Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
These cards would be brand new accounts correct? I know Amex allows for back dating which shouldn't really mess with AAOA but at some point there is going to be several opened and closed Amex Platinum accounts on your files. Would there be any other ramifications from such activity?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
No, since they are both no longer considered separate products anymore, you would need to cancel and wait 12 months before getting another Regular Plat or MB Plat.
This is the problem, right? If you have to wait 12 months (and 1 day), then you may as well just apply for the personal Plat again. In other words, if you hold the personal Plat, then you can't get the MB for the reasons discussed here, and you have to wait 12 months, I suppose you could get the MB, but at that point you could just get the 'regular' Plat again. (In reality I guess you sign up for whichever has the higher sign up bonus.)

I guess ma91pmh is right; you will "just" have to alternate business and personal Platinum cards (assuming you can qualify for biz).
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, US Silver, Starwood Gold, Starbucks Gold
Have read through this thread, TPG, and the T&C's of the various cards. Sounds like you can alternate Personal/MB Platinum and the Business Platinum every 12 months.

I have the PRG card that I plan on cancelling in February (when the annual fee hits) unless I get a good retention offer. Seems to be that if I want to start churning/alternating the Amex Plat, I should apply for the Business Plat first, and then alternate every 11-13 months. I looked up the Business Plat and it seems to have a 25k MR offer. Is that the best offer or are there better ones that come out periodically?

Also, if I open a Business Amex card, will that preserve my Personal MR balance? Will I be able to see my Business Amex card on my personal account?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by midnightinharlem
Have read through this thread, TPG, and the T&C's of the various cards. Sounds like you can alternate Personal/MB Platinum and the Business Platinum every 12 months.

I have the PRG card that I plan on cancelling in February (when the annual fee hits) unless I get a good retention offer. Seems to be that if I want to start churning/alternating the Amex Plat, I should apply for the Business Plat first, and then alternate every 11-13 months. I looked up the Business Plat and it seems to have a 25k MR offer. Is that the best offer or are there better ones that come out periodically?

Also, if I open a Business Amex card, will that preserve my Personal MR balance? Will I be able to see my Business Amex card on my personal account?
25k seems to be the best out there right now for biz, but MB & MS cards have 50k, so why not go for one of those instead ? OTOH 50k for the biz pops up fairly regularly, and occasionally 100k.
Why wait till renewal ? Annual fee on your gold will be refunded pro-rata if you do it now, and yes the biz card will preserve your MR.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:38 am

The PRG is in its first year, so no annual fee yet to be refunded. I plan on cancelling in Februrary (give or take a month) and am trying to figure out timing for applying for either the Biz or Personal. Can I apply for a personal Plat and get a bonus right now (since I currently have the PRG)? I was under the impression that I can't until it's closed for 90 days.

I think my plan is to sign up for whichever Plat (Personal/MB or Business) comes out with a 75k or 100k offer first, and go from there. 50k MB is the best offer right now as far as I know, and seems to be a permanent offer.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:35 am

Also, can I apply for the MB Platinum and get the 50k MR sign-up bonus if I currently have the PRG card (and received its 50k MR sign-up bonus in May)?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 11:35 am

Cool

Bump, has there been any success alternating platinum cards for bonuses?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by Fuerza
Bump, has there been any success alternating platinum cards for bonuses?
Not between personal/mb, only between personal or mb with biz
Old Mar 9, 2014, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by exmike
Not between personal/mb, only between personal or mb with biz
Would you mind sharing your cycle?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:50 pm

bump

does this still apply? are they separate products with separate sign-up bonuses?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by peterjhlee
bump

does this still apply? are they separate products with separate sign-up bonuses?
nope, dead deal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.