Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by CFFrost
...All the benefits of the MB Plat appear to be the same as the standard Plat - with the obvious addition of the MB benefits. Are there any other differences I'm missing?
I encourage you to read this thread where the Mercedes card has been thoroughly dissected:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...and-cards.html
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:52 am

Thanks mia. I read the entire thread and now have a pretty good understanding of the card. However, I don't have much interest in a MB co-branded card, so still curious how the terms have been interpreted if anyone is willing to share
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is some discussion of the new terms in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...6-26-12-a.html

Note that the interpretation of the terms provided in that thread is different than the interpretation reported earlier in this one. The real problem is that this language is so new that all we have are reports of discussions with CSR's, no actual test results.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by mia
It is unusual for American Express, or any card issuer, to offer an upgrade until the account is 12+ months old. This is due to a provision in the C.A.R.D. Act which prohibits annual fee increases in the first year. It could be that American Express has changed their interpretation of how the law applies to product changes, but it could also be that if you attempt to claim the upgrade you will then be told that your account is not eligible.
Just a data point, my wife has a biz gold < 1 year old that was solicited via email to upgrade to plat for 25k points.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL GM
I have been wanting to upgrade my PRG to Plat for a while now, but all I ever get when I log in is the 25k upgrade bonus. Has anyone successfully negotiated a bigger MR points bonus for doing the PRG-standard Plat upgrade?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
I have been wanting to upgrade my PRG to Plat for a while now, but all I ever get when I log in is the 25k upgrade bonus. Has anyone successfully negotiated a bigger MR points bonus for doing the PRG-standard Plat upgrade?
I am in the same boat. Got exact 25k upgrade offer from PRG to Plat. Thought bigger one might show up so I just sit and wait. Now it's gone from my account.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:28 am

Gold to Plat. upgrade problem

I upgrade my gold to plat. oct 23, I look at my online account and saw that the picture of card change so I click on the benefit bar on top to see all my nice stuff that I can enroll in and what I got was a gold card benefit advertisement ,so called plat rep. and they said I had to wait intill my billing cycle ends(which is nov14.) Than 2 days into my new cycle I click on the benefit bar again and this time I got a plat. benefit advertisement, call again, now they say I have to wait 2 cycle.o.k so call back a day later and spoke to another rep. and they said a supervisor will open a ticket and fix it, now its back to gold advertisement... plus my membership rewards looks very little basic ( no fancy sports cars to buy or expensive jewelry) Now has anyone had this problem and how can I fix this?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: CX*GO, SPG Platinum
Never upgraded from Gold to Plat but for most of the benefits requirement enrolment (hotel statuses for example), you can call customer service and have them enrol for you. It might take a while for things to change in the website etc to reflect your new status, so be patient on that front. But you shouldn't have any problem accessing your platinum perks through customer service.

I didn't look for it but I don't think I saw fancy sports cars to buy on my MR First portal.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: Altitude 35K, Nexus/GE, Amex Platinum, Priority Pass, CX Marco Polo Gold, Visa Aerogold Infinite
I have a similar (but slightly different) problem.

I also have the Gold card, but want to upgrade to the Amex Canada's Platinum card through referral from a friend who already holds the Platinum card.

The point is he gets a 15,000 referral bonus, and I will get a 10,000 bonus on top of the 50,000 sign-up bonus.

My friend filled out all the information required in the "Refer a Friend" form on the Amex Canada website. I never received a link from Amex to apply. He did it again, twice, and still nothing. I called Amex and asked to speak with someone in Marketing. Couldn't get through to them. And they never called back. This has been two weeks now.

I already have two Amex cards including the Gold card, been a customer for 10 years, am never late with payment. My friend with the Platinum card is a Amex member in good standing. What gives? This is so strange. Can anyone offer an explanation?

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Old Nov 22, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
exdoll, welcome to FT.

I'm not sure I understand your question here. You said that it shows the Gold Benefits and then Platinum Benefits after 2 weeks. So why did you call them back again? I thought you wanted to see the Platinum Benefits? Something is screwy from what I can make of your post. I would send a message to them instead and have them look into it more. They are pretty responsive through those secure messages online.

operajoe, I'm not sure about the AMEX Platinum card for Canada, but are you sure they will give you all those points for an upgrade through a referral link? They usually will need to offer you that and it's not through a referral. If you do it through I referral, I think it will count as a new application (hard inquiry) and then you will get those points. Have your friend contact AMEX (through the website contact or call them up) to find out why the referral link is not going through to you.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:26 pm

I know it sounds a little crazy but if you click on your plat. benefits your see your plat. benefits but when I click on my plat. benefit, I see a gold card advertisement. Its just strange
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Yeah, but you mentioned that it did show the Platinum Benefit after 2 days into your cycle. So why did you call again?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
You keep saying a "gold card advertisement". Are you sure it's not actually an ad for the gold card? Or are you seeing the gold benefits instead of the platinum benefits? I think your wording of what you're seeing might be confusing.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:38 am

I never really got the real plat. benefit window,what I got was the plat. application screen. the one with the guy with thick glasses smiling...showing some of the benefits of plat. and than a "apply now" window
Old Nov 23, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Makes me think you never got the platinum card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.