Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:32 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by timelinex
... clarity....
Agreed. American Express could easily clarify that if you have a Green, Gold, or Platinum charge card for this business, or any other business, you are not eligible for this offer. It's so simple a moderator can do it .
Old Jul 29, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I'm in the process of an AOR. I want to apply for the Amex PRG personal 25k after $2000 spend. The application landing page makes no mention of the 25k bonus. This is what it says.

Selected Card Image
Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
Average Cardmember Rating:#
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card membership, then $175. There is no annual fee for up to 5 Additional Cards. The annual fee for 6 or more Additional Cards is $35 for each Card.
REVIEW CARD BENEFITS
See FAQs
Rates and Fees

There is no mention of the bonus in the FAQ or other links.

I have a SPG Amex and no other Amex that earns Membership Rewards. I don't want to get screwed over on this deal. How can I make sure I will get the bonus before I apply?

*****************Update: I called the number that was on creditcards.com 877-915-6387. A lady processed the app, approved it and confirmed that I would get the 25k after $2000 spend. I made a point of asking her if the SPG card would disqualify me and she said it wouldn't.

Last edited by Tiki; Jul 29, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Originally Posted by Tiki
I'm in the process of an AOR. I want to apply for the Amex PRG personal 25k after $2000 spend. The application landing page makes no mention of the 25k bonus. This is what it says.

Selected Card Image
Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
Average Cardmember Rating:#
$0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card membership, then $175. There is no annual fee for up to 5 Additional Cards. The annual fee for 6 or more Additional Cards is $35 for each Card.
REVIEW CARD BENEFITS
See FAQs
Rates and Fees

There is no mention of the bonus in the FAQ or other links.

I have a SPG Amex and no other Amex that earns Membership Rewards. I don't want to get screwed over on this deal. How can I make sure I will get the bonus before I apply?

*****************Update: I called the number that was on creditcards.com 877-915-6387. A lady processed the app, approved it and confirmed that I would get the 25k after $2000 spend. I made a point of asking her if the SPG card would disqualify me and she said it wouldn't.
The Amex website has a strange (intentional?) quirk whereby you sometimes get taken to a different landing page for a credit card if you have logged into the Amex site in the past and have their cookie in your browser (i.e. they can identify you as already being an Amex customer). This might be what happened in your case. In the future, if you see something like this happen again, clear your cookies, close and restart your browser, and then click through to the credit card landing page again and see what happens.

-S
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:41 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
deleted for wrong thread

Last edited by zzyzx; Aug 13, 2013 at 7:06 pm Reason: duplicated .it is wrong thread
Old Aug 11, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by zzyzx
I had one personal card cancelled about just less than a year ago, and I decided to apply a business card. I got approved instantly.
I think you may have the wrong thread?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:59 am

Help: Amex Does Not Acknowledge Sign-up Bonus

FlyerTalkers, I need help with regards to my recent application of Amex Delta Gold Card.

I applied through https://www.deltaamexcard.com/. After I put in my SkyMiles # and last name, I found a targeted offer that spending $750 in the first 3 months will generate 35,000 miles. I went on with the offer and got the card approved. I kept the screenshot in case Amex refused to give me the bonus.

After spending $ 750, I contacted Amex Delta Gold Card representatives to inquire when the sign-up bonus would be posted. He told me I was only eligible for the offer 10,000 miles after first purchase, which everyone can see from the website. I ask him to further investigate.

Amex Marketing Team got back to me stating that I was not eligible. I provided the offer ID (POID) and asked to further investigate. The answer is still no.

Amex declined to provide me any email address/fax number that I can send out my screenshot. The last representative politely said: "I am very sorry that there is no way you can communicate with the marketing team and send your screenshot. If they determined you were not eligible, you are not eligible."

If anyone has the similar experience, please advise how do I proceed?

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 10:33 am

Maybe someone else has heard of it, but I've never seen a 10K offer Are they denying you because you previously received some kind of bonus?

While my bonus wasn't for DL, I did get my MR bonus points after six months of trying....so don't give up ^
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Maybe someone else has heard of it, but I've never seen a 10K offer Are they denying you because you previously received some kind of bonus?

While my bonus wasn't for DL, I did get my MR bonus points after six months of trying....so don't give up ^
Thanks!

This is my first Delta card and I have not received any sign-up bonus before.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
American Express Twitter Angel Honors Sign-up Bonus

A sizable bonus for spending $5,000/3 months on my Delta SkyMiles Business Platinum Card never posted upon satisfying the threshold. Phoned immediately and a rep verified I qualified and stated I would receive during next month's cycle.

Bonus miles didn't post (again) and after speaking with multiple agents, a supervisor, online chat and retention (contemplated cancelling all AX accounts and pulling cash from AX Bank), was told I didn't qualify and no bonus miles would be awarded.

I was fuming and resolved to pursue via other means, but decided to Tweet @AskAmex. The Amex Angel researched and within 2 hours, resolved the issue and apologized for the inconvenience. ABSOLUTELY amazed and expectations exceeded with her empathy, professionalism and determination to resolve a tough issue (that I'm sure required senior approval).

Thank you American Express!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:19 pm

Never earned sign-up bonus

I signed up for an AMEX Platinum card in June. I applied from the AMEX web site, which offered a 25,000 sign-up bonus after an initial spend, which I met.

They did not credit the 25,000 points.

I called card services. "We don't know why."
I called membership rewards. "We don't know why. We have no record."

I wrote to the head of the US Marketing Division, who passed it back to an email. "We have no record." I had included a printout from the web site including the information about the 25,000 Membership Rewards points.

Any ideas on recourse? The FTC can't mediate an individual dispute. And AMEX's answer is just "we have no record."

I welcome any ideas.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Mats
-------------
Any ideas on recourse? The FTC can't mediate an individual dispute. And AMEX's answer is just "we have no record."

I welcome any ideas.
TWITTER!

Pls see the post just above yours.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
I signed up for an AMEX Platinum card in June. I applied from the AMEX web site, which offered a 25,000 sign-up bonus after an initial spend, which I met.

They did not credit the 25,000 points.
25,000 MR points is chump change. Any CS Rep should have just credited you on the spot.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:52 pm

Thanks, Jagmap.
I saw it as "chump change" too. I don't know why they're being so weird about it. It's a pretty cut and dry case.

I'll try tweeting.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:08 pm

Thanks, Jagmap.
I saw it as "chump change" too. I don't know why they're being so weird about it. It's a pretty cut and dry case.

I'll try tweeting.
Have you had any similar card within 12 months?
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:10 pm

Nope.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.