Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Blue Cash Preferred (6% supermarket questions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Blue Cash Preferred (6% supermarket questions)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
If it says groceries on the end, then it is classified as grocery store. Therefore you got the 6%. Found that out with Walmart. Regular stores code as discount store while neighborhood markets code as groceries.
I saw the very same neighborhood store was coded as groceries on 7/11 purchase, but was coded as Wholesale center on 7/15!

It is the SAME neighborhood store with same billing address - WMT HQ at Bentonville, yet the coding changed from 7/11 groceries to 7/15 wholesale! I dont know it is WMT's issue or AMEX issue. Suffice to say, it would not get the category bonus.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Nomoneyinmybank
If it says groceries on the end, then it is classified as grocery store. Therefore you got the 6%. Found that out with Walmart. Regular stores code as discount store while neighborhood markets code as groceries.
Thanks!^
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
I need to research to see if the Kroger Gas station qualifies for 6%. I feel like it does, but I got spooked by something I read.
Seems that amex is now enforcing gas sold by supermarkets/clubs into the 1% category. The 3% was nice while it lasted.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Tanic
Seems that amex is now enforcing gas sold by supermarkets/clubs into the 1% category. The 3% was nice while it lasted.
Good thing that I still have my penfed card...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tanic
You could just get a store giftcard for the gas pump. For example, Safeway/Von's giftcard and use the giftcard at the pump. Earn 6% still since the purchase occured inside the store. YMMV depending on which brand you use, but this works at my Safeway gas. Still the $6k cap though on grocery purchase.

There is also the Blue Cash card. Unlimited 5% at gas pumps and groceries after $6.5k initial purchase.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:11 pm

New Amex member in need of tips and tricks for cash back.

I wanted the Blue Cash Preferred, but when I found out that I wouldn't get cash back for my supermarket of choice (WM), it wouldn't have been worth the fee anymore. So I went with the blue everyday.

I then got the idea that I could just buy a gift card at any supermarket or pharmacy store allowed, then just use that money to buy my stuff at WM. But I think that doesn't work either since it would be considered a cash purchase.

I came across this website and have been reading about sites like BigCrumbs and the Amex GC Store etc... Do you guys know how to earn cash back at places not considered supermarkets? The supermarket is the only one that concerns me because when it comes to gas I'm ok and the pharmacy stores like CVS and Walgreens I'm good too. Just groceries.. I would get the preferred instantly if I can make it work.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by jaydcc
I wanted the Blue Cash Preferred, but when I found out that I wouldn't get cash back for my supermarket of choice (WM), it wouldn't have been worth the fee anymore. So I went with the blue everyday.

I then got the idea that I could just buy a gift card at any supermarket or pharmacy store allowed, then just use that money to buy my stuff at WM. But I think that doesn't work either since it would be considered a cash purchase.

I came across this website and have been reading about sites like BigCrumbs and the Amex GC Store etc... Do you guys know how to earn cash back at places not considered supermarkets? The supermarket is the only one that concerns me because when it comes to gas I'm ok and the pharmacy stores like CVS and Walgreens I'm good too. Just groceries.. I would get the preferred instantly if I can make it work.
I've never seen a Wal-Mart gift card at any grocery store. I have purchased many other gift cards at grocery stores and received the 6% cash back.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
I've never seen a Wal-Mart gift card at any grocery store. I have purchased many other gift cards at grocery stores and received the 6% cash back.
So buying a gift card that is specific to a restaurant or department store etc.. does give you the cash back? I asked a rep if buying a gift card at a qualifying store gave me cash back they said no.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have appended jaydcc's questions to the established thread discussing the BCP card and supermarkets.

American Express terms do exclude certain types of prepaid cards from rewards (see below), but merchant giftcards are not "prepaid giftcards" for these purposes, and in practice there is very little evidence that American Express enforces this provision. However, they may ASK you if you are buying such cards if your account is subject to a Financial Review, and a truthful answer is the best course.

Blue Cash Reward Dollars on Eligible Purchases
Cash back is earned only on eligible purchases and is earned in the form of Blue Cash Reward Dollars (reward dollars). You can redeem reward dollars for statement credits in increments of 25 whenever your total available reward dollar balance is 25 or more. The number of reward dollars you earn is based on a percentage of the dollar amount of your eligible purchases during each billing period. From time to time we may at our option offer you other ways to redeem reward dollars, such as for gift cards or merchandise. The minimum redemption is 25 reward dollars.

Eligible Purchases means purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply.
An annual reward year is 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one that includes January 1st; if your billing cycle changes, the length of your annual reward year will also change.

You will earn a reward of 6% on the first $6,000 of eligible purchases in an annual reward year at supermarkets located in the U.S. (superstores and warehouse clubs are not considered supermarkets; 3% on eligible purchases of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations); 3% on eligible purchases at select department stores located in the U.S. (The current list of select major department stores at which you can earn a 3% reward is available at americanexpress.com/rewards-info); and 1% on all other eligible purchases.

Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through a third-party payment account or on an online marketplace (with multiple retailers) will not earn a higher percentage reward. A purchase may not earn a higher percentage reward if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

Reviewing these threads may also be helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2013-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...permarket.html
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:38 am

So buying a gift card that is specific to a restaurant or department store etc.. does give you the cash back? I asked a rep if buying a gift card at a qualifying store gave me cash back they said no.
As mia has explained above, there are exceptions to every "rule". I have had the BC Preferred for 3 + years and never had a problem getting cash back for gift card purchases. Of course, if all you use it is for gift card purchases, then this may come to AMEX attention. I use my card 90% for regular purchases and 10% for gift cards.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by onthego15
As mia has explained above, there are exceptions to every "rule". I have had the BC Preferred for 3 + years and never had a problem getting cash back for gift card purchases. Of course, if all you use it is for gift card purchases, then this may come to AMEX attention. I use my card 90% for regular purchases and 10% for gift cards.
Hello onthego15,

Can you give an example of an exception to the rule? In what ways or conditions can you get cash back for a gift card? The GC's wouldn't be my main expenditure but since my grocery store doesn't qualify and is where the heavier spending happens. I do go to qualifying supermarkets as well but for certain things. So as things are, the preferred would earn me less than the no fee. But if I could make full use of the 6% a year, I would be earning almost a $200 more with the preferred even after the annual fee.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have appended jaydcc's questions to the established thread discussing the BCP card and supermarkets.

American Express terms do exclude certain types of prepaid cards from rewards (see below), but merchant giftcards are not "prepaid giftcards" for these purposes, and in practice there is very little evidence that American Express enforces this provision. However, they may ASK you if you are buying such cards if your account is subject to a Financial Review, and a truthful answer is the best course.

Reviewing these threads may also be helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-2013-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...permarket.html
Thank you for the links Mia, I will look them over. It's nice to go to a credit card forum that is still active.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:03 pm

Hello onthego15,

Can you give an example of an exception to the rule? In what ways or conditions can you get cash back for a gift card? The GC's wouldn't be my main expenditure but since my grocery store doesn't qualify and is where the heavier spending happens. I do go to qualifying supermarkets as well but for certain things. So as things are, the preferred would earn me less than the no fee. But if I could make full use of the 6% a year, I would be earning almost a $200 more with the preferred even after the annual fee.
Mia's post describes some of the exceptions.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:17 pm

jaydcc, if your goal is to maximize cash back, then you should read up on the AMEX sync offers. I earn as much or more cash back from AMEX's special offers as I do from the 6% cash back. There is a thread on these offers in this forum and much more info elsewhere on the web.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:16 am

Hi guys, does anyone know how long after meeting spending threshold the signup will be posted? IIRC, amex usually posts it in 1-2 days after the transaction posted, but I haven't seen the $150.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.