Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: stimpy
FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE.

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.
Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas] 2013 - 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:40 pm

The Ritz-Carlton New York, Battery Park

I stayed for 3 nights at the Ritz-Carlton at Battery Park with a 3rd free night promotion on a weekend in mid-February. I booked the lowest-level room and was given a one-category upgrade to a Statue of Liberty view room. This room was actually instantly visible through Ritz-Carlton's site when I entered my confirmation number into the system, so this may be one of a few properties that upgrades Platinum cardholders at the time of booking.

The daily breakfast credit was $26/pp, and we used room service everyday, which had decent selection and quality. If you go over your $52 (which is easy given the delivery fees and service charges), you can use the $100 property credit to cover those expenses. We ended up using part of the $100 for valet parking which is expectedly steep at $60/night in Manhattan. However, there are some other cheaper parking options nearby, if you want to save a bit and are driving.

Overall, it was a good stay and great free night for a comfortable NYC hotel. As it's a little off the beaten path, cabs or subway rides will generally be necessary to reach other parts of the city. I'd certainly stay here again if the rates continue to remain competitive compared to other hotels.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The Palace Hotel: San Francisco

Booked a two night stay from 2-28 to 3-2. First night was booked through corporate travel and second night through FHR. Booked the lowest level room for both nights. Upgraded to a suite on the second night (FHR). Reservations weren't linked despite calling SPG but sounds like if they were they would have held a suite for both nights.

Standard free breakfast benefit for either "The American Breakfast" in the restaurant or $37 per person for room service. Additional $100 F&B credit used on room service as well. No issues with billing. Both automatically taken off the bill.

Room was on a lower floor so heard a lot of street noise but being only for two nights, I didn't really care enough to see about another room.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:26 pm

La Quinta Resort and Spa, Palm Springs Area

booked cheapest room, when i checked in, the check in agent was friendly and professional. Received a 5 category upgrade according to the agent.

received all other FHR benefits as advertised. Breakfast buffet at Twenty6 was great, ($26 + tax and tip/person if i had to pay)

the room that we got upgraded to was a Spa Villa Room, which is on the second floor of a villa, which has the spa villa suite on the main floor. The room is like a junior suite, there are 2 tvs, a separate sofa area, and a king size bed. Room was well worn and not what i would describe as luxury, that being said it i got a good rate and would stay again.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:50 pm

Hyatt Regency, Indian Wells,

booked for 2 nights on the cheapest rate, front desk/check-in was very busy and stressful, as i checked in at 4:30 (about a 10 min wait). When i got to the check in agent, was told that i have received an upgrade of a better pool view, i was hoping for a better upgrade as someone else had reported being upgraded to a villa.

Received a welcome letter with the FHR benefits explained. For breakfast you were entitled to 1 breakfast entree of your choice, coffee and juice/person, which i found reasonable.

All other FHR benefits were offered and used.

Room was a regular hotel room, with a sunken sofa area. Room was adequate, not good, not bad, a little small for my liking.

I had a plan of staying in all 3 FHR hotels on this trip to the Palm Springs area, and this would be the least favorite of the hotels.

Disliked the long walk from room to the self park parking, about a 5 min walk.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Does one need to actually use the Platinum card to book/pay in order to reap the rewards of the FHR program?

Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by CBS9000
Does one need to actually use the Platinum card to book/pay in order to reap the rewards of the FHR program?

Thanks
Book = yes. Pay = Any AMEX.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:48 pm

Can I use my Plat card to book a room for my brother stay ? (Same last name different first name) and he'll pay with his gold amex card
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:03 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Can I use my Plat card to book a room for my brother stay ?
No. Begin reading at post 555 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post20256941

...but also check to see if the property participates in this program...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html

...or consider booking through a Virtuoso travel agency for substantially similar benefits.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:11 pm

Miramonte Resort and Spa

booked the cheapest room here, when i checked in, was informed that i received an upgrade to a luxury room instead of the base room, so a 1 category upgrade.

I was checked in by the front desk manager, she was great, i asked if there was any paid upgrades available, if i did not like the room, she found me a suite that she quoted $15/night upgrade. She thanked me for the booking and loyalty to Amex FHR.

Room: this hotel reminds me of a motel, and has the same general format. Parking our car directly in front of the room. Room front door to car would be about 15 feet. Not necessarily a bad thing, just not much of a luxurious experience.

The room itself is good, we received a ground floor room, which the resort calls a dulce suite. The room is poorly lit, there were lots of wear and tear issues with the room. Things like an odor when you first walk in, dusty/dirty edges and trim, poor/ loose electrical outlets.

All FHR benefits were listed on a welcome letter, breakfast at the main building was average, i personally like buffets for breakfast, which this restaurant did not offer.

It was a good stay, of the three hotels that i stayed at this would be the best.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:19 am

Umstead Hotel and Spa - Cary, NC

Booked a two night stay at the Umstead Hotel in Cary, NC in the lowest category room over this past weekend.

Upon arrival AmEx FHR benefits were noted and explained. 4 category upgrade was given (Executive Suite), $20 credit per person per day for breakfast at the restaurant, $100 food and dining credit applied, and 4pm late checkout granted.

Overall, a very excellent stay. The food at the restaurant (Herons) was delicious with excellent portions for the price. Service was prompt and very friendly. The one thing my wife and I noticed was they never said "no" to any of our requests. Room was very clean and in great condition. Wife loved the bed and the down pillows. Only negative would be the tiny bathtub. She is 5'6" 120lbs and barely fit in the tub.

I do recommend you stay here if you plan to travel to the Raleigh-Durham area.

Last edited by mvarghese84; Mar 6, 2013 at 9:22 am Reason: a
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia
No. Begin reading at post 555 of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post20256941

...but also check to see if the property participates in this program...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html

...or consider booking through a Virtuoso travel agency for substantially similar benefits.
Thank you very much Mia.

If the Amex Plat card holder must be present at check in, why so many people asked if they can use a different Amex card at check out ? Maybe to use a corporate amex ? Airline/hotels branded amex ?

Was not aware of gold card hotel program. It seems not to work for French card holder.

FHR seems to be the only program with the confirmed 4 pm check out. (Even 6 pm for Centurion in some properties?) Very usefull when flying back to Europe from the US / Asia. I
I don't understand why no other program can match this confirmed 4 pm check out. I agree to deal by phone with the very poor FHR staff in France just for the 4 pm. Last time they booked me an hotel without my OK, without confirming and received an email from the hotel saying no show etc and I received no help from Amex...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
If the Amex Plat card holder must be present at check in, why so many people asked if they can use a different Amex card at check out ?.
I think I am one who has asked this very question, and in my case, I wanted to use some prepaid gift cards that I had in conjunction with a FHR reservation. I was able to do this without any problem.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If the Amex Plat card holder must be present at check in, why so many people asked if they can use a different Amex card at check out ?.
If I'm staying at a Starwood FHR property, I rather use my SPG AMEX to earn more bonus points.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:25 pm

Thank you seawolf and thebeerhunter for your replies
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:03 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I don't understand why no other program can match this confirmed 4 pm check out.
With most luxury hotels they want to earn your business.... If this is really important to you, some hotels will make it happen. Working with a professional TA might be helpful for this. Bonne chance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.