple RSS feeds of travel/points bloggers. one in particular is frequentflyerbonuses.com
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by BenSenise
i don't remember if they email you or not. i think so but i'm not 100% sure.

it's always mentioned here in this forum and i subscribe to a couple RSS feeds of travel/points bloggers. one in particular is frequentflyerbonuses.com
Great! Thanks Ben and alc. I'll make sure to subscribe to the RSS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.