Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Gold to Platinum [USA] [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:37 pm

Do cards other than Business Gold cards ever get upgrade offers to the Business Platinum? Wondering if there might be a benefit to opening up a Business Green card in hopes of getting an upgrade offer down the road at some point.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:01 pm

Also got the upgrade offer popped up this morning but decided not to click on it. And now the offer is back and sitting in the "offer for you". Few years back I had the Biz Gold and upgraded to the Biz Platinum. Few months ago I got the Biz Gold again for 75k MR points since it didn't have that once-in-a-life-time language. And now this 50K upgrade offer is appealing but it does say "Offer is available for first-time upgrades to the new business Platinum card only". I assume I will get the bonus since the card I had before was the old version of business platinum card??
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by frenchie2
.... I assume I will get the bonus since the card I had before was the old version of business platinum card??
I would not attribute much significance to terms like new or enhanced when used as a modifier of an existing product name. I don't think this is a new product because the incremental feature changes have been applied to existing Business Platinum accounts.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I would not attribute much significance to terms like new or enhanced when used as a modifier of an existing product name. I don't think this is a new product because the incremental feature changes have been applied to existing Business Platinum accounts.
Then the real question is -- will I get the 50K points this time if I upgrade? and technically it is the 2nd time I upgrade though each time is to a different Biz Gold card.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:05 pm

I have the offer to upgrade for 50,000 points after 10k spend. I currently have 75,000+ points pending for my signup bonus- any idea on whether I should wait for those points to post before upgrading or just upgrade now (aka will I lose the pending points)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by btk2333
I have the offer to upgrade for 50,000 points after 10k spend. I currently have 75,000+ points pending for my signup bonus- any idea on whether I should wait for those points to post before upgrading or just upgrade now (aka will I lose the pending points)
Call Amex and ask if they can post them. If calling does not work, tweet them. It has worked for me in the past (but YMMV). Then upgrade.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Can anyone tell me what the terms are for the upgrade from Gold biz to Plat biz? Is it spend $10k in 5 months for 50k MR? I think I'm going to try to get the upgrade by calling. Can't seem to get the pop up anymore.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Can anyone tell me what the terms are for the upgrade from Gold biz to Plat biz? Is it spend $10k in 5 months for 50k MR? I think I'm going to try to get the upgrade by calling. Can't seem to get the pop up anymore.
That's the offer appearing on my account but when I click the form and enter my CID to verify request it gives an error message. Called them up and they couldn't add manually, they submitted a ticket and said to call back in a week. This was last Friday.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bodiddely
That's the offer appearing on my account but when I click the form and enter my CID to verify request it gives an error message. Called them up and they couldn't add manually, they submitted a ticket and said to call back in a week. This was last Friday.
Where do you see the upgrade biz offer? If I go to offers, I get new app offers. I did get a pop up a few days ago and had an email last month with the offer (that one now expired).

UPDATE: nevermind. I found it!!! It's in the same place that regular offers are (like 2x points at Best Buy etc). Now I have to decide if I really want to upgrade rather than do new business app. I'm not sure the 50k MR extra are worth the hassle of 10k spend in 3 months (as opposed to 5 months), the extra fee (I'd get credited the prorate of recent gold AF), and the extra hard pull. Anyone else going ahead with the upgrade even though it disqualifies you from future new app bonus?

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Oct 25, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:25 am

Smile Invitation for Platinum upgrade

Hello,

I would like your inputs on this matter. I have a few questions.. thank you for your help!

1. I've had the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card for a year this coming November. I have not used the $100 Airline credit yet this year. However if I use the $100 now and upgrade to the Platinum card by November, will I still get the $200 credit after the upgrade? (Ex: $100 now, and $200 in November/December. So a total of $300 in credit in 2016)

2. Also how would the annual fee work for the Gold card if I upgrade before the annual fee is due which I assume will occur in November?

3. If I got the Platinum upgrade, I know the perks are the various airport lounges. Would I have access to ALL lounges in the airports or do they have to be affiliated with the same airlines as my airplane tickets?

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. I have moved your post into an established thread discussing upgrade offers. Reviewing recent posts should be helpful.

Originally Posted by travelsusie
... Would I have access to ALL lounges in the airports or do they have to be affiliated with the same airlines as my airplane tickets?
You will not have access to all airport lounges. For example: you will not have access to lounges operated by American Airlines or United Airlines.

You will have access to Delta's lounges, but only when flying on Delta.

You will have access to American Express's own Centurion lounges when flying on any airline.

You will have access to lounges which accept Priority Pass when flying any airline. You will need to enroll in Priority Pass.

You will also have access to three lounges operated by Airspace at airports where there are no Priority Pass lounges.

There are many benefits other than lounge access.

These threads will be helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ion-delta.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:13 pm

For those of you looking, I've seen the upgrade offer in four different places: in regular offers at bottom of webpage when logged in, in email offer, in pop up window, and in green banner across top of my page when logged in.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:17 pm

1. I've had the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card for a year this coming November. I have not used the $100 Airline credit yet this year. However if I use the $100 now and upgrade to the Platinum card by November, will I still get the $200 credit after the upgrade? (Ex: $100 now, and $200 in November/December. So a total of $300 in credit in 2016)
I had the Premier Rewards Gold and had already used my $100 credit a couple months ago. Today I did the upgrade to Platinum (50k/$5k spend) and was given the full $200 credit to use after selecting an airline.

2. Also how would the annual fee work for the Gold card if I upgrade before the annual fee is due which I assume will occur in November?
They will refund a pro-rated amount from your previous AF, and charge you a pro-rated new AF in about 45 days after the upgrade.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:06 pm

Wow thanks so much for that info!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Call Amex and ask if they can post them. If calling does not work, tweet them. It has worked for me in the past (but YMMV). Then upgrade.
Thanks for the advice- unfortunately I called the next day and they told me I was no longer eligible for the upgrade- no explanation for why- I'll probably HUCA a few times

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.