Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I can confirm they are unable if you have had oodles of Amex cards as they have to sift through them all at aren't very good at doing so.
Strangely, they seem to become much better at sifting through them all after you have paid your annual fee and completed the spend for the card and are looking for your signing bonus. Then, they seem to have a very good system for finding any cards you have ever signed up for.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:27 pm

I would encourage anyone who has been deceived by Amex to do as we have - CANCEL YOUR CARDS
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
So I am trying to decide what to do. I got a mailed PRG offer for 50k points. There is no language anywhere on it stating that those who have had the card before (as I have) are not eligible. To my mind, this means that I am eligible for the 50k points, as there is nothing telling me I'm not eligible.

Do I understand correctly that some people in my situation have applied, met the minimum spend, and then been denied the points? Did any of those people complain to the CFPB about the fraud Amex perpetrated on them, or seek redress in the courts?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 4:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by snic
...I got a mailed PRG offer...
I don't think you will have a problem using a postal mail offer that is addressed to you. We have many reports from people who received targeted offers without exclusions and earned the bonus.

Problems are more likely to occur when offers are "found" online or people assume that a targeted offer doesn't include the exclusion, and they do not read carefully.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Facebook Ad/Sponsored Post

The other day, I saw a Amex ad on Facebook for 50k/$3k offer to upgrade to the Platinum. Although I didn't complete the upgrade process, the page did continue to mention the offer after I entered my credentials.

Has anyone had success on upgrading to the Platinum and receiving the bonus? My concern is that Amex would accept my upgrade but later decide the 50k/$3k offer wasn't really meant for me.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Here's what I've learned about Amex' backward computer systems.

The most critical transaction to getting your threshold bonus is ONLY the transaction that brings you OVER the threshold. So, theoretically if your threshold is $5000 and your spending is as follows:

1st Purchase $4999
2nd purchase $3.00 Apple store
3rd purchase $25

If you return the 2nd purchase -- YOU WILL LOSE THE THRESHOLD BONUS! The threshold is effectively attached to the purchase that brought you over the threshold. Their system does not recognize the fact that you had a subsequent purchase of $25 to bring you back over the threshold.

In addition, you should also keep in mind that during the course of reaching your threshold spending, Amex will NOT net out returns that occur during your efforts to reach the threshold.

SO, here's another spending scenario. In this scenario let's just pretend your spending threshold is only $1,000. Let's say you have the following spending within 1 month (ie within the typical 3 month threshold time period):

1st Purchase $500
2nd Purchase $250
RETURN/CREDIT of item 1 -- $500
3rd Purchase $275

Gross purchases: $1025
NET purchases (ie net of the return): $525

In this scenario -- you actually **would** receive the threshold points based on the 3rd purchase!!! So, DO NOT RETURN THAT item or you will then LOSE your threshold points. Also, you do NOT need to continue spending more $$ on the card (ie $475) because according to Amex you've spent $1025.

It appears that this Amex computer programming is the only way they could figure out how to prevent 'scammers' -- I suppose the alternative of calculating net purchases (and ensuring that certain credits -- ie payments) did not screw up their calculation -- was too difficult.

What all of this means is that for Amex to give you your threshold points after you returned that KEY purchase that brought you over the GROSS spending threshold, they need to send the issue to their IT department to "reassign" the designation to the item that, in fact, is the new item that had you cross the threshold.

So, in the first example above, let's look at that third purchase (again, let's assume all of these happen within the three months):

1st Purchase $4999
RETURN $3.00 APPLE STORE purchase
3rd purchase $25.00

Based on the scenario above, your KEY purchase was the $3.00 apple store purchase -- because it was RETURNED, you are now SCREWED! So, what an Amex supervisor has to do is to contact their IT department to reassign the threshold from the Apple Store purchase (ie #2) to the 3rd purchase (ie the $25.00). This is a manual process that effectively triggers an audit of your purchases -- the supervisor will now look at every transaction and calculate your true (ie NET) spending to determine if and WHEN you met the spending threshold. They created this safeguard to prevent fraudulent points schemers, so they will scrutinize your account to determine if you are "worthy" of the threshold points -- FOR real this time, and not based on their screwed up IT logic. If you are entitled to the points, the IT department will attach the threshold points to the qualifying purchase within 6-8 weeks of that purchase date. So, be prepared to be patient.

The lesson for everyone is:

#1. Be mindful of your GROSS spending
#2 DO NOT RETURN the critical purchase that pushes you across your GROSS spending threshold (ie what Amex believes is your real threshold).
#3 If you do end up breaking rule#2.... be patient.... but persistent (assuming you legitimately are entitled to the threshold points)
Thanks! However, I wish I had read this post earlier. I made the mistake, and the front line people have no clue. They want me to wait 8 weeks after the last spend that brings me over the threshold (which I believe they calculated incorrectly as they took spend minus returns and credits, which included $200 of airline credits. Is it 8 weeks on top of those 8 weeks? Is there anything I can say to get the process started earlilier?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Here's what I've learned about Amex' backward computer systems.

The most critical transaction to getting your threshold bonus is ONLY the transaction that brings you OVER the threshold. So, theoretically if your threshold is $5000 and your spending is as follows:

1st Purchase $4999
3rd purchase $25

If you return the 2nd purchase -- YOU WILL LOSE THE THRESHOLD BONUS! The threshold is effectively attached to the purchase that brought you over the threshold. Their system does not recognize the fact that you had a subsequent purchase of $25 to bring you back over the threshold.

In addition, you should also keep in mind that during the course of reaching your threshold spending, Amex will NOT net out returns that occur during your efforts to reach the threshold.

SO, here's another spending scenario. In this scenario let's just pretend your spending threshold is only $1,000. Let's say you have the following spending within 1 month (ie within the typical 3 month threshold time period):

1st Purchase $500
2nd Purchase $250
RETURN/CREDIT of item 1 -- $500
3rd Purchase $275

Gross purchases: $1025
NET purchases (ie net of the return): $525

In this scenario -- you actually **would** receive the threshold points based on the 3rd purchase!!! So, DO NOT RETURN THAT item or you will then LOSE your threshold points. Also, you do NOT need to continue spending more $$ on the card (ie $475) because according to Amex you've spent $1025.

It appears that this Amex computer programming is the only way they could figure out how to prevent 'scammers' -- I suppose the alternative of calculating net purchases (and ensuring that certain credits -- ie payments) did not screw up their calculation -- was too difficult.

What all of this means is that for Amex to give you your threshold points after you returned that KEY purchase that brought you over the GROSS spending threshold, they need to send the issue to their IT department to "reassign" the designation to the item that, in fact, is the new item that had you cross the threshold.

So, in the first example above, let's look at that third purchase (again, let's assume all of these happen within the three months):

1st Purchase $4999
RETURN $3.00 APPLE STORE purchase
3rd purchase $25.00

Based on the scenario above, your KEY purchase was the $3.00 apple store purchase -- because it was RETURNED, you are now SCREWED! So, what an Amex supervisor has to do is to contact their IT department to reassign the threshold from the Apple Store purchase (ie #2) to the 3rd purchase (ie the $25.00). This is a manual process that effectively triggers an audit of your purchases -- the supervisor will now look at every transaction and calculate your true (ie NET) spending to determine if and WHEN you met the spending threshold. They created this safeguard to prevent fraudulent points schemers, so they will scrutinize your account to determine if you are "worthy" of the threshold points -- FOR real this time, and not based on their screwed up IT logic. If you are entitled to the points, the IT department will attach the threshold points to the qualifying purchase within 6-8 weeks of that purchase date. So, be prepared to be patient.

The lesson for everyone is:

#1. Be mindful of your GROSS spending
#2 DO NOT RETURN the critical purchase that pushes you across your GROSS spending threshold (ie what Amex believes is your real threshold).
#3 If you do end up breaking rule#2.... be patient.... but persistent (assuming you legitimately are entitled to the threshold points)
Is there any reason to assume that this info has now changed? I had a mixup of payment addresses and this put me below the spend threshold on a card that has a lapsed min spend timeframe, and the payment is going to be refunded. Thankfully, the threshold charge for me is a different one.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, United Presidential Card, Amex Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Yes indeed! Amex is indeed fraudulent

Originally Posted by snic
So I am trying to decide what to do. I got a mailed PRG offer for 50k points. There is no language anywhere on it stating that those who have had the card before (as I have) are not eligible. To my mind, this means that I am eligible for the 50k points, as there is nothing telling me I'm not eligible.

Do I understand correctly that some people in my situation have applied, met the minimum spend, and then been denied the points? Did any of those people complain to the CFPB about the fraud Amex perpetrated on them, or seek redress in the courts?
Yes, you understand correctly. My wife got an offer in the mail for a Starwood Amex. She called Amex to make sure that she would get the bonus points. She then proceeded to make the minimum spend. She waited a couple of months for the bonus points to post -- when they did not, Amex told her that she had had an SPG Amex card a few years ago and therefore would not get the bonus points. It did not matter that she had called and gotten the go-ahead before she started putting the spend on the card. She was ripped off by Amex. I am amazed that no lawyers have sued Amex for this fraudulent scheme yet.

We've lacked the energy to complain to the CFPB, but just don't give Amex our business any longer.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:56 am
formerly mattrendell27

Wife was approved for Green card through incognito offer for 25k MR with $1k spend about a month ago. First statement recently closed on 4/15. On 4/20 she made a $1003 purchase and usually we find that the sign up bonus posts with the charge or sometimes the next day. This is not her first MR earning card, i.e. she has an established MR account.

It still hasn't posted. Anyone find it sometimes takes longer? Or is it possible that something went wrong with the tracking of the incognito offer? I feel like I read a couple cases of that a long time ago.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
Wife was approved for Green card through incognito offer for 25k MR with $1k spend about a month ago. First statement recently closed on 4/15. On 4/20 she made a $1003 purchase and usually we find that the sign up bonus posts with the charge or sometimes the next day. This is not her first MR earning card, i.e. she has an established MR account.

It still hasn't posted. Anyone find it sometimes takes longer? Or is it possible that something went wrong with the tracking of the incognito offer? I feel like I read a couple cases of that a long time ago.
LOL it can take weeks, read the terms
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:10 am
mia

Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
...usually we find that the sign up bonus posts with the charge or sometimes the next day.
Originally Posted by mysterym
... can take weeks, read the terms
True and true. There is no reliable pattern of new account bonus posting. It can happen immediately, or the points may go pending, or may post at the maximum time stated in the offer terms, or they may never post.

My hypothesis is that this inconsistency is an artifact of batch processing. If a qualifying transaction isn't picked up on the first pass the system may not look again at transactions from that date until they run a different type of sweep.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:17 am
formerly mattrendell27

Originally Posted by mia
True and true. There is no reliable pattern of new account bonus posting. It can happen immediately, or the points may go pending, or may post at the maximum time stated in the offer terms, or they may never post.

My hypothesis is that this inconsistency is an artifact of batch processing. If a qualifying transaction isn't picked up on the first pass the system may not look again at transactions from that date until they run a different type of sweep.
Ah I see what you're saying. Hopefully it posts eventually then
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Deceptive AMEX welcome bonus practice

My wife applied and was accepted for the AMEX $550 Platinum card with the 60000 MR point bonus after a 3 month spend of $5000. She received a mailer RSVP code and POID code with without the disqualifying welcome bonus language that disqualifies the bonus with a previously held same card . She had the same Platinum AMEX card and cancelled it two years ago. Just to be sure that she would be eligible for the welcome bonus, we asked the AMEX agents to double check her eligibility. Two AMEX reps and one supervisor stated that she was eligible while two other supervisors stated that she was not eligible. The last supervisor stated that the mailer was a genetic letter that was mailed out to the masses. This was an outright lie as the letter was a targeted offer addressed to my wife personally and had specific RSVP and POID codes. She also stated that the AMEX rep stated the terms and conditions of the welcome bonus verbally during the disclosure statements that would disqualify her if she had the card previously. This was another lie as no such language was communicated to her. The supervisor then stated that she would file an internal investigation to determine her eligibility but the result of the investigation would not be known to us. She stated that if she received the welcome bonus after the spend requirements, then she was eligible and if she did not receive the bonus, then she was not eligible. What a crock! I told her to cancel the application.
Unfortunately, it appears that reps and supervisors interpret the welcome bonus language differently. How can the consumer make an informed decision to apply for a card when a flashy mailer is received promising a welcome bonus but fails to mention that previous card holders are a disqualified.? This practice is a bait and switch at worst or at least deceptive in nature at the least.
My plan is to contact AMEX one more time to see if they will honor the terms and agreements of the offer. If they fail to do so, I plan to seek out an attorney. I also plan to file a complaint with the FCPB. AMEX picked the wrong person to mess with!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:22 am
mia

If the exclusion does not appear in the written offer it does not apply. Many people receive targeted offers without the exclusion and receive another bonus. I do not understand why you are even asking, but nothing that customer service might tell you is binding. If you have a written offer that's all you need.

Originally Posted by Moflav
... This was an outright lie ...
Most false statements are mistakes, not lies.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Gold
This has happened to me and is why I will never have another AX card ever again. They are a very dishonorable company. I am so glad Costco dropped them which was the only reason I kept AX over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.