Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternating personal, Mercedes, and Business Platinum cards [USA].

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
Thanks for the pay over time link. Does this work in the business card too?
AFAIK it is only valid for the Platinum Biz. It has only worked on 3/5 accounts I manage.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: AOPA
Originally Posted by keirnna
AFAIK it is only valid for the Platinum Biz. It has only worked on 3/5 accounts I manage.
Thanks, signed up on Sunday and got the 10k on Tuesday !

Last edited by teddy25; May 14, 2013 at 5:52 am
Old May 15, 2013, 2:37 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mia
T&C from the link you provided for the Amex MB:
You can earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points when you charge $3,000 of eligible purchases on a Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Mercedes-Benz in your first 3 months of Card membership. Points will be credited to your Membership Rewards account within 6 – 8 weeks after the spend requirement has been reached. Eligible purchases are purchases of goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. This offer is not valid for existing Platinum Card members from American Express. You are eligible to receive points for only one Card account. Additional Card members are not eligible.
Does this mean I have to cancel Plat before applying for Plat MB?

Please report if you receive bonus for Plat MB when having Plat.
Although there is one here, I'd like more data points to confirm it's still possible

Last edited by johnnie198x; May 15, 2013 at 2:51 am
Old May 15, 2013, 7:02 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
T&C from the link you provided for the Amex MB:
Note that the paragraph you quoted refers to the Mercedes Benz charge card, not to the credit card.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:08 pm

invite code

guys - i'm quite sure the invite code isn't transferable and I just got an offer. However has anybody had success giving it to a family member with the same last name?

thanks
Old May 27, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by sam007
guys - i'm quite sure the invite code isn't transferable and I just got an offer. However has anybody had success giving it to a family member with the same last name?

thanks
I tried for a BRG sent to my wife, it wouldn't work. Same last name.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:28 am

Can I churn Amex charge cards for bonuses if I hold the Mercedes Benz Plat?

I currently have the MB platinum card and the zync card. I am thinking about cancelling the zync as all the benefits have essentially been stripped. I previously had the PRG card. Would I be able to apply for the PRG or regular Platinum card for the sign up bonus?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:28 am

Not until you waited for the application period to reset (probably 3 months in your case; read the fine print on the PRG application to be sure).
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
alternating plat AMEX & MBZ Plat MX-- does it still work? need help with strategy

I have had a plat amex since 7/11 and a bz gold since 11/11.

I got 100K bonus for the former, 75L bonus for the latter.

I have a costco bz amex, so I get OPEN savings without the bz gold and since most of its benefits are similar to the personal platinum (except the 3x miles, which I also get on AS visa and SWA visa) it is not cost effective for me.

I plan to close the gold, as I constantly get emails for 100K bonuses if I sign up for a bz platinum--knowing I cannot apply for such a bonus until the acccount has been closed a year.

I would rather get a new bonus by opening a MBZ Plat amex IF I WOULD BE ELIGIBLE--than just pay my annual fee for my platinum.

When I called mx, I was told that I would not be eligible for a bonus on the MBZ platinum since I currently hold a platinum MX.

If I dropped my plat MX for 3 months or 1 year would I be eligible to get a new bonus on the MBZ platinum or regular platinum?

Shouldn't I hold onto the bz gold to keep my MRs in the interim?

I would rather not drop a platinum. I read it was previously possible to get a MBZ platinum and THEN drop the regular platinum. Is this still the case?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by thumbelina
I plan to close the gold, as I constantly get emails for 100K bonuses if I sign up for a bz platinum--knowing I cannot apply for such a bonus until the acccount has been closed a year.
Double check that it's a year.

I think you need to wait a year if you have a platinum, cancel, and re-apply for platinum.

But if you have gold, cancel, and apply for platinum, I think the required gap is only 90 days.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kngspook
But if you have gold, cancel, and apply for platinum, I think the required gap is only 90 days.
The rules for personal and Business cards are different. Personal has the 1 year same card or 90 days related card rule. Business is 1 year for either the same card -or- a related card.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:03 pm

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks mia.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, SWA CP, SWA A list, Hyatt Platinum, Hhilton Gold, Makai Club
now I am confused...

quote:
The rules for personal and Business cards are different. Personal has the 1 year same card or 90 days related card rule. Business is 1 year for either the same card -or- a related card

Does that mean if I want to get a Mercedes card I need only close my personal
Platinum and wait 90 days if I want to get the Mercedes bonus --that means I would need to keep my gold active so as not to lose my MRs

And does that mean that once I close my bizgold card (3 months from now according to this Plan A) I would have to wait 1 year (15 mos from now) to take AMEX up on the biz Plat for 100 K (if that offer is still around and offered to me)

Perhaps Plan B would make better since--keep my personal Platinum, drop the bz gold and forget about the MBZ unless someone can prove to me I can get that bonus while still having the personal plat and apply for a bz platinum in 12 months if large bonus is still available . I have been getting unsolicited 100K biz plat offers by snail mail for about 2 years, so I guess they will keep offering it but every 1/4 year more I wait the economy
is likely to improve and the credit card companies are maybe more likely to get less generous with their offers????

What do you think? Plan A or Plan B-- or is there a THIRD WAY??? ie, the old rotating platinum card method if it is still in existence or gets resurrected?

Last edited by thumbelina; Aug 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
quote:
The rules for personal and Business cards are different. Personal has the 1 year same card or 90 days related card rule. Business is 1 year for either the same card -or- a related card

Platinum and wait 30 days if I want to get the Mercedes bonus --that means I would need to keep my gold active so as not to lose my MRs

And does that mean that once I close my bizgold card (3 months from now according to this Plan A) I would have to wait 1 year (15 mos from now) to take AMEX up on the biz Plat for 100 K (if that offer is still around and offered to me)

Perhaps Plan B would make better since--keep my personal Platinum, forget about the MBZ unless someone can prove to me I can get that bonus while still having the personal plat and u/g biz gold to platinum in 12 months. I have been getting unsolicited 100K biz plat offers by snail mail for about 2 years, so I guess they will keep offering it but every 1/4 year more I wait the economy
is likely to improve and the credit card companies are maybe more likely to get less generous with their offers????

What do you think? Plan A or Plan B-- or is there a THIRD WAY??? ie, the old rotating platinum card method if it is still in existence or gets resurrected?
Sorry, didn't read the entire thread. But I had the Plat for years, and end of last year I applied for Mercedes Plat and then upgraded my other biz card to a AMEX biz plat and got all credits + signup bonuses for the 2 platinums as expected. Hope this helps
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:15 pm

quote:

Platinum and wait 90 days if I want to get the Mercedes bonus --that means I would need to keep my gold active so as not to lose my MRs

Perhaps Plan B would make better since--keep my personal Platinum, drop the bz gold and forget about the MBZ unless someone can prove to me I can get that bonus while still having the personal plat and apply for a bz platinum in 12 months if large bonus is still available . I have been getting unsolicited 100K biz plat offers by snail mail for about 2 years, so I guess they will keep offering it but every 1/4 year more I wait the economy

I edited the above post and corrected some mistakes I made if formulating my Plan A and Plan B. Stealph
if I understand you correctly while still holding your personal platinum you applied for and got the mbz plat bonus and without closing your less than platinum biz card got a plat biz with bonus as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.