Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) refuses to honor signup bonus [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: hilton gold,hyatt
Amex gold card,denied bonus

I recently applied for the Gold card and spent 2k,but they denied the bonus saying i had the card before,i dont remember having it,but had amex platinum card.when i was applying even after entering the info it showed me i was eligible for bonus points.I have the screenshot saying i will get 50k points.
so are they any options or just no chance.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by newbieflyer1
...denied the bonus saying i had the card before,i dont remember having it,
I would begin by reviewing this thread, including the Wikipost at the top:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etime-usa.html

Did you ask for specifics of when you previously held the identical card?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:06 pm

Am told by Amex that I don't qualify for the 25,000 bonus on the Gold card because I have had the card before. I know I've never had the card. The rep pulled up an old statement and said it's actually the Rewards Plus Gold and it's the old name for the Gold card. Does anyone know if the rep is correct? I couldn't find the Rewards Plus Gold on the Amex website. Plus, I thought that was the old name for the PRG card.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
Am told by Amex that I don't qualify for the 25,000 bonus on the Gold card because I have had the card before. I know I've never had the card. The rep pulled up an old statement and said it's actually the Rewards Plus Gold and it's the old name for the Gold card. Does anyone know if the rep is correct? I couldn't find the Rewards Plus Gold on the Amex website. Plus, I thought that was the old name for the PRG card.
I wonder if I'm running into the same problem. I would have expected my Gold 25k bonus to hit by now and it hasn't. Getting worried.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:52 am
mia

Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
Rewards Plus Gold and it's the old name for the Gold card. .
Rewards Plus Gold was replaced by Premier Rewards Gold, but I would consider it a separate product from both PRG and the generic Gold card, because there were a few different Gold cards offered at that time. I will have to do some research to reconstruct the names and features, but it won't much matter if American Express has it coded as the same product.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:52 pm

missing sign up bonus

a while back my husband and i both signed up for the american express platinum card with the 100K bonus. my husband got his no problem, but mine never posted so i opened an investigation. now they are claiming the offer was not on my application pages and i get no bonus at all. they also say this will stop me from getting a bonus on this card in the future. i sent in a screenshot of the offer. i signed up for.

has anyone ever had any luck winning an argument like this? any advice on what to do next?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Read the T&Cs of your original offer, if still available.

The T&Cs pretty much determines your chance of success.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:58 am
mia

Originally Posted by risaday
a while back my husband and i both signed up for the american express platinum card with the 100K bonus.
Did you submit consecutive applications using the same PC? Did you use a fresh Incognito or Private browser window for each application?

Originally Posted by risaday
... this will stop me from getting a bonus on this card in the future.
Correct. Once you have held a personal card you are not eligible for a new account bonus on the same product, even if you did not receive a bonus previously.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:36 pm

American Express and issues with honoring bonuses?

Hey all.

My wife received the targeted 100k/$3000 offer for the AMEX platinum, applied and was approved. I took screenshots of the offer on both pages where it showed up in the application process. She met minimum spend but now only has 60k bonus points showing up. Talked with an agent via SM, who said that only the 60k offer was on her account. When we mentioned the screenshots of us receiving the 100k offer (and stressing that we would NOT have applied for the card if we hadn't received that offer), they said would look into it and to check back in a week.

I did a forum search for this, but the similar topics I found were from 2012. I also did a google search, and found similarly dated discussions from several years back, where many of these disputes ended unfavorably... even WITH screenshots of the appropriate offer.

Is this a common occurence? And are there any more recent data-points on this, and recommended actions? I'm nervous about my wife's bonus (where we have screenshots). I'm also nervous about my new AMEX PRG where I'm about to hit minimum spending for the 50k/$1000 offer, and in this case I forgot to grab a screenshot of the offer so I have no proof. Is it reasonably likely I will get short-changed on this bonus as well?

Thanks!

Edit: Underlined text corrected

Last edited by beefninja; Mar 16, 2016 at 6:58 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:52 pm
mia

Originally Posted by beefninja
My wife received the targeted 100k/$3000 offer for the AMEX platinum, applied and was approved. I took screenshots of the offer on both pages where it showed up in the application process. She met minimum spend but now only has 60k bonus points showing up. Talked with an agent via SM, who said that only the 60k offer was on my account.
1. How was the offer received? Through the postal service, by email or was it "found" online?

2. Did you talk to the agent about your wife's account or your own account? (Conflicting text highlighted in red.)
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
1. How was the offer received? Through the postal service, by email or was it "found" online?

2. Did you talk to the agent about your wife's account or your own account? (Conflicting text highlighted in red.)
#2 first: Good catch. Fixed original post. All this is concerning her AMEX Platinum account.

#1. The offer was on the American Express website, via the "View your prequalified Offers" section, wherein you enter your personal details and the last 4 digits of your SSN (URL: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...alified-offers). I had been checking that every week or so for both my wife and myself. When we saw that hers was coming up as 100k (we had previously been seeing only 40k offers), we applied, and were sure to take screenshots. I have no idea how they got 60k, as I was only seeing a ton of 40k and the one 100k offer.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:00 pm
mia

... I have no idea how they got 60k, as I was only seeing a ton of 40k and the one 100k offer.
Agreed. If you review historical reports (in this thread), most people were told there was "no" offer associated with the application, or only the standard offer (40k). The fact that they show an offer for a different amount is encouraging, and it sounds as if you have sufficient evidence to convince them that her account displayed a 100,000 point offer.

Did the offer include a number? Something in this format:

POID BV2R:0003
OFFER CODE: 2EU3-4KFGGR-2NXH-HMC
(This is an actual code from the current Premier Rewards Gold 50,000/$1k offer. It won't help you with your claim.)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed. If you review historical reports (in this thread), most people were told there was "no" offer associated with the application, or only the standard offer (40k). The fact that they show an offer for a different amount is encouraging, and it sounds as if you have sufficient evidence to convince them that her account displayed a 100,000 point offer.

Did the offer include a number? Something in this format:

(This is an actual code from the current Premier Rewards Gold 50,000/$1k offer. It won't help you with your claim.)
That sounds promising then regarding my wife's Platinum. I would think that a screenshot would be fairly bulletproof, though it seems others have had difficulty. At least... with the other people who had difficulty, it seems most of their issues were with unknowingly having already had the card a few years back and forgotten about it. Since this is my wife's first AMEX of any type, that doesn't seem to affect us, and probably bodes positive.

With regards to my PRG, I have no proof, as taking a screenshot slipped my mind. But that one seems to be fine, as I just met minimum spend and I can see 50k pending points in my account.

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 12:10 pm

That sounds promising then regarding my wife's Platinum. I would think that a screenshot would be fairly bulletproof, though it seems others have had difficulty. At least... with the other people who had difficulty, it seems most of their issues were with unknowingly having already had the card a few years back and forgotten about it. Since this is my wife's first AMEX of any type, that doesn't seem to affect us, and probably bodes positive.

With regards to my PRG, I have no proof, as taking a screenshot slipped my mind. But that one seems to be fine, as I just met minimum spend and I can see 50k pending points in my account.

Thanks for the help!
Update/Datapoint:

SM'ed with a CSR (a week after they told me to "check back" in a week), and this time they mentioned that the process could take 6-8 weeks because it is in the hands of the "Marketing" team.

We told them that was a bit ridiculous. My wife signed up when she received the 100k offer, have screenshots, and was trying to provide them to anyone who would look at them but no-one wanted them. He said to upload them (via the American Express document upload system), which she did, and that he would notate my account for the marketing team to look at them.

This is annoying. It's annoying because it's kind of a clown-show of customer service on what they advertise as their flagship product. But it's more annoying because we've already met the minimum spend. Since the Platinum card is bad for continued earning on spending, we would stop using the card. Giving the on-going dispute though, we don't want to give the impression that my wife is a customer who signs up for the bonus, then ditches it once receiving it.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Giving the on-going dispute though, we don't want to give the impression that my wife is a customer who signs up for the bonus, then ditches it once receiving it.
Are you sure you wouldn't just be giving the impression that your wife is a customer who stopped using the card because she's mad at the run-around that their terrible customer service is giving you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.